The base 13" MBP (Air successor) uses MBA components

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appleaker, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Appleaker macrumors 68000

While everything suggested a 13" MacBook, Apple introduced a 13" MacBook Pro as the successor to the 13" MacBook Air. However, it has everything that was expected for a 13" MacBook: A 15W processor and 2 USB-C ports.
    Along with the 15W processor and 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, it uses the same RAM found in the MacBook Air. So it baffles me why Apple would market this as a MacBook Pro, as that could be confusing for consumers.

2. cibonak macrumors regular

cibonak

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Probably because it's all relative. What are the alternatives? The MacBook Air is being discontinued, which leaves the only MacBook below the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro the MacBook with Retina Display. And since that uses a Core M processor, the non-Touch Bar MBP can be considered "pro" next to Apple's other offerings.

4. profets macrumors 68040

And for $500 USD more. Good point though. Internally it does sound more like a MacBook Air, but it's designed as a MacBook Pro.

Honestly they should have made something like a 14" MacBook (larger version of the 12") with these specs. Would have been a more suitable replacement.

5. Appleaker thread starter macrumors 68000

I understand where your coming from, although they are still selling the 13" Air.
    The 7th gen Core M processors are labelled under the i5 and i7 names so would fit with 15W processor naming if they made a 13" MacBook.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    Yeah, i think they would go with 13" though, but the problem with going with that size is the battery life with using a 15W processor because they would go for the tapered design. The design would also be inconsistent because of the speakers.