Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
Don't hold your breath!

I'm sure a few machines have made their way out to the public but with the Virginia Tech order and several other large orders out there I would recommend not holding your breath about receiving one soon. Now you have to define soon and it is within the month then decide if you can hold your breath. This is of course Apple and can anyone say when hardware was actually out on time?

Still, I can't wait to start shipping these, many clients call daily asking about their order and all I can say are nice soothing phrases to hold off the dire need and desire to get pissed. Like the old adverb, good things come to those who wait, though no where does it say how long the "wait" may be!

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Originally posted by zoozx
This means a speed bump will need to come in Jan - March to someplace in the 2.5 gig range.
Does any of that make sense.

Why will there be an intermediate speed bump?

nexus810

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2003
at macworld sf jobs will annonce the 3ghz g5 to come out in June... Meanwhile he only says June but he actually means June 2005... Which is then changed to august 2005 due to errors and "back to school orders"

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by nexus810
at macworld sf jobs will annonce the 3ghz g5 to come out in June... Meanwhile he only says June but he actually means June 2005... Which is then changed to august 2005 due to errors and "back to school orders"

Isn't 2005 a little optimistic, look how long it took the G4 to break the GHz barrier and we are now expecting a 1GHz speed bump...

theRebel

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2003
Re: Don't hold your breath!

Originally posted by jamesatzones
This is of course Apple and can anyone say when hardware was actually out on time?

Last month the 1.6Ghz and 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMacs were shipped on time.

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
Re: Re: Don't hold your breath!

Originally posted by theRebel
Last month the 1.6Ghz and 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMacs were shipped on time.

1.6 and 1.8 did ship out on time, so I retract my previous statement to a point: there are still not large quantities of both systems in the channel.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I think we as a group (that being Apple users) are still thinking like we did when Apple was dependent on Motorola. Those days are gone. Now about the 3GHz G5. The difference between IBM and Motorola is simple. Motorola would have or had to stop everything in order increase yields of the 2GHz PPC970 chips if they were producing them. This is not the case for IBM. The production development team is completely separate from the new chip development team. I don't know this for a fact but I have seen very strong evidence of it from the rapid development of the PPC970. While IBM may or may not be struggling to keep up on production of the 2GHz PPC970s (Remember production of the PowerMacs have been halted for the want of much much smaller parts in the past so there's no guarantee we're waiting for processors.) they have continued the development and engineering of the next generation PPC970 or maybe even the PPC980. Also Steve will want to ramp of the speed of the PowerMacs to be competitive on a paper as soon as possible so it wouldn't be impossible for them to announce a 3GHz PPC970 in January or February for the following month delivery.

sky131

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
Campus Computer at the University of Texas just got in a Dual 2 GHz demo yesterday, and I got to play with it for about 15 minutes. It was just the stock configuration, but it was insanely fast. After seeing and believing I will be placing an order for one tomorrow.

They also had the 1.6 model, but the dual was just intense.

I ran profiler on it and it had a Pioneer 106 in it as opposed to the Sony drive.

Hopefully the channel will be full of these by next month and everyone can experience the sheer awe of this machine.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Originally posted by yoshi1013
Right now part of me is thinking "Well, I've practically waited for four years so what's another month and a half?"

But the other part of me is thinking "Dude! I've been waiting for four years, get it to me NOW god dammit!!!"

Yeah, the evolution of the Mac and the G4 has kept me glued to these forums:D
I still love the Mac but figure I can wait until more people have tested them. I can wait until Dec or Jan. The thing is I was going to rush out and get the cheap one but I don't want to buy ram that won't be around for awhile:confused:
8-1gig memory sticks for the 1.8 and the 2. gig
are going to push the cost up quite a bit, so I'm going to wait...:(
daniel

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Still no pics. I don't buy this story, I've been to Acc. your Mac practically every hour. Either they've been duped or we're being duped but no pics, no machine, all hoax. Want to convince us? Show us some DP pix or some screen shots. Can't/dont show them? Lies and damned lies told by the liars that tell them.

Still waiting.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Photorun
Still no pics. I don't buy this story, I've been to Acc. your Mac practically every hour. Either they've been duped or we're being duped but no pics, no machine, all hoax. Want to convince us? Show us some DP pix or some screen shots. Can't/dont show them? Lies and damned lies told by the liars that tell them.

Still waiting.

I've been reading xlr8yourmac for years and have had a lot of correspondence with Mike Breeden the guy who runs XLR8yourmac.com and as said above if he says they're real, then they are.

txcraig75

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2003
Live Music Capital, World
Originally posted by sky131
Campus Computer at the University of Texas just got in a Dual 2 GHz demo yesterday, and I got to play with it for about 15 minutes. It was just the stock configuration, but it was insanely fast. After seeing and believing I will be placing an order for one tomorrow.

:eek:

Excuse me while I step out of the office and take a little trip down to 21st Street between Gregory Gym and Mo-Hill. }:8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.