The 2018-2019 Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Zenithal macrumors 604

I see Mrs. AFB let you have meat today. :p

I decided to skip the match. I wish I hadn't now. When I checked in it was right after the first goal. I figured City would make another one or two to nil and that would be that. Guess not! It wasn't a good old fashioned ribbing. To be off color about it, twas a murder.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I eat chicken about 6 nights a week. Vegetarian sausages about once a week.

Yes once the early goals went in it was a question of how many. In the end quite a few!

3. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Very impressive achievement - to have one the FA Cup, and thus, the treble, by Pep Guardiola and Manchester City; a pity the match was so one-sided.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Plus the community shield. At least that’s what they were calling their quadruple. I don’t think I really count the CS.

5. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I've always seen the CS as a glorified friendly, which serves to kick off the new season, rather than being a postscript to the old season.

Anyway, given that Manchester City have won both the Premiership League title and the FA Cup, they have also won the Community shield by default.

6. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Well, it was an unbalanced match, which wasn't really a fair reflection on the competition.

I'd have preferred Wolves as a finalist to face Manchester City - they would have been capable of mounting a challenge.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Possibly. But when Man City are on form they play very well. Wolves have a better record against the top six, but it could just as easily have been the same result.

My Dad is at Wembley today to watch Leyton Orient in the FA Trophy today. I'm sure he'll enjoy the day as he's going by train!

9. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

No, I couldn't see Wolves conceding six goals to Manchester City.

Agree that Manchester City - on form - can be superb, possibly one of the best teams ever to play in England, but Wolves have an excellent record against the top six and are well able to frustrate them.

In fact, of the promoted teams last year, Wolves spent exceptionally wisely and made some excellent and thought through purchases - in a way, they are almost a template for promoted teams.

Train journeys are brilliant. I hope your dad enjoys his day out.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I was thinking more (knowing my dad) that he can enjoy a Guinness or four!

Agree Wolves were the surprise package this year. They did exceptionally well for a first season. One I think they will struggle to match, especially with the distraction of Europa league matches.

11. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

They bought intelligently when they were promoted, and if they can use this summer's transfer window to further strengthen their squad so that they have a bit of strength in depth, the Europa League matches shouldn't serve as too much of a distraction.

Hope your dad enjoys his Guinness or four.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

For any club other than the top two or three, it’s not always about strengthening your squad, but retaining the one you have.
    Let’s face it as we stand Arsenal are losing Ramsey. I’ll be happy if we keep Rice and Anderson.

13. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

There is that, agreed, but the big clubs also have the resources and thus the option of snapping up talented players whom they do not especially wish to field as first team players on a regular basis, but whom they would prefer if other teams were not able to acquire. In other words, "negative buys" as it were.

Smaller clubs do need to pay attention to some sort of strength in depth in key positions.

Re Arsenal, letting Ramsay go is an egregiously stupid mistake, given our notorious defensive frailties and given his commitment to, an passion for the club; personally, I would have preferred to have seen his contract extended for a further season or two, we could do with his commitment and experience.

In any case, I sincerely hope that Arsenal attempt to address - or begin to address - this deficiency when the transfer window opens.

Mind you, I think capping squads and capping the number of players loaned out, might serve to address some of the inequalities of the structure of the current Premier League.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Agreed but it will never happen these days. Power is with the players and its a case of restricting their movements probably infringes their employment rights or something.

15. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Power can always change direction, or location.

However, there is nothing wrong with the idea of capping the size of a squad of a team - that is aimed at - or targeted at - a team, and equally, capping the number of players a team can loan out may also help matters.

Some of the top teams have bloated squads, and a little trimming might be of benefit to the game.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I think it would. But I just don’t see it happening.

17. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Not immediately, agreed, but - I suspect - this may come about in due course.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Vincent Kompany has left Man City to become the player manager of Anderlecht.

A genuine nice guy who has been plagued by injuries.

Good luck to him!

19. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

There was an excellent interview with him - well worth a read - in yesterday's Guardian.

20. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

You wish more players had Vincent Kompany's attitude. Good luck to him especially in his managerial duties.

21. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Reading the interview, you also get the impression that both parents were exceptionally impressive, indeed formidable, individuals who gave him a solid grounding in how to be a decent human being whose lived life is informed by a strong sense of ethics.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Agreed. Sadly there are more and more with a rotten attitude these days.

23. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Drove a total of 15+ hours to watch Columbus lose 1-0 in a very chilly Allianz Arena in Minneapolis. Drove back in a snowstorm today. I had hoped to see Zach Steffen before he leaves for Man City, but he was out with a swollen foot.

Worst of all, ex-Crew winger Ethan Finley scored the winner for Minnesota United. 6 in a row we've lost now, and while injuries have played a part it looks as though the honeymoon period is over for Caleb Porter. We simply cannot score goals, and it's killing us.

At least we still have a team in Columbus...

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Looks like Arsenal and Chelsea will not be bringing many fans to the Europa league final.
    Due to the high travelling costs and limited flights, the majority of their tickets are being returned. So will they get locals to fill the seats or play to an empty stadium?

Travesty really. It’s not like these occasions come up very often.

25. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Even more of a travesty is that Arsenal's Mkhitaryan won't even be traveling to Baku due to fears over his personal safety as a result of the ongoing low-intensity war between his native Armenia and Azerbaijan.

FIFA and UEFA go on and on about how football can be used as a force for good, but they continually stumble naively into silly political predicaments like this without thinking things through.

You can't simply jet into a country with a football and expect serious, real-world socio-political issues to vanish just so you can play a lucrative match...just wait till Qatar 2022...:rolleyes: