The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

UEFA continue to investigate Man City for potential FFP violations:

"Members of Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) investigatory chamber (IC) are thought to have expressed a strong view that City should be referred to the adjudicatory chamber (AC) for a final judgment, and to have recommended a Champions League ban if the allegations of misleading Uefa’s FFP rules are proven. "

Let's be real here: we all KNOW that Man City are flagrantly violating the spirit of FFP... and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to suggest they may be violating the letter of the law as well. Chelsea's transfer ban is a relatively rare example of a club actually getting punished with something bigger than a slap on the wrist for breaking the rules. I hope that, if Man City's financial doping truly has crossed UEFA's already very permissive line, they are similarly held responsible.

Pep has built something special on the pitch at Man City, and there is no doubt that they are run in a savvy manner...but it is also true that this all rests on morally questionable foundations and potentially, allegedly, some actually rule-breaking from the sporting perspective.

No big clubs are blameless in this regard, but there has to be a red line somewhere.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

No mention of the mighty Irons emphatic victory against Watford?
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2019 ---
    A CL ban will certainly make them sit up and take notice.

3. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

No, I thought that @Zenithal merely wanted the headlines concerning the top six.

Now, you will note that I didn't mention anything about the relegated teams, either, as that issue had been decided well in advance of the final day of the season.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2019 ---
    That would be a most interesting development, if followed through.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

And what would happen to their spot? Passed down the league or to a different country?

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Good question.

I doubt they'll ever get punished - or they'l get hit with a ban and then get it dropped after an appeal, so it's probably a moot point.

6. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I doubt that it would be passed to a different country, - that would set a precedent that would ruffle many feathers - but it will be interesting to see if Manchester City are given more than the proverbial slap on the wrist.

The fact that Chelsea's transfer ban was upheld suggest that officialdom - as suggested by @Lord Blackadder - might actually impose a tough penalty initially - if only to give the impression of sending a robust signal, which could well be overturned, or reduced, in a subsequent appeal.

7. Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Villa in the playoff final then. I’ll support either of the other teams they might face, as I don’t like Villa much. Probably because I live in Birmingham!

9. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I simply want them to fail because of John Terry...

I am rooting for (dirty) Leeds actually, simply because they are a historic club who have been out of the top division for a long time now. Fresh faces, you know. That, and I want to see Bielsa in the Premier League.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I’d rather see Derby. I like Frank Lampard. Also I work with a Derby fan and he’d love to be able to join in with our PL banter!

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Thrilling match. Shame it’s not on my TV.
    Derby just edging it against a 10 man Leeds.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2019 ---
    Well done Derby. Through to face Villa in the worlds most expensive football game.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Reading Loftus-Cheek has been injured playing in a friendly before the Europa league final. He’s on crutches.
    Don’t really understand why you would be playing a friendly before such an important game.

13. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Apparently, some sort of charity match in the US with Roman Abramovich also putting in a rare appearance to view the match.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Likewise, I read last week that Jan Vertonghen managed to injure himself in the celebratory pile up after Spurs defeated Ajax; he, too, was spotted hobbling on crutches and sporting a special boot to protect his foot.

14. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

He ruptured his achilles tendon, heartbreaking timing for him.

To defend the charity match (against the New England Revs, a team I have never defended before :D), it raised several million dollars to combat antisemitism and hate crimes - and both team owners chucked in themselves.

So, while I agree that mid-season friendlies can seem a bit loony, especially when held in the US shortly before a European cup final, the cause in this case was a noble one.

15. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I accept that the cause was commendable (indeed, noble), and very worthy, and the sums raised impressive; however, given that European finals are fast approaching, (and teams are tired - and possibly prone to injury - after a long season), it might have been more prudent to have held this charity match after all of the competitive matches (and finals) had already taken place.

16. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Agreed. Teams are already playing way too many competitive matches these days. So the profit-making pre-season tours, testimonials, and even charity matches are just piling on top of that and putting players into what Wenger liked to call "the red zone."

If Loftus-Cheek had sat out this charity match would he have broken down in the final anyway? Very possibly. But the fact of the matter is that, as the business of football continues to grow, human body has been the same for over 50,000 years...sports science can provide incremental gains in strength, endurance, and recovery, but human bodies simply cannot adapt to a 50+ match season with (in the case of international players) virtually no breaks between seasons.

Lionel Messi has averaged something over 50 matches a season over the last 16 or so years - and that's just counting competitive matches. Many other top players are in a similar range of matches played.

FIFA has done nothing to alleviate the strain on the schedule - in fact under that toady Infantino things are getting worse as cups and competitions continue to expand in size.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I hadn’t realised it was for charity, but the timing wasn’t great.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    Agreed.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    Yes there are a lot of games, especially for those involved in European cups and international matches.

18. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

As much as I want to see John Terry fail, I also want to see Axel Tuanzebe succeed, so... it's a toughie.

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

To catch the FA Cup match or go back to sleep... Decisions...

20. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I think the result is going to be a a Man City win.

21. Zenithal macrumors 604

It's a safe bet. I woke up thinking I'd bought sausages from the butchers but I'd forgotten to ask for them. Sausages are those tubular ground meat and pork things with herbs and spices. I'm sure you've had them in between long periods of Quorn. :p

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

No idea what you mean mate! Chicken and rice tonight! In front of the TV watching the Football!

High scoring game would be nice. Don’t want to see 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2019 ---
    For Watford to win they need to frustrate City and get something on the break. However Man City have gone in front and I can’t see that changing. Glad it’s Silva though as he’s been a good player for the club over the years (although you’d say his best years are behind him).

23. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I share @Zenithal's preference re what he has described (accurately) as sausages: "Sausages are those tubular ground meat and pork things with herbs and spices." Exactly.

Re the FA Cup Final, in a way, it is a pity that Wolves didn't qualify, inserted of Watford, as I suspect that they would have been able to give a better game (and challenge more) for the Cup.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Agree. Or if Man City had a European final to worry about. But as it is it looks done to me.

25. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I recall reading at the semi final stage that Wolves - who have an excellent record against the top six, but were sometimes a lot less impressive against lower ranked clubs - might struggle against Watford, but that, if they won, they would offer a serious challenge to Manchester City.

Well, another case of what if, but I would have preferred to see City stretched. Challenged. (And defeated, if truth be told).