Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chellek87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Dublin, OH
Considering that it as been said it is a "problem" depending on how you hold your phone and left handers have even more of a problem as it blocks the antenna, they can only fix this by remaking the phone- as my dad is left handed and has had multiple problems with dropping calls since he got his new phone. We have actually tested it out too and held were the antenna is and watched the bars go down. There is only a few solutions- a bumper, hold the phone with your opposite hand and feel awkward, or Steve Jobs solution was don't hold it that way. At least Apple Customer Service is trying to do something about it, rather than just say tough luck, and making you pay $29.99 for a piece of rubber.

Once again Apple is trying to make its customers happy :)

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
They offered me nothing except an apology and they said engineers are working on a solution and they don't know how long will it take. Then, I said it might take three months?? He said maybe I don't know!!!

Thats what I got just now too. My call dropped while on the phone with them, I had to call back. I didnt ask for a supervisor, i wasn't rude or mad. I just it known (documented) that mine is one of the bad ones.

Encanto

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
I just called and all I got was a " I am sorry I would like to apologize" she said that they are working on a fix. She was not allowed to give any for free. Thats my luck!

aloeb

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Knoxville, TN
I phoned and talked to a representative who was rather unhelpful...

she basically told me to perform a hard reset and see if that helps. She told me where my nearest Apple store was (after waiting there for 11 hours to buy the phone) and told me to go there and buy the bumper.

I called back after receiving a case number and spoke to Michael (a supervisor) who immediately apologized and offered a free bumper in any color!

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
Apple is make billions from us, every iPhone has come with less and less stuff in the box an you're complaining that we are freeloading?

Take advantage of the system because they've already taken advantage of you.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I'd be surprised if Bumpers cost them more than $1 ea. to produce. So, giving them away to help lift public opinion is nothing for them.

SpartanTX117

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
I don't have the reception issue but I did have shipping issues...

Phone got shipped to New York instead of Texas and instead of getting it on the 23rd I got it Friday the 25th... Was on the phone for about 4-5 hours the 23rd and 24th...

Apple gave me a free bumper, dock, and 50 dollar off coupon...

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
something tells me certain reps are giving them out at their own discretion to quell complaints and Stevie will squash it Monday morning when he finds out about it

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Apple is make billions from us, every iPhone has come with less and less stuff in the box an you're complaining that we are freeloading?

Take advantage of the system because they've already taken advantage of you.

If you feel taken advantage of then why buy their products?

imisplacedmine

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Like I posted in the other related thread:

I just got off the phone with 1-800-MY-IPHONE

The first time I called they just wanted to set me up with a apple store genius appointment, so I said no thanks and got off the phone. I called back and the second rep was super nice and helpful. After 15 mins of talking with people he said that there wasn't any bump case compensation. I asked if he would talk with a supervisor again. The supervisor actually got on the phone with me and asked if I was wanting a discount on a case. As we were talking my phone dropped the call. He called me back and asked for my address and said he was shipping me a black bumper case.

Very nice surprise.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I called them and explained my situation and my dropped calls and such at work/school. Rep was nice, put me on hold for half an hour. Then....

4736701444_e2ee364166_b.jpg

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Considering that it as been said it is a "problem" depending on how you hold your phone and left handers have even more of a problem as it blocks the antenna, they can only fix this by remaking the phone- as my dad is left handed and has had multiple problems with dropping calls since he got his new phone. We have actually tested it out too and held were the antenna is and watched the bars go down. There is only a few solutions- a bumper, hold the phone with your opposite hand and feel awkward, or Steve Jobs solution was don't hold it that way. At least Apple Customer Service is trying to do something about it, rather than just say tough luck, and making you pay $29.99 for a piece of rubber.

Once again Apple is trying to make its customers happy :)

This is not true, I CAN NOT reproduce this issue even while holding in the spots it says you shouldn't hold it. So no, it's not a "problem" for all phones.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
This is not true, I CAN NOT reproduce this issue even while holding in the spots it says you shouldn't hold it. So no, it's not a "problem" for all phones.

I am pretty confident it is a problem for all phones, just not in all areas. Within a half mile of a tower, my 4 is perfect too.

wishman35

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
We deserve bumpers for Apple incrementally taking something away from us with each iPhone release.

We first got the dock taken away from us with the 3G, and then we lost the SIM Ejector Tool, and then we lost the Microfiber Screen Wipe, and now we lost the DAMN foam at the top of the iPhone box.

Bumpers should be given to us all in retribution

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
We deserve bumpers for Apple incrementally taking something away from us with each iPhone release.

We first got the dock taken away from us with the 3G, and then we lost the SIM Ejector Tool, and then we lost the Microfiber Screen Wipe, and now we lost the DAMN foam at the top of the iPhone box.

Bumpers should be given to us all in retribution

So my first generation iPhone cost around $600 and came with everything. My new iPhone 4 cost $199 plus $29 for a bumper and came with a charger, usb cable, and two apple stickers. It did not come with a microfiber cloth, sim ejector tool (aka a fancy paperclip), or a dock.

Apple is making their products less expensive over time for their consumers.

It is not their responsibility to buy your iPhone case for you. I also find it rather comical how most people who were complaining and obsessively tracking their iPhone orders to make sure they were the first people to have the iPhone 4 are the first people to complain and try to get Apple gift cards or free bumpers for their "troubles".

The free bumper committee should just be thankful that Apple would rather just send you a free bumper than have to deal with your calls anymore. Hopefully it will also end the endless influx of pointless threads on these forums.

wishman35

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
So my first generation iPhone cost around $600 and came with everything. My new iPhone 4 cost $199 plus $29 for a bumper and came with a charger, usb cable, and two apple stickers. It did not come with a microfiber cloth, sim ejector tool (aka a fancy paperclip), or a dock.

With all due respect, we also had to pay $10 a month more for our data plans, adding an extra $240 to that $199 cost. So if my math is right (after they dropped the original iPhone to $399, and you hopefully receiving a $100 Gift Card to the Apple Store)

The original iPhone cost $400
The 3G cost $200 + $240 in extra data plan charges = $440 and NO DOCK.

Sorry sir, but we all ended up paying more for our precious 3G than the original iPhone.

Chellek87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Dublin, OH

I did not say it was for all phones, but it is a known problem. Google iPhone 4 problems or iPhone 4 dropping calls. It may not happen on your phone, but my dad's it is a problem, and many others it is as well.

MasterZ

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
908, New Jersey
I am currently on hold with a lady and she said if you hold the antenna steel band you lose reception I said would a bumper take care of this and she replied whats a bumper...

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL

The last time I checked the iPhones are actually getting more expensive.

499/599
599/699

And with each one we get less stuff. What are you smoking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.