The funny thing about women

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by roland.g, May 14, 2015.

?

The woman in your life...

1. Wants/has an Apple Watch too.

89 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. Gives you grief/crap for wanting/having Apple Watch.

45 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Could care less either way / thinks it's cool but doesn't want one.

129 vote(s)
    49.0%
  1. roland.g, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

It seems that quite a few people on here are remarking on their wife or significant other getting her watch before his own kind of thing, with some mentioning wearing their watch until their wife's arrives. This I guess is in part because of the fact that the 38mm may be in less demand and so as most women would go for the smaller watch, they are shipping sooner.

And there are a few comments about guys who don't want their wife to see the CC bill with their Apple Watch on it as she wouldn't approve.

I apparently ended up more with the latter. The tech 'meh' wife, rather than the 'me want tech' wife. :( My wife could have upgraded her iPhone 5 in December but still uses it and ironically reads a lot of iBooks and Kindle books on it, and has no interest in getting a 6 or 6 Plus. Even when I explain that after I sell her phone unlocked the net cost will be negligible. We may even make a few bucks.

So she will never want an Apple Watch. And she gives me crap for my fandom and gadgetry. Funny how she doesn't complain when she forgets to set the DVR to record a show and I can do it from my phone while we are out or any other numerous things that I can 'magically' do.

For those married or long-term relationship guys - are you with a woman who has/wants an Apple Watch or one who is more likely to give you crap for having/wanting one?

EDIT: this was suppose to be a poll. But the forum decided to send it to oblivion. So no poll. - For me the obvious answer is - give me crap for having/wanting an Apple Watch.

1. Wants/Has an Apple Watch too.

2. Gives you grief/crap for wanting/having Apple Watch.

3. Could care less either way / thinks it's cool but doesn't want one.

2. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

My (male) partner likes everything that technology can do for him, but has no interest in understanding how it works, and has equally little interest in items that don't have obvious and compelling uses. He therefore couldn't be less interested in the watch, to the extent that he hasn't touched it or asked to look at it since I got mine a couple of weeks ago.

Happily he doesn't mind me spending money on this stuff, so long as it's not an unreasonable amount (he would have baulked at a SS AW).

3. Mymosa macrumors regular

Mymosa

Whaaat??

Way to be biased. I'm a female so thanks for assuming that everyone on here is a man. I am way more tech'd out than most men I know. Forget shoes and purses and clothes, I'd take another computer or tech gadget any day. Some people binge eat when they are sad..I head to the computer store.

I have camped out for every iPhone since the first one, and I have been a true mac person before it was fashionable. I used to love going to the computer swap meets and picking up the newest programs on the 5" floppy disks.

I have 4 Windows tablets 2 macbook airs, one macbook pro, 2 windows 8 touchscreen laptops, 3 windows desktops, I'm down to only 1 IPad, The IPhone 6+, I got my 42 SS Classic Black Band delivered on launch day, and I'm still waiting on my 42 SSSB.

Does my Playstation 3 and 4, and my Vita also count? How about the all region DVD player so I can watch my old school KungFu movies subbed not dubbed region 3 dvd's?

Not to mention I may be old enough to be your mother if you're in your 30's. Sorry some of you got the wrong partner. I couldn't be with someone who doesn't like tech or would give me crap about how much I spend.

I work hard and life it soo short. I do like to cook though and hate sports so I guess that's girly.

Okay that was a long enough break from obsessively checking the status of my watch due May 13 - 27th.

4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Where were you when I was in the dating game. :rolleyes:

No, you're not old enough to be my mom.

And it wasn't biased. I realize that I could have made the thread non-gender specific. However, the cliche is that wives roll their eyes at the latest gadget that their guys have just bought.

5. LeeKennedy macrumors member

My (now) wife's first smartphone was a HTC Desire the year I got my 3GS. Zero interest in iOS until her next upgrade (4S April 2014) and all her friends had iPhones and I promised her she could upgrade to a 5 that September

Since then she's been all in, has to have the new redesigned phones (but is still rocking a 3rd gen iPad) and I think it's 50/50 between ease of use and having the 'new shiny' to show off

When I showed her the first watch intro video from the September keynote she visibly welled up and said 'I feel like this is what it people felt like when they saw the space shuttle take off' (we are both good/sad about seeing the potential of first gen products for changing the world)

Anyway as time went on she lost interest in the watch, but was adamant I would get my mines day 1. The night before preorders I talked her into it, and of course the only one she was interested in was the 42mm link bracelet; she is a woman of impeccable taste and designer clothes

P.S. Building on her pundit cred when we watched the March event and the talk with Christy Turlington and me and a mate said 'this is a big odd' she said 'yea but they aren't talking to you here, you are already sold, now they are selling to me'. Clever lady

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

For me it's a bit in between. My wife couldn't care less about tech (she is also still on an iPhone 5 that's as beat up as can be), but she lets me do my thing. We have separate bank accounts, we don't throw all our money on one big heap, so we kind of respect each others purchases.

She herself wouldn't want an Apple watch unless I bought her one, hehe

7. Mymosa, May 14, 2015
  8. Mymosa macrumors regular

Mymosa

And I do feel your pain anyone I have dated and ALL of my friends think I'm crazy!! None of them are into this stuff. I had to force my ex to get rid of the Iphone 4 and bought the iPhone 6 for them and now they can't live without it!!

One of my friends heard about Steve Job's Yacht, and said that that was probably next on my list!! She teases me about that every time I get a new Apple anything!

http://www.cultofmac.com/307950/stev...f-beach-house/

Sheesh some women!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

another question for your poll:

4. Act's like they don't want one or care but loves it after you buy it for them!

9. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

The Yacht is very nice. And I wouldn't turn down something like but no worry as no one is giving them away. Yet, it really isn't my thing.

Now a BMW i8 or something really sexy like that, is a different story. Drool factor 11.

10. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Pity there's no "wife/GF is the Apple geek in the relationship" option.

;)

11. Wmwelch macrumors newbie

I am the one who wanted an apple watch. My husband is the the one who rolled his eyes about me setting my alarm at 2:55, so I could order my apple watch as soon as the app came up. He did contribute to the cost of my watch as a belated birthday gift (I paid the rest). So he doesn't actually know how much I spent on the watch, or he probably would have given me grief. He did ask me how much the apple watch costs, and I told him that the lowest priced one was $350. I got the 38mm SS Milanese. So bottom line, I am the wife and my husband is the one who doesn't get it.

Wendy

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

uhm... HELLO!? what about the option for the wife that got up to order herself a watch and the husband has zero interest in one (and for that matter... it's the wife who gets up every pre-order to get said orders placed for both phones!!!!!

regarding the price... he knows how much it costs... or at least he should.... the watch prices are public knowledge!

13. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Sorry but I don't think I can update the poll with more choices.

Either I married the wrong woman (j/k - only in this instance) or I'm part of the wrong generation (which is generalizing yet again that woman over 40 are less likely to be the techie in a relationship than woman in their 20s or 30s). Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, but I wish sometimes (ok more than sometimes) that not only did she get this about me, but that she shared it with me.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm over 40. ;)

My husband works in the tech industry. And has an Apple Watch. I ordered it.

I'm the preorder/launch day member of this relationship. I bought My iPhone at gen 1. I didn't convince him until the 3GS was out. :D

15. kirkhuffy, May 14, 2015

kirkhuffy macrumors regular

When I first considered buying one (around the last week in April) I told my girlfriend and she (a MacBook Pro user, iMac user, iPhone user and iPad user) thought the idea of the watch is pointless. I explained to her some of the convienences of it which won her over a little.

Flash forward to last weekend at my try on appointment (my watch had already been ordered but I just wanted to make sure the 42 didn't look too big on me, it didn't!) and she finally gets to see them in person. As I'm trying on various bands the Apple employee asks if she would like to try one on. She says yes and she try's the 38mm silver aluminum case with the pink modern buckle. It looked absolutely perfect on her for her petite frame and wrists. I could see it in her eyes she loved how it looked.

As we were walking out I looked at her and said "so do you want one now?" And she tried to play cool and act like she didn't. But being with her for over six years, I know how to read her. She did the same thing with the iPad and when I got her one as a gift, she loved it.

So it looks like when these are more readily available I'll be buying her one.

16. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

My wife's first iPhone was a 4 (I had the original, 3G, 4, 5, and now 6+) - when she got her phone about 3 months later she said "thank you for making me get a smartphone, I love getting my email on it."

She also reads a lot. But she also listens to lots of books. I convert Audiobooks on CD with Audiobook Builder for her and get her Kindle books on the iPhone with the narration as well. Now with Kindle's whispersync thing she can read at night or on the exercise bike, but transition to listening in the car or on headphones, and it transitions seamlessly where you left off. She loves it. But she still reads on her iPhone 5 screen when she could use a 6 or 6+ or iPad screen to read.

She enjoys the benefits of tech, but is resistant to embrace it, and even moreso to learning how to use it.

17. Cook$ter macrumors newbie

Add me to the growing number of females on this thread who are the tech nerds in the relationship.

My husband couldn't care less about any of it, except for wanting a gadget that makes his life easier. For smartphones, for the last 5 years he has wanted the exact phone that I carry, so that when he can't figure out how to do something on it, we can be side by side as I walk him through the steps and he finds what he needs.

At this point, he has zero interest in Apple watch. But, he does look intrigued when I respond to a text from our children without taking my phone out of my pocket. If there are enough of these intriguing moments, I can see him telling me I should get the next generation watch when available, so that he can use the watch I'm wearing. (This is exactly what happened in our family with iPads.)

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

A wife speaking out here! I love tech and gadgets. Got that love from my dad though my mom jumped into video game mania with me in the 80's! Though I don't have the kind of brain wired to understand easily how it works or how to make it work, I can appreciate the end product extremely well.

My brain is more wired toward the life sciences like entomology, biology, botany. So I depend on my husband to troubleshoot or help me understand my technology. I try really hard, though to be as independent as I can. I come to resources like this forum first before asking him to solve my problems.

I was the one who drummed up excitement for the Apple Watch. I just "got it" instinctively. I'm enthralled with it even when I encounter and deal with its flaws. My husband had to be talked into it. He's been worn down lately with work and family concerns and was just too freaking tired to muster his usual enthusiasm for this sort of thing. But he is the tech guru for our entire extended family, our friends, and his job.

So I am always reading up on all the new kinds of gadgets coming out and making sure he doesn't miss anything or that I can't keep up with something he might get interested in. That means I even read up on Android and Microsoft products. I was right there with enthusiasm when he got the latest Surface. He has an incredible gift with technology and I don't want to ever see him grow old (in attitude) and stagnate and fall behind the times like many in his field have. He's a brilliant guy with a quick mind so there is no reason for him to do that except apathy and laziness and lack of support. I love the guy and won't let that rot set in if I have anything to say about it.

Even when we were poorer and struggling, I trusted in his sense of fiscal responsibility so I never questioned his purchases. After all I would not want him bugging me about mine. I'm a responsible adult and expect to be treated like one. I respect his identity as a person apart from our marriage so I give him lots of space to be who he is. The only time I give him any crap is in his taste in music, which is richer than mine, but I just have to pick on him about something for amusement. :p

He's always supported my various hobbies and obsessions even if he didn't share them. It's up to outsiders to make fun of us. We've got each other's backs.

19. rhianon29 macrumors newbie

Well, I'm a woman and my husband has no interest in new tech/Apple Watch whatsoever. I've been on here since pre-order drooling over the AW and finally ordered one for myself last week. He tells me every day how dumb I am for buying into the hype, just so you know ;)

Girls can totally be Apple fanatics, too.

This board seems very focused on dudes and I've seen a lot of sexist stuff slide around here. I really don't think I'm an exception, I just think a lot of women are lurking and afraid to post like I was. Of course, maybe I'm wrong. I could be a unicorn.

20. rozelida macrumors member

Female that loves technology and fashion (you don't have to choose one over the other).

Agree that the poll is missing options given the title of this thread.

21. flur macrumors 68000

Well, thanks for supporting the cliche. There just aren't enough guys out there that support a good sexist cliche. :rolleyes:

The "funny thing about women" is that they get po'd when dudes are sexist. Funny, that.

And no, my husband doesn't want one. Whatevs.

22. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I am always the one who gets my wife things I know she will care about because I know the things she likes and what she is into. And I get her stuff I know she wouldn't buy on her own, like a new Coach purse for Mother's Day, because I know she likes couple she has but won't go spend $300 or so on one. Everything got moved over Sunday night and she is happy with her new accessory.

Yet I have restrained myself from buying an Apple Watch, partly because I wanted to see them first, wanted to see how they did, what people had to say. I tried on the 42mm SS Link on April 10th and again since then and was immediately swayed by the finish. Not sure it is worth $1,000, but it was still very nice. I would probably consider getting a base 42 SS with a black band and adding the Link band later. Then it only feels like $600 now. But part of me hopes that my wife knowing me and my tastes and Applefinity would take the opportunity to get me one for Father's Day, birthday (which are only a couple weeks apart) or something like that. She never knows what to get me. And yet it isn't hard to figure out.

I will be shocked and awed to receive an AW from her.

For our anniversary I hinted at a GoPro. We snowboard and our kids are learning to ski. I wanted to be able to film us all on the mountain. Costco had them at a good deal. She had no idea what to get me and bought it that day out of "I can't take the time to think of anything that 'I want to give him' so I'll get him what he wants" because she was out of time and needed to bring something home. Yet she and the kids loved watching footage every week that I shot on the mountain.

There are ways that we are perfect for each other and yet in some ways she simply doesn't get me or doesn't want to. :(

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Wow, I think I'm in love! :D

24. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Well honestly I don't always know what to buy my husband, either. He is more accurate at reading me for gifts than I am for him. So much for women's intuition. :rolleyes: Also I'm not very observant. He had my Mother's Day present sitting in the garage in plain sight for days and I walked by it and never saw it! Being a mom and a daughter to older parents and in-laws who battle serious illness, my head is off in the ether a lot trying to wrestle with a lot of problems. I miss things.

And while I might be better at supporting his interests than your wife is about yours, I'm a complete horror in other ways. No spouse or marriage is perfect. Every now and again my husband has to take me aside and tell me the many ways I hurt his feelings or am a complete and utter jerk to him or others in our lives. And I have to do the same with him. Diplomatically, of course. Our goal is to help each other become better people, not make each other feel like failures.

You sound like you have it better than most people do in your marriage. It just needs a little communication. What is obvious to you may not be obvious to her. The worst trap we married people fall into is expecting the other to see what we see or know what we know. Save that for the psychics. Talk, talk, talk and never in an accusing or whining tone. Remember your goal is to help the other person take their blinders off, not put up defenses.

25. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

Well hopefully you hinted hard enough for her to have ordered it already. Unfortunately I doubt it'll be an accessible gift for Father's Day. Orders placed in May are shipping in July. I feel like late May orders will go to August. In any case I hope you get your watch one way or another!