The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

It is not as though Arsenal hadn't flagged this issue quite some time ago, - it was covered quite extensively in the Guardian - and aired their concerns about the ensuring the safety of Mikhitaryan in Baku.

This is a low intensity conflict that has lasted for the best part of the past 30 years.

2. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Celtic have won their third domestic treble in a row, proving once and for all that there is no meaningful competitive top-tier football in Scotland.

Sadder still is that fact that, if you read what a lot of Celtic fans are saying, the team is in need of a rebuild...so a team in need of a rebuild wins the treble?

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I think they expect to be able to do more in Europe. But the reality is their league is probably the equivalent of the Championship in England.
    How do they expect to attract top European players to a little known league outside of Scotland? There isn’t the competition or attraction.

Even top Scottish players end up playing elsewhere.

4. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I don't think that it is the equivalent of the Championship; the Championship, at least, is pretty competitive, whereas the Scottish league is anything but.

The problem (especially since Rangers ceased to be able to provide some sort of competition) is that the Scottish League is insufficiently competitive, with Celtic far ahead of everyone else.

Yet, I daresay some of us can recall the distant days when Rangers and indeed, Aberdeen, (when a certain Mr Ferguson was their manager) were also considered serious teams and were well able to challenge Celtic for trophies.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I didn’t mean in terms of competition. I meant in terms of playing level. If Celtic were allowed to play in the English league, they would struggle to get out of the Championship. That said they would probably benefit from the experience.
    However it would be the kiss of death for Scottish football.

6. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Fair enough - I had misunderstood what you meant.

Yes, these days, I doubt that Celtic would be able to seriously challenge for a top six position in the Premiership.

7. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Sheik Mansour's cousin is apparently in talks to purchase Newcastle United from Mike Ashley.

While Ashley is a terrible owner and I deeply sympathize with long-suffering Newcastle fans, this is a depressing development if true. The infiltration of oligarchs and monarchical gulf states into the ranks of football ownership is a bad thing. This isn't to say that other foreign owners or indeed domestic-based owners are necessarily good, but turning historic football clubs into tools of PR and soft-power projection for repressive foreign governments is even worse than the asset-stripping or greed manifested by the Glazers and Ashley, or the "rich man's plaything" model associated with Abramovich.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Yes I have to agree. Where as Mike Ashley is someone I’d love to see out of football, really don’t want another rich Sheik pushing more money into the game. Just inflated the wages and prices for all clubs.

Gone are the days when the fans had any say in how their club was run.

In other news Villa edge Derby 2-1. Not the result I’d have chosen.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Tomorrow’s Europa league match will be streamed live on YouTube for anyone not sure how to watch tomorrow night.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

What an absolute farce the location for this Europa league final is. Should have been moved to Wembley if the infrastructure isn’t there to get fans across from the UK. Another example of countries buying events at the expense of those who are more important.

11. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

While I don't necessarily think that the Europa Cup Final should have been held in Wembley, what is wrong with Paris, or Italy, or Germany, or Spain - countries with good infrastructure, facilities, accommodation, along with excellent football stadia and pretty easy to reach from anywhere in western Europe.

Hosting this final in Baku (and failing to recognise - and take steps to address - the safety and security concerns voiced by both Henrikh Mkhitaryan and the Arsenal team) is outrageous, and I have been reading (granted unconfirmed) reports that some fans with dual nationality but with Armenian surnames have been denied visas.

I'm pretty familiar with the Caucasus - I lived and worked there for over two years a decade ago, and the (low intensity) unresolved Armenian Azeri conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh has poisoned relations between both countries and dominates their political and cultural life.

Choosing to hold this final in Baku is irresponsible.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

It is. But at least we can watch for free!

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Oh the irony! Ex Arsenal man puts Cheese in front against an Ex Chelsea Goalie!

Still enough time to get something out of it for Arsenal.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2019 ---
    2-0 now. Can't see Arsenal getting back into this. Looks like they will get another crack at the Europa league again next year!

14. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Excruciatingly embarrassing.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

If I was an Arsenal fan and had travelled to this game I’d be asking for compensation from the club! So much money, time and effort to watch such a dreadful display.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

It was certainly an expensive round trip.
    Should never have been played there.

17. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I have written above why I think that the match should never have been played in Baku; likewise, the time it was played - which spanned midnight local time - is beyond perfectly ludicrous. Even in cities with some sort of night life, attending a football match at the witching hour is not normal.

While I doubt that Mkhitaryan's presence would have added anything much to Arsenal's poor performance - this was an abysmal capitulation and an absolute embarrassment, as bad as those spineless whimpering defeats in the late Wenger years, the fact that the legitimate concerns about his safety and security were not adequately addressed is appalling.

Well done Chelsea.

The irony is that winning this competition might not secure Sarri's position, which wold be an outrageous injustice. He has done very well with Chelsea in trying circumstances.

Also worth noting is that this was the first Chelsea match that the (absent for tax reasons and residential reasons) owner of the club, Roman Abramovich, had attended this year. (Perhaps even this season).

18. Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

Sad thing for Arsenal is that its only going to get worse thanks to Kroenke. This is why Gazidis ran away.

19. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Everything about Baku just screamed "second-rate competition." The fans of the clubs involved have every right to be proud or disappointed depending on their allegiance, but for the rest of us the whole affair was very "meh." This is UEFA's fault for their insistence on holding the final in Baku.

I will repeat, for the umpteenth time, that Arsenal fans should see this season as a free hit, no expectations, and give Emery time to rebuild. However, with that being said, there is no hiding the fact that this feels like a setback for Emery. The team capitulated badly, the defense is a shambles, Ozil is completely checked out, Lacazette is hinting at a departure, and there is apparently little money available for transfers.

This is a critical summer for Arsenal. The top four league positions are going to be hard fought next season, and there are five other teams arguably stronger than Arsenal as it stands.

Chelsea, on the other hand, seem to thrive on chaos and win trophies even when everything seems bonkers - though it seems to be a trend that Chelsea fans hate their own Europa League-winning mangers. Fan hatred for Sarri is way over the top, I understand that many fans don't really like his tactics but the vitriol is totally uncalled for in a season where they have comfortably qualified for the Champions League, came close to winning the League Cup and won the Europa League. Entitled fans need to appreciate what they've got. It's not every year you win a trophy, unless you're Celtic or Crispy Ronaldo-era Real Madrid. With Hazard leaving and a transfer ban on the horizon, fans will likely get their wish and see the back of Sarri - but be careful what you wish for.

Kroenke is a sports owner who owns losing teams that make money. This is, sadly, a well-established fact. Under Kroenke Arsenal will continue to be a profitable club - For Kroenke. But, if his ownership of other teams is any indication, they are unlikely to win anything for the foreseeable future.

20. Scepticalscribe, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Excellent post, and I am pretty much in agreement with you re Baku.

And I agree, also, on the need to give Emery time, another year at the very least, probably two.

Yes, Ozil has long checked out, but this is a pattern with some of those exceptionally well remunerated, very talented but blithely unconcerned and rather demotivated individuals (Pogba, and Gareth Bale also come to mind).

And I accept that Arsenal's defence - at a time before Holding and Bellerin fell to injury, had begun to improve.

However, I am concerned about the capitulation; I had thought that this feature of late Wenger Arsenal was a thing of the past. I don't mind a defeat to a clearly better team - I do object to a lack of steel and spine and skill in responding to this, a lack of mental as well as physical strength.

And letting Ramsay - an able and motivated and passionate player - go on a free transfer rather than renewing his contract for a further year is idiocy, just pure insanity.

In fact, as Amy Lawrence in the Guardian remarked yesterday, (in the first of two excellent pieces about Arsenal - the second looked at the Emery-Ozil relationship, or lack of), Arsenal blew it twice in the dying days and weeks of the season; they could well have finished fourth, or third, in the PL, but contrived to find a way to destroy any such chance (by one point) and they threw away their second route to CL football with their spineless capitulation in Baku in the Europa Cup final.

Likewise, the fact that Arsenal have not filled a number of key administrative posts (director of football, etc) going into the summer is also a matter of concern.

Re Chelsea, agree that the attacks by the fans on Sarri are grossly unfair; against two of the best teams ever to grace the Premiership - Liverpool and Manchester City - he led Chelsea to third place, and thus, a guaranteed Champions' League spot next year, managed to reach the finals of two cup competitions, one domestic (the Carabao Cup, which he lost on penalties) and one international (the Europa Cup) which he won, and all of this against a background of uncertainty re the legal status and intentions of the owner of the club.

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I’d say it’s too early for Frank. Especially as they are about to lose their best player and have a transfer ban in place.
    Any manager that goes there is going to struggle to match this years result imo.

23. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Very foolish (and short-sighted) - and, needless to say, spectacularly ungrateful - on the part of Chelsea if true, and no way to reward a manager who has had an excellent season in circumstances that could be considered challenging.

Agreed.

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I also think that it's too early for Lampard, but...

...Chelsea might "pull an OGS" and appoint a fan favourite before a season where they are expected to struggle...

...and with Hazard gone, it will open a space up for Hudson-Odoi, and the club might gamble on giving him more playing time the coming season and see if he _really_ is a World Class talent.

That said, I think they're going to have a steep uphill struggle next year...like you said. :)

25. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The location is decided 2 or 3 years in advance. Countries have to bid to hold the event and a decision is then announced after evaluating the proposals. Three countries bid for this years event the others being Spain and Turkey. I am sure we would all have preferred Spain but they have hosted many European cup finals previously and hence i suspect started with a disadvantage, plus Champions league cup being played in Madrid this year.