The Compass App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cduron, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cduron macrumors newbie

Is it just me or does the Compass App seem kinda dumb. When do i ever use a compass... Is the only cool thing about it that it will orient the map.

2. The General macrumors 601

Orienting the map is a welcomed feature. A compass is pretty much a necessity for any turn-by-turn navigation applications.

I'm sure the compass will be used it more innovative ways as well. The compass application is something that hikers will use on a regular basis.

Some people actually go outside and do fun stuff.

3. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Agree. I wish Apple would ditch limited use apps like that and the Contacts app and put them on the AppStore for people to download if they choose. I hate not being able to remove the contacts app.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's not just you who thinks "X, Y, or Z" application is "dumb." Until you use it, or the functionality of the magnetometers is incorporated into countless other application, can you really say it's "dumb."

Right now, the main feature is to orient maps/directions for pictures. However, some of outdoorsy types may use it. Heck, maybe Bear Grylls will ditch his knife for the new iPhone. If you don't like it...don't use it. One man's gimmick is another man's necessity.

5. cduron thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Acronym macrumors 68000

im thinking of upgrading to the 3Gs for the magnometer alongside the other features but definately the magnometer

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It reminds me of grade school when I thought it would be cool to wear a compass around my neck. Think big old clock, but I care about direction, not time.

"What worried you'll get lost on the way to the bathroom" or something similar is all I used to hear.

I have other things on my phone that tell me where north is. There is also this sun thing and these consolations of stars that seem to always travel in a predictable fashion.:D

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Its just dumb. They should've incorporated it into the Maps app.

Why don't they just have video recording, MMS, voicemail, stop watch, timer, etc be their own apps while they're at it.

9. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Um....no its not. The GPS in my car works just fine without a compass. What are you talking about?

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right...but why does ANY of that require it to have its own app?

I'm going to love it in Google maps.
    I'm going to love it in hiking-map apps.
    I'm going to love it in GPS programs.

But...I'm still not understanding why I have to have a whole app-button for just the compass.

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

Compass app is weak, compass function is cool with lots of potential.

12. The General macrumors 601

Almost all cars that come with built-in GPS have compasses. A lot of hand helds even have GPS. Otherwise it has to guess which way you're facing based on your movement. It doesn't know which way you're facing unless you're moving or have a compass. That's why a compass makes the user experience much better.

13. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

I thought it was kinda dumb myself until I saw it featured it this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4aQpczZC00 (starting at 6:44).

It does get integrated with the maps. When using the Maps app, you can tap it and it will orient the map to the direction you are facing. Kinda cool.

14. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

sorry but you are wrong. there are lots of phones out there that have turn-by-turn navigation and dont have compasses. it is in no way a necessity for it to function.

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it isnt a necessity but the general is correct... unless it has a compass it does not know what "direction" you are facing. once you move it will change the orientation..

16. The General macrumors 601

And all of those phones suck at turn-by-turn navigation. That's why I said the compass is "pretty much" a necessity. It makes the user experience much better and provides for much more accurate navigation.

I don't know why you're arguing against having a compass, this makes no sense at all.

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

I'm not sure that "facing" is the issue for turn by turn nav. The GPS unit calculates your position and then recalculates every few seconds. The change in calculated coordinates reveals your direction of travel and orients the map.

18. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If the magnetometer's there, why not have a beautifully rendered compass? Have you ever gone sky gazing, aligned a telescope or antenna, or needed a heading to photograph sunrise or wanted to know what direction to look for that Shuttle/ISS pass, or,... These are just a few things I can think of because of my own interests - there are no doubt many more uses which are separate from x,y,z position.

19. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

i lol'd :D

20. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. It is necessary for turn-by-turn. How else would it know how to tell you which way to turn if you were at a stop? GPS only gives direction when it can plot the difference in two x-y coordinates.

21. golden3159 macrumors member

Wrong. Shows how little you know. Very few modern GPS devices have them nor do they need them.

Furthermore, it's not needed at all and will barely help you. The 3g G-Map application worked for me in NYC covered with tall buildings and I never once lost signal.

22. zoeconner macrumors regular

I bet they will have 1st shooter games that you gan turn to look around. That would be kind of cool. You would look silly though:D

23. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

What happened when you stopped and faced the other direction? Nothing, because it wouldn't know. (Yes, it would correct itself after 10 or 20 steps.)

24. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

im not arguing against having a compass. im simply saying you are wrong in your assertion that "A compass is pretty much a necessity for any turn-by-turn navigation applications." its not. not at all.

no its not. you didnt magically arrive at a stop, you were moving a direction to that stop so of course it can tell you which way to turn.

25. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ok, yes the the compass is a good feature within the phone. However, I do think it's pretty stupid to add a whole new unremoveable app icon for the literal compass. What are to going to do with what? Open the app and spin around and watch the thing move?:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.