The iPad is just a big iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iJordz, Mar 6, 2011.

1. iJordz, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

iJordz macrumors member

The iPad is just a big iPod Touch,

I hate people who actually say that , because they think they do the same thing, Now we have the iPad 2,

What would be your come back?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

3. OSMac macrumors 65816

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say "yes, yes it is. So?"

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Winner!

7. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

It has a bigger screen AND camera.

It's bi-winning. :cool:

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It pretty much is. And there are some things that are nice to have the big screen for.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The iTouch/iPhone's have cameras so it's uni-winning:D unless you need it to fit in your pocket.:eek:

10. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

So windows 7 tablets and honeycomb are a bad thing?

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

But they do do pretty much the same thing. However, so does a 7" portable LED TV and an 60" LCD TV mounted on a wall. But even the least intelligent consumer recognizes most products are not one size fits all. I don't think a SuperBowl party w/ a 7" TV would be much fun nor would I want to type a report on a Touch. The iPad is a big touch. I don't find that a bad thing.

The problem is you can't really have a worthwhile conversation with anyone who tries to be derisive by making that claim, as if there was no use for a bigger screen. It's a cliche and clearly put very little thought into the concept of size as a marketing feature. Why waste time with unthoughtful people? They are just looking for attention.

12. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Even on toucharcade, a sopposed apple gaming forum, plenty ofmpplthere mke this clwim and express how they dont want or need an ipad. Its kind of sad read the superbrothers sword and sworcery disxussion in comments how they said technology goes from bigger to smaller and other crap:
    http://toucharcade.com/2011/02/28/gdc-2011-the-dirty-secret-of-superbrothers-sword-sworcery-ep/

13. urkel, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Just curious but how ISNT the iPad just a big iPod Touch?

As much as we may love iOS, it's basically just an app launcher. What time is my appointment? Whats the weather? Who said what about who on Facebook? Very litte (nothing?) can be done without launching an app so all iOS products are basically just app launchers that come in different sizes. And thats not necessarily a bad thing because the standardization of the OS among its entire product line make iOS very simple to transition from iPod Touch to iPhone to iPad.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'd tell 'em about stories like this, scientists using an iPad as a touchscreen controller for manipulating molecules in 3D using focused laser beams.

Yeah, I know: The iPad is just for mindless sheeple. People who've been conned by Steve Jobs' marketing so they can sit around consuming content. All the REAL work gets done by people using PCs.

15. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I don't bother with people like that. It's not my job to defend Apple to people who don't like it, the CEO, or a product. It kind of is a big iPod Touch, just like a movie theater screen is a big tv, but the experience is different and better for some things.

16. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

17. urkel macrumors 68030

Theres your answer OP. Great metaphor.

18. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Tell them Apple invented the iPad before the iPhone, but decided to release a smaller iPad instead in the form of an iPhone, and then iPod touch.

So technically, they have a small iPad.

;)

19. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

20. macgirl4 macrumors newbie

Status Thing of course

Yes, it is funny how people have to run out and buy something to make them look like they are either very up on things tech wise or just very up on things, no matter how silly!:D

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think your logic is flawed. When people say the iPad is just a larger iPod touch, inherent in this statement/argument it that the iPad has a larger screen and is better due to this reason. In no way are people discounting the larger screen. Because it has a larger screen, it has advantages over the iPod touch. The problem is with the people who automatically think this is an insult to the iPad. Everyone agrees that the larger screen makes it great.

I believe the problem lies in that people want it to be more of a "computer" than just an iPod touch. Face it, the iPod touch and iPad have equal functionality. But, people want it to be closer to the functionality of a Mac.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And I agree. Stops them in their tracks. :)

Then after I say that, I mention about the larger screen and being able to use a whole new class of applications.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

"You are correct, it is."

24. joefarrell86 macrumors member

Comeback: "I'm very excited to pick up my new extra large iPod Touch this Friday."

Also, I hear this one pretty often: "Why would I want something that does the exact same thing my iPhone does?" :rolleyes:

25. urkel macrumors 68030

And that is the differentiator between the iPad and the competitors. The Playbook, TouchPad and Honeycomb concepts look more like evolutions of the Desktop OS where they emphasize customizability, show an informative UI and have an effective notification systems while dumping all the outdated Desktop OS fluff. While the iPad borrows entirely from the iPhone/Touch and brings simplicity down to a fault where notifications are obtrusive, widgets dont exist and icons dont display useful information (73° still?).

Theyre all called "tablets" but their roots and their paths seem to be aiming in different directions. In the end I'll keep buying Apple products but, like you said, I'm one of those more interested in something that adopts the functionality of a Mac rather than the simplicity of an iPod Touch.