Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fast Food!

• A&W

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Arby's

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Dairy Queen

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Hardee's

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • KFC

• Krystal

• McDonald's

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Burger King

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Taco Bell

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Wendy's

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Sonic

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • White Castle

• Zaxby's

• Popeye's

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Church's Chicken

• Jack in the Box

• Chic-fil-a

• Everything

• Nothing

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Eww, gross

• Should be illegal

• Ketchup

• Mustard

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Mayo

• Other

• I can't believe you left out (insert restaurant name here...)

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • This poll is horrible

• Total voters

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
I'd rather spend $5 at 711 getting a bag a peanuts and a protein shake then eat processed meat with fried potatoes. Everyone states fast food is you know "fast" but you can get a way faster, healthier filling meal from a corner store. But I guess some people just need a explosion of flavor with every meal that they eat.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The Fast Food Thread

Fast foods are processed foods and I avoid both.

With all the freezers and microwaves, it's like paying someone to prepare a TV dinner.

I grew up near Taco Bell HQ so they were big in my formative years but along with cold cereal, I've been freshening my diet. Apple oatmeal from scratch in the morning and homemade soup for lunch. Then a good restaurant for dinner. Eat them far less often but the local bakery makes the best burgers with grass fed beef and buns from scratch.

If I need fast food, I usually go for someplace with beans in the recipe. This includes Chipotle and a local chain called Cafe Yumm. Yumm sauce is amazing and can be ordered from their website.

I've only heard of White Caste because of the Beastie Boys. But inNout has to be better.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm not sure how good that would be for getting your fast food hot, especially if you taking it back home. :)

They don't make it until you get to the taco bell and check in on the app. Then, you go to a special line and don't have to wait with the suckers who didn't use the app. Can save precious minutes.

Reactions: compwiz1202

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
If I need fast food, I usually go for someplace with beans in the recipe. This includes Chipotle and a local chain called Cafe Yumm. Yumm sauce is amazing and can be ordered from their website.

Chipotle isn't to bad till you see that most meals from there have about 1,500mg of sodium. Because you know that food needs to last an extra 5 hours sitting on the table waiting to made into a burrito.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Chipotle isn't to bad till you see that most meals from there have about 1,500mg of sodium. Because you know that food needs to last an extra 5 hours sitting on the table waiting to made into a burrito.

Sodium? Blast! Thanks for the heads up. I think my blood pressure just went up!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They don't make it until you get to the taco bell and check in on the app. Then, you go to a special line and don't have to wait with the suckers who didn't use the app. Can save precious minutes.

Good to know. Now they just have to be adequately staffed to pull this off. If you end up waiting in the normal line then ehh. :)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Well i'd say 80% of the sodium is from the salsa and the wrap. Getting a burrito bowl with no salsa isn't to bad on the diet.

Thanks for the tip! Please let me know if you have similar Intel on noodles & company. Had to cold turkey them when I saw the numbers. Just a shame.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Well, you're correct that the tortilla and their salsas do have quite a lot of sodium, but so do most of their fillings. Just keep in mind that even a relatively austere bowl at Chipotle can quickly push upwards of 1000mg. http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx

I just don't understand how chipotle markets them self as a healthy fast food place. You can see ads in the store about how all the food is local fresh and everything is cooked in the store. But then they load every damn thing they sell with salt for longer shelf life. If the food is "fresh" they why the hell does it need so much salt.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I just don't understand how chipotle markets them self as a healthy fast food place. You can see ads in the store about how all the food is local fresh and everything is cooked in the store. But then they load every damn thing they sell with salt for longer shelf life. If the food is "fresh" they why the hell does it need so much salt.

Hehe, they're allowed to market themselves as such, so they do. That's what they've identified as an appealing angle for their consumer base.

Never believe the advertising. ;)

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Other than Chic-fil-a (not listed) for breakfast on occasion, I haven't been to any of those restaurants since the first week in July when I went on vacation to SC. The only fast food-esque places I have been to are a bit healthier like Chipotle or something similar. Well, healthier if you make them that way.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Most of my fast food, if I get fast food, is either Subway or Potbelly's. I guess they're marginally better for you being sandwich shops, but that's it. Oh and I guess the super rare burrito bowl from Chipotle.

McDonald's was a big draw with their $1 any size drink campaign when you needed an afternoon work caffeine run, but that's gone, and so is my desire to go there.

Very odd poll in general.

Was glad to read that Subway took the yoga mat plastic out of their breads.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-no-more-yoga-mat-chemical-in-our-bread/

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
All it takes to make bread is water, flour, salt and yeast. You can do that quite economically. Chemicals cost money.

Whole foods tend to have very short shelf life. Adding chemicals can add a few more days to bread and end up saving you more money since not as much bread is going stale. Then you got other stuff added to keep the color true, smelling good and ect.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
For breakfast, I like those sandwiches they have at Sonic. Starbucks has some nice ones too and they might cost the same as something you can get at McDonald's, but are a lot bigger.

We buy our breakfast mostly at McDonald's though. They recently introduced steak filling this last year. It's greasy, even worse than a Big Mac, and I don't understand why they can't bring something like that into the afternoon menu. Their breakfast burritos aren't bad either. I mostly just get the hotcakes, sausage, eggs, biscuit, and hash brown though.

I know it's all bad, but my parents are too cheap to make proper food besides pasta, eggs, beans, and rice. And they don't even use proper rice anymore! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.