The great UK nano sim swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedoofa, Sep 14, 2012.

1. thedoofa, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

thedoofa macrumors member

So so far we have;

O2
    Contract - O2 will have nano sims available to pick up in-store from Monday PM 17/9 - you can order online and via online chat. Sim swap via text is happening much quicker than online just Text 'swap' to 20220.
    PAYG - TBC

Three
    Contract - Offering immediate sim swap to nano sim with a Microsim adapter in store for £5.11, but free in some cases.
    PAYG - nano-SIMs will be available in store from next Tuesday 18/9

Orange
    Existing customers can now order a nano SIM. Please contact CS via 150 and they'll arrange this for you.
    PAYG - TBC

T-Mobile
    Contract - @TmobileUKHelp tweeted - Nano SIMs will be available to order from Friday and cost £10.21 :O
    PAYG - TBC

Vodafone
    Contract - You can order from Vodafone customer services.
    PAYG - TBC

Virgin
    TBC

Giff Gaff
    No nano sims for "months" :/

Tesco
    Contract - available from the 21/9
    PAYG - TBC

Any more info post below and I'll update this post :D There is always the option of cutting your sim - risky but it is there http://www.airportal.de/How_to_cut_Mini_and_Micro_SIM_to_Nano_SIM.pdf

2. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Could i somehow use a o2 payngo nano sim on giffgaff seeing as they use the same network?

If not, looks like i will be back on o2 until giffgaff sort themselves out

3. dayloon macrumors 6502

You forgot "Orange / T Mobile : Don't know what a nano sim is"

4. inkhorn macrumors newbie

Add a line for number of people who've cut down their sim to nanosim size and have it working in their current phone with an adapter?

I trimmed my standard sim down last night and have it working in my 3GS, so no delay when my pre-order arrives at work on the 21st :D

5. flipshot macrumors 6502a

No although they use the same network infrastructure they are still considered separate networks.

6. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I'm going to try 3 again today (no joy with them yesterday) and see if they'll swap mine over for a nano.

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

No news from Tesco either :D

They just say that it comes with the iPhone 5.

8. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

I'm going to do this at my local Three store at lunchtime, so I'll let you know how I get on...

9. thedoofa thread starter macrumors member

Been up since early this morning - need moar coffee!

10. Lastof macrumors regular

While most of O2's tweets say "In store on launch day", this one says "before". I suspect they don't know more than "launch day at the latest". A few hours ago they were they were saying we'd be able to order one with the phone from Apple (which I guess might be true once the rush dies down, but not this soon after launch).

11. kapa1686 macrumors member

Three

Just contacted three, they saying that if you order a nano sim for existing contract now, they will deactivate the current sim.

So best to order it 24-48 hours before you get the iPhone 5 according to the customer service rep.

Unless you can get an adapter in the shop from them? Or elsewhere?

12. shortcrust macrumors 6502

13. domodazzzle macrumors member

14. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

Seriously?
    This is the news I've been waiting for - you can trim a sim to nano and it works???

I thought the new tray on an iPhone 5 is thinner in depth - so concerned??

If it works i'll be delighted.....:D

15. gazpilot macrumors member

Virgin

Just spoke to virgin C/S and they don't have them. Guess I'll cut down my £12 rolling month unlimited data sim.

16. Lastof macrumors regular

I just worried that the tray will be extremely tight fitting and we'll end up with horror stories of people managing to get their cut down, but a micron too thing, nano sims stuck inside/damaging the sim tray somehow/etc. It'll almost certainly be fine, but can you imagine the posts if it isn't.

17. Zimpaz macrumors regular

I spoke to O2 online chat last night and apparently they are sending me a nano sim in the post. The guy did assure me it was a nano sim and not a micro sim. Im expecting to receive either nothing or a micro sim though....

18. Arthur Daily macrumors newbie

I got a nano from Three (Camden) with adaptor yesterday £5.11
    Number transfer took 2 hours.
    Everything working fine.

So to confirm, that's a Nano in a micro adaptor in an iPhone 4. WORKING.

As for cutting: http://www.airportal.de/How_to_cut_Mini_and_Micro_SIM_to_Nano_SIM.pdf

I've cut COUNTLESS mini's to micros for friends and family by hand, never used a punch (don't trust em)

As for nano being 'thinner', remember with the iPhone 4 you could have a micro & gevey ontop.
    So there's a little play room in the iPhone 4 sim slot.

I think if you cut a micro down it may slip into an iPhone 5 still, we won't know till we get our hands on the iPhone 5.
    But if not, a little rubbing on some fine sandpaper won't be so hard.
    Now we know the connector plates are constable.

19. domodazzzle macrumors member

according to this apparently so! Apparently the depth difference is about the size of a human hair so I doubt it'll cause much of an issue. I'm probably going to sand about a mm off the back with a nail file :3

20. Lastof macrumors regular

As the instructions note in the small print the difference in thickness is tiny, I think someone said it was about a tenth of a millimeter. So nothing really. It depends how much give the sim tray/reader/etc has.

21. domodazzzle macrumors member

How does the adapter work? Is it just plastic which makes the size bigger? and Does it change the gold contacts on the bottom atall or is there just a hole so the phone reads straight from the nano sim?

22. Lastof macrumors regular

Someone posted pictures somewhere earlier, I'm fairly sure it was just a hole for direct reading. The adapter just made it larger, and slightly thicker.

23. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Got mine for free from three just now with an adapter.

24. domodazzzle macrumors member

I was thinking of buying an adapter from 3 so I can cut my sim down now and put it back in my iPhone 4 for the time being but they don't have any in stock in my local 3 store D:

25. scoobdriver macrumors member

Just cut my Orange sim down, meant actually cutting through the gold contacts carefully, (but I know the "chip" is only central under the gold contacts) .

Still works in my full size sim phone with an adaptor, so I'm comfortable and a lot happier that I wont need to chase Orange for a new one now :)