The "I might make a switch if apple doesn't hurry up" thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fluent617, Feb 9, 2010.

  1. fluent617 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    #1
    I didn't notice a thread like this and since it seemed like this was one of the only threads that has not popped up yet, i figured i would start one.

    I have a old Powerbook G4 that I love, but it is dying and I need a replacement. This thread is for the people that, out of necessity and/or practicality, might just make the switch from Apple to another vendor because:

    1. Why spend money on old technology when there are so many companies offering laptops with way better specs for the same if not a cheaper pricetag.

    2. There is no set date as to when this update will come out, speculation yes, but nothing is locked in.

    If you are one of these people, which computers are you considering?

    This is not a Apple hating thread, it is just a thread to discuss alternatives to people that cannot wait any longer...
     
  2. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #3
    Craptacular.


    And to the OP: Make the switch. We don't want you anymore.
     
  3. fluent617 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    #4
    haha, should be interesting to see what kind of replies this thread gets. But where else will you get the most unbiased answers to a question that is borderline anti-apple.
     
  4. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #5
    It's not anti-Apple.

    It's anti-rational.
     
  5. fluent617 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
  6. 1881 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    #7
    I'm also waiting on an update to replace my 2006 C2D 17" MBP. The only laptop that I'll consider if the update is very disappointing or is released after March 10 is the Sony Z which will sadly ship in mid-March. Until then the waiting game continues.....
     
  7. Ann P macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #8
    If you truly need to invest in a laptop as soon as possible 1) Buy the current line up or 2) Make the switch. However, I can see that you are convinced and have already made up your mind. Good luck.
     
  8. fluent617 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    #9
    Hmm, I am stumped as to where I said I am convinced or "made up my mind." I specifically mentioned that this thread is a alternative thread for people that might not be able to wait for the update.

    1881 - Yea, Vaios seems to be a pretty good alternative. I definitely have my eye on those just in case..
     
  9. 1881 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    #10
    How can some people even entertain the idea of buying the current line up?!?! It's just way beyond baffling to me.....
     
  10. SingaporeStu macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    #11
    I'm gonna replace my wife's 2006 iBook G4 12" with an iPad.

    It's served us well, but unfortunately now its only staying alive for a few minutes upon startup.

    I've done everything possible to keep it alive, short of sending it for out-of-warranty servicing, but alas, it is not to be.

    Anyway, my wife won't need to do anything the iPad can't do.
     
  11. hypermog macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #12
    The extreme anticipation associated with today's speculated significance has worked the denizens of this forum into a frothing hysteria. You won't get any useful information out them today.
     
  12. 1881 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    #13
    I could not have said it better.
     
  13. Peace macrumors Core

    Peace

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    Location:
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    #14
    I get a feeling you won't have to worry anymore.
     
  14. fluent617 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    #15
    I sure hope you are right.
     
  15. Cali3350 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    #16
    The ball is in Apple and Sony's court. If Sony releases their updated Vaio Z first, they win my money. If Apple updates before that, they win my money. If they update at the same time, I buy the cheaper option. Yay!
     
  16. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

    SoCalRich

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    NorCal
    #17
    Price Points

    I'm wondering what the price points are going to be. Anything around the 3k point (with apple care) is really steep. I looked at Dell i7 laptops but battery life and resolution aren't the same as the MBP. Price point is important to me because money is tight. My old PB 17" is slowing fading away... plus it is soooOO slooow for my photo editing...
     
  17. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

    Dr.Pants

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #18
    Hey OP -

    If you don't need OSX, nothing is stopping you from buying another laptop. Go ahead and get the best value equipment for your price point you see fit. Its what I did when I build my own computers.

    I now use OSX programs, therefore EFI is necessary. I might make money with them, thus I need to purchase an Apple machine (to avoid any potential legal hassle). The only reason I'm holding out instead of buying tomorrow is the fact that the 15" might get expresscard back. Which is worth the wait, IMO, since I have equipment to use with it.

    However, OP, please search the forums in future. This has been discussed to death.

    Sorry to hear that. My advice is similar. In addition to saying that your font choice is interesting.
     

    Attached Files:

  18. fluent617 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    #19
    Thank you for your helpful words. More than that, thank you for that wonderful picture you posted. Your post wouldn't have been complete without that.
     
  19. daleski75 macrumors 65816

    daleski75

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Northampton, UK
    #20
    I'll always have a mac and got a rather nice mba but I am contemplating the new envy 15 to use as a workhorse for virtualization and to replace my crap dell D610 work laptop.
     
  20. sstr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #21
    I've been a PC man up until now myself. I'd decided to go for a MBP after my VAIO died a few weeks ago because of the excellent build quality, half-decent specs and "wow factor." The problem is I need to have a laptop ready to go by Feb 22 when my University studies begin. Which means, if there's no refresh this week I'll be buying an HP Envy.
     
  21. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

    Dr.Pants

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #22
    Your welcome. No offense, but this sort of talk/threads/discussion always happens around a refresh. In hindsight, its nothing aimed at you personally, its more a personal vexation at the entire discussion that comes up.

    I did edit my above post (a couple of times).

    If you feel that you can wait for a refresh and justify it (like me and expresscard), go for it. If you haven't invested a metric arsetonne in software/hardware (aka not like me) that is tied to OSX, then alternatives may be tasty. Lenovo is very nice, as well as Dell's Precision line for mobile computers(speaking from experience); if I had to buy a non-Macintosh workstation, it would be from Sun Microsystems.

    Well, if there was any time to jump ship, now's a good time. Windows 7 is a good OS, as well as offerings in the open source community stepping up to the plate as well. Not to mention Apple caring about professionals, so far, being on the downswing (special thanks to Mr. Jobs and Apple hierarchy). From a practical standpoint, at the rate Apple is going, people are going to switch platforms for their NLE/photo/sound editing needs.= unless some major updates come out in the next few years.

    In fact, I would switch if I wasn't locked into OSX. If it wasn't for the fact that the new models are supposedly around the corner, I probably would've dropped on an older machine.

    Some recommended perusal that would pertain to the topic at hand.
     
  22. morra macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #23
    me too.
     
  23. PAC88 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    #24
    if nothing on this next update blows my mind... then I have no choice but to purchase/preorder the new sony vaio z
     
  24. fluent617 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    #25
    I appreciate your elaborate rundown. I see you mentioned Lenovo, what do you think about the W series? I will mostly be using the computer for web design and eventually graphic design.
     

Share This Page