The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's incredible how much they stink at the moment. Almost as bad as Mourinho-era Man Utd...talented squad but no cohesion, just chaos and sullen capitulation.

EDIT:...and now it's 4-0. Good grief.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed: This sullen capitulation is an issue; but Chelsea have sulked their way through seasons before - not least during their last season under The Special One.

Their owner's ambiguous legal standing and the unsettled aura surrounding Hazard cannot much help matters, either.

For Sarri, - as with Emery - for a while, he managed to make the team look a bit better than they actually are, but may be more aware of the actual challenges facing him now.

Having said that, a loss for Chelsea may offer some small advantage to Arsenal in the crush for fourth.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Chelsea are faced with a tough choice on whether to keep Sarri. I suspect he may leave after this season. Chelsea don't seem much affected by constant turnover. They are in turmoil one season and then win the league the next.

4. Scepticalscribe, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

For now, though, especially if Hazard departs, and with Liverpool and Manchester City so strong, Spurs brilliant but a little "Spursy" and, yes, erratic, the many talents at Manchester United coming together, (and Arsenal - perhaps - improving), I cannot see Chelsea seriously challenging for a title over the next few years.

Mind you, I could see Sarri depart this coming summer.

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Chelsea still have the bones of a title contender squad, and apart from the Manchester duopoly nobody else has won the Premier League in forever, apart from Leicester's wonderful little blip.

I'm cynical, so until I actually see Liverpool or Arsenal or Spurs lift the title, I say the Manchesters and Chelsea are just locked in forever. It's the Manchester Premier League, with Special Guests Chelsea.

6. Zenithal macrumors 604

I was busy the first half, but after seeing the score...

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, Liverpool can do it this year - they just have to hold their nerve. Remember, Liverpool have only been defeated once this season - City have already lost four matches.

They - Liverpool - have the squad, the manager, the attitude, and the time is right.

It was good for them to be on top for a while, and it means that Manchester City must play at their very best just to stay level with Liverpool.

Manchester United are still not complete, - although the improvement under OGS has been astonishing, (and damning of Mourinho who failed to ignite those same players) while Spurs - who also have the bones of an excellent squad, but who lack strength in depth - are too flighty.

Meanwhile, to my mind, Chelsea still have to put flesh on those bones, they are far from the finished article.

8. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

And now it's 5-0. Total humiliation for Chelsea, and the week's podcasts and punditry will be awash in the splendor of Pep's dominance.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Wow.

A six nil thrashing (a superb Manchester City destroy Chelsea) and thereby allow Arsenal to creep above Chelsea to claim fifth place on goal difference, as both teams are equal on points.

Manchester United are one point ahead of both Arsenal and Chelsea, lying fourth.

Spurs are a comfortable enough third, nine points ahead of Manchester United and ten ahead of bot Arsenal and Chelsea - while Manchester City and Liverpool vie for the top spot, equal on points, with Manchester City (after today's bravura performance) ahead on goal difference.

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

That was a major beatdown Manchester City did on Chelsea. The Chelsea goalkeeper must have felt like this: [​IMG]

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The Chelsea defence need to be held accountable, too.

Poor goal-keeping cannot be blamed for all of those goals; the defence needs to be sufficiently active and alert - and able to anticipate - and deal with - attacks - so that such attacks are snuffed out long before they get anywhere near the goal.

However, it is clear that Manchester City were on fire today, and any team in the PL would have had difficulties in dealing with them while they are playing to that level.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Looks like Ramsey is off to Juventus.
    Another player decided there are better options than Arsenal. I suppose the £325,000 might have helped make up his mind!

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, some months ago, Arsenal abruptly decided to put an end to negotiations to extend his contract; in truth, that left him pretty much a free agent.

As far as I know, when the season started, he had assumed that he would be retained by Arsenal - and that all that remained to be clarified were matters such as fees and so on. Arsenal pulled the plug, and that leaves him free to depart once the season ends. He served the club for eleven years - nobody can accuse him of excess greed.

14. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

At least they aren't selling him to a direct rival, like that time they sold RvP to Man Utd and his goals practically single-handedly won the league for them.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Indeed, although not all sales to direct rivals turn out so disastrously

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Although of course they’re not selling him at all. He’s walking out for free. That’s probably the worst bit for Arsenal.

17. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's not the first time they've done this...it's just inexplicable.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Agreed.

In other sad news I hear Gordon Banks has passed. Another of the England greats gone.

I’ve met two of the 66 legends. Geoff Hurst and Alan Ball. One was a lovely bloke. The other not so much.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Which of that pair was the twat?

Very sorry to learn of the passing of Gordon Banks: He was a legend and a gentleman.

20. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Five yellow cards handed out in the first half of the Man U/PSG match. How many will turn red in the second half?

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Well not the one you’d expect (especially from me!). Maybe he was having an off day.
    Anyway Alan Ball was a really nice guy. Took our football training session when I was about 8.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I wouldn't have expected it to be Hurst; interesting that Alan Ball was a decent guy.

All of the obits are very warm about Gordon Banks - an absolute gentleman who was both liked, respected (and, in some quarters, revered).

That car accident which robbed him of the sight in one eye was a tragedy, as good goalkeepers could easily go on until their mid to late thirties, especially then, and Banks was unusually fit by the standards of his era.

23. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Reality check for United. Ole has really improved the overall outlook for the club, but tonight clearly shows there is a lot of work remaining to be done with the squad. With their current weaknesses, they're far better off focusing on finishing top 4 and the FA Cup.

Once you have to sub Sanchez in for Martial, it's all over. He is finished at this level.

Marquinhos did a masterful job on Pogba.

[EDIT] And Pogba gets sent off. Send the youth squad to Parc des Princes.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, a bit of a reality check for Manchester United; both Chelsea and Arsenal had a decent undefeated run earlier in the season, but both, eventually, ran out of steam and shortcomings were exposed as injuries (and suspensions) took their toll.

However, by the same token, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer really has achieved an extraordinary amount with this team, - the contrast with his predecessor is striking - not least in restoring confidence, inspiring them to play as a team, and giving them a sense of focus and direction and positive ambition, and enabling some of the players to achieve their potential on the pitch.

25. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Di Maria was a disaster at Man Utd, but yesterday he demonstrated why they once thought it wise to make him their record signing. He is a class player.