The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Fantasy? Or Sheffield Wednesday?

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Happy with Man U 's 3-0 win today and temporary move into 4th place.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I’d have been happier if Rashford had played as he’s my captain! But yes a good win. The race for fourth is going to be tight. As is the title! I guess the only certainty is Spurs finish third (probably!).

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, barring a complete collapse, I'd still see Spurs in third.

But, fourth will be a real scrap between Chelsea, Arsenal and now, Manchester United.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 at 6:53 AM ---
    Yes, barring a complete collapse, I'd still see Spurs in third.

But, fourth will be a real scrap between Chelsea, Arsenal and now, Manchester United.

5. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

he he he...
    well a sane man would say both...

fantasy.

Wednesday is about where I'd thought they'd be... :(

[​IMG]

@hoveowl

Some of my Wednesday gear...

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Liverpool are back on top with an excellent 3-0 victory.

Meanwhile, one point separates Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal in the scramble for fourth.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

My lot started well, but that man Zaha rescued a point for Palace. He’s probably earns them more than half their points since he joined.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, Zaha has contributed hugely to Crystal Palace - easily their best player.

However, it could have been worse, as it seems that they managed to miss what seemed to have been an open goal towards the end of the first half.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

It’s West Ham. It could always be worse! Still a point away from home is fine.

10. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's been a scary few rounds in the PL, as Liverpool have surrendered most of their points lead over Man City. The win today gets them moving forward again, but there is no margin for error now.

Chelsea can do us a giant favor by taking points off Man City tomorrow...they probably won't, but there is always hope.

Zaha is even more important to Palace than Kane is to Spurs, in my opinion.

Fulham and Huddersfield are in deep trouble, but the last relegation spot is still far from certain. Huddersfield simply cannot score goals.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I think Cardiff. Although many would like to see them survive due to the Sala tragedy.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed re the importance of Zaha to Palace - at least as important for the as Kane is to Spurs.

I would hazard a guess that it may be Southampton; their statistics are dismal. Cardiff are actually improving and could well escape the drop this season.

13. Zenithal macrumors 604

Catching both of today's matches. Expecting hard rain so a hot bowl of banana and chocolate porridge (oatmeal) and a nice chai will hit the spot.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The unpleasant element often found in football has made an appearance with the ugly spat over the transfer fee due to be paid by Cardiff to Nantes (the latter threatening legal action) for the tragic Sala.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I’d read that. I’d presume that football players would be insured against death etc.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

They usually are; apparently, Cardiff had insured Sala (for £16 million).

However, the tone of the letter from Nantes (backed by threats of legal action) adds an unpleasant flavour to proceedings, even though I don't doubt that Cardiff will pay the transfer fees.

Nevertheless, there will be an investigation, and one will have to take place. Already, individuals will be seeking to cover their respective backs, as it seems clear that neither club had anything to do with the arrangements for the fatal flight, which were made privately.

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

Ah, yes. Was unaware of Sala's death up until the other morning while I was reading the BBC news on my phone. Have to admit I thought of Mohamed Salah, until I realized he doesn't play for Cardiff. Can't say I was familiar with E. Sala. I assume by the insurance amount he was rather good and a treasure for Cardiff?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:54 AM ---
    Brilliant goal by Eriksen.

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

That was the most awkward handshake to have ever been televised.

19. Lord Blackadder, Feb 10, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 8:03 AM

Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A transaction took place, and however tragic Sala's death may be the financial loose ends need to be tied up. Where this story becomes unsavory is the point at which the clubs began leaking the disagreement to the press in order to apply pressure on each other.

Wrangling over Sala's transfer payments should be confined to the clubs' lawyers, an arbitrator or at worst the courtroom. It is very unpleasant to see it in the papers - especially with the pilot still officially missing - and both clubs are to blame by the sound of it.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

But it cannot be beyond the wit of both clubs to ensure that these financial loose ends are tied up in a dignified and decorous manner, rather than the ugly and dispiriting leaks and threats of legal action that are currently taking place.

And agreed, this has become downright unsavoury given that the body of the pilot is still missing.

21. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think the agents are substantially to blame. A nasty class of individuals, and I wish there was a way to excise them from the sport, at least in their current form. I would like to see FIFA/FAs/league regulate agents much, much more heavily.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Couldn't agree more; some of the agents have an extraordinarily unsavoury reputation.

And agreed, also re strict regulation and some degree of oversight: However, I doubt that they can be excised from the sport, and players do need representatives who are not tied to clubs to negotiate contracts and deals on their behalf.

Young men with extraordinary footballing talent, but not terribly well educated, sometimes young and naive, do need someone (neutral but qualified) to represent their interests.

23. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, the Chelsea - Man City match is already nearly over, after 13 minutes. Though it is often said that 2-0 is the most dangerous scoreline. Let's hope so.

24. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

MC is on a roll, 3-0. Chelsea is God-Smacked!

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Manchester City destroying Chelsea; less than twenty minutes gone and they are behind by three goals to nil.