The better MacBook is ???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smacrumon, Jun 29, 2016.

1. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Which machine has the better tech specs? Which processor is faster? Which will likely have a longer lifespan? Which model should I recommend based on its technical abilities?

MacBook 12-inch
    1.1GHz dual‑core Intel Core m3
    Intel HD Graphics 515

MacBook Air 13‑inch
    1.6GHz dual‑core Intel Core i5
    Intel HD Graphics 6000

MacBook Pro 13-inch with Retina display
    2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MacBook Pro is the fastest, if purely looking at raw CPU and GPU power.

3. smacrumon thread starter macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Thanks. Where does MacBook 12-inch fall? It was recently updated, but it would seem it's still the slowest of all three?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It's the most portable that simple.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People don't buy the rMB for its pure computational speed, but rather need a mobile machine that is light. If your usage criteria is such that you are needing a powerful machine, then the MBP may be a better fit.

What apps are you looking to run, and what need are you looking to solve?

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You shouldn't buy on technical abilities, but on your needs. Anything else is stupid.

7. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

It really depends on the usage and for most people a solid middle level compromise would be the air, it's cheaper and lighter than the pro but more powerful than the MacBook.

8. ShionoyaTamaki, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016

ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

MacBook 12-inch Retina
    Geekbench (processor) 4964
    Cinebench OpenGL (graphic) 20.5
    Weight 2.03lb
    Price: $1299
    Purpose: Someone that values portability

MacBook Air 13‑inch non-retina
    Geekbench (processor) 5637
    Cinebench OpenGL(graphic) 25.33
    Weight 2.96lb
    Price: $999
    Purpose: Someone that is budget constrained like students.

MacBook Pro 13-inch Retina
    Geekbench (processor) 6871
    Cinebench OpenGL (graphic) 28.9
    Weight 3.48lb
    Pirce: $1299
    Purpose: Someone that is a Power/Pro user

9. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

What do you use your computer to do? List your highest priorities.

10. smacrumon thread starter macrumors 68030

smacrumon

The unit is for someone else, but their needs are likely to include word processing (word/pages), spreadsheet (excel/numbers), presentations (powerpoint/keynote), web browsing.
    Would an iPad Pro be an item for real consideration as well?

--- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    Yes, but the Apple website tech specs don't really make it clear which would better suit ones needs.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the comparison

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The retina MacBook would be an excellent choice imo. Personally, I think the MacBook is better at running Excel and Word, especially since it's a more robust application on OS X then iOS. Its all personal preference because the iPad pro is probably a bit more mobile. I think however the MacBook offers more tangible benefits over the iPad Pro but YMMV and my personal preference may not be yours (or your friends)

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Then you should help them assess what their highest priority is since any of those devices is more than powerful enough to be suitable. If price is the primary consideration, get the Air. If portability and something sleek and modern is valued, get the MacBook. If they want a larger screen and or the most ports integrated, get the MBP.

There is no 'best' - your question is like asking what the 'best' car is - Porsche 911 or Ford F-150? (I.e. It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for).

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

With one proviso I second this, if your friend needs to connect to monitors or projectors or external drives etc etc the MacBook is a bit rubbish with only one port that needs adapters for almost everything currently.

If this is the case then the pro is the best bet for its retina screen, as far as I'm concerned only buy an air if budget is an issue the retina screen is worth the cash all day long if you can afford it.

14. smacrumon thread starter macrumors 68030

smacrumon

My view is that applications for Mac would be more robust than iOS versions, and I'm certain the purchaser isn't looking to run into situations whether a feature isn't available for an iPad version of the software. An Apple store team member did suggest iPad Pro might be suitable though.
    (I should note the user current uses an early 2008 macbook white 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo with 1GB RAM. My initial thought was that maybe either an upgrade to the RAM or a complete reinstall of the system or both might improve the overall performance while they consider the options further and see what else gets released this year.)

15. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

If price is no object, I'd go with the 12" Macbook. If they are one a budget, the Air will be more than proficient at all of those tasks especially now that the 13" base model comes with 8GB of RAM. It's a good base model computer that should last at least 3-4 years if not more.

On the Air you can also get the i7 upgrade for $150 which would definitely extend its usefulness another year or two and make it much snappier out of the box.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That's likely because any of them would suit you just fine. And in any case, you aren't asking about it either.

17. lite426 macrumors regular

Yes, it's the slowest of the three. When you take into account battery life, the MacBook Air 13" is arguably the most portable (12 hours). Then MacBook Air 11" isn't much heavier than the MacBook and much cheaper, so there's that to consider.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Tradeoffs and compromises all around.

Portability is an amorphous quality, meaning different things to different people. MBA13 has longer battery life, yet is larger/heavier and requires mains power to charge. MBA11 is closer in size/weight to the rMB, has more ports, is definitely cheaper, but the paltry 1366x768 display makes it unusable for some purposes/people. rMB is lighter and smaller than the others, has a good display (1680x1050 via SwitchResX is neat), and it can draw power from a USB power source or even charge to an extent from some; yet some folks don't take to its keyboard and others can't live with a single USBC port.