Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithwatches

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I expect this has been covered before, but I'm constantly reminded when I see iphone design clones that my old Samsung Omnia i900 had a notch at the top of the screen years before the iphone did, and yet there doesn't seem to be a design infringement lawsuit taking place?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I expect this has been covered before, but I'm constantly reminded when I see iphone design clones that my old Samsung Omnia i900 had a notch at the top of the screen years before the iphone did, and yet there doesn't seem to be a design infringement lawsuit taking place?

There is no infringement whatsoever. I researched your phone, that’s a speaker or microphone, that’s not a notch that Apple ‘copied’ from Samsung in this design. Fairly confident there won’t be any lawsuits, being they don’t resemble anything like each other and Apples Notch serves a completely different purpose with Face ID.

C8E21AD5-33FE-4901-AB69-6822E34D7BDD.jpeg

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
After using my x for a day I can say I am not a fan of the notch but it’s better then I thought and at least there’s a good reason why it’s there . No reason why LG g7 has one . The essential phone also has a reason tho

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That isn't what a notch is when it comes to how its currently used.

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
After using my x for a day I can say I am not a fan of the notch but it’s better then I thought and at least there’s a good reason why it’s there . No reason why LG g7 has one . The essential phone also has a reason tho
I don't get these argument, no reason? The notch is simply the top bezel shrinked so it can fit more screen on the side, there is no reason for either to be there, the Apple notch is the bigger one so there's more reason for the essential and lg g7 to be there since you get much more screen on top.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't get these argument, no reason? The notch is simply the top bezel shrinked so it can fit more screen on the side, there is no reason for either to be there, the Apple notch is the bigger one so there's more reason for the essential and lg g7 to be there since you get much more screen on top.

What reason is there other then follow the trend ? Apple at least has the sensors there for Face ID and etc . The notch trend is dumb and honestly gave me thought of buying a S9 plus on sprint which is $21.50 per month . Battery life for me on iPhones have been better so I decided to get an X . Honestly I prefer the phones with no notches but it’s not a deal breaker . No need for LG to follow the trend for the sake of following .

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
What reason is there other then follow the trend ? Apple at least has the sensors there for Face ID and etc . The notch trend is dumb and honestly gave me thought of buying a S9 plus on sprint which is $21.50 per month . Battery life for me on iPhones have been better so I decided to get an X . Honestly I prefer the phones with no notches but it’s not a deal breaker . No need for LG to follow the trend for the sake of following .
So phones can get more screen on the top thus making them almost all screen? Apple had no reason for the notch since the "notch" is only a bazel which could be full sized, but since they did shrink the bezel "Notch" and made possible to make an all screen phone the other OEMS followed and I see nothing wrong with that.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
So phones can get more screen on the top thus making them almost all screen? Apple had no reason for the notch since the "notch" is only a bazel which could be full sized, but since they did shrink the bezel "Notch" and made possible to make an all screen phone the other OEMS followed and I see nothing wrong with that.

Yeah because beside the essential phone no other android device had a notch. It it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck . All these android devices made the notch AFTER the iPhone X was announced. And to make the facts straight I hate the notch on the iPhone X . Battery life is what made me decide on getting an X over a S9 plus.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Yeah because beside the essential phone no other android device had a notch. It it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck . All these android devices made the notch AFTER the iPhone X was announced. And to make the facts straight I hate the notch on the iPhone X . Battery life is what made me decide on getting an X over a S9 plus.
You barely notice it when used and I'm sure Samsung is going to follow it on the S10. But yes it's a "stupid" trend but I think there are worse things to worry about on a phone such as, privacy?

Reactions: akash.nu

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You barely notice it when used and I'm sure Samsung is going to follow it on the S10.

You do notice it when I’m starting it right now. At least LG allows you to black it out . I don’t like the notch but my desire of an OLED screen and Face ID makes it a design factor I can deal with .

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009

My HTC Droid Incredible had one too:

81Lw9AJGRhL._SY445_.jpg

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
You do notice it when I’m starting it right now. At least LG allows you to black it out . I don’t like the notch but my desire of an OLED screen and Face ID makes it a design factor I can deal with .
When looking at the screen I barely look up so I can't notice it unless I specifically look to it, when it's really noticing and annoying is watching full screen videos or playing games.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
When looking at the screen I barely look up so I can't notice it unless I specifically look to it, when it's really noticing and annoying is watching full screen videos or playing games.

When looking at the screen you can see the notch . It’s totally annoying . Not deal breaker annoying but annoying either way

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, just meant it had a “notch” in the design like OP’s Samsung.

Idk didn’t bother reading the op . Wasn’t worth it . Do agree the whole patent thing is dumb and don’t think apple can patent rectangular phones and rounded corners but good I wasn’t in the jury I guess

Reactions: dcpmark

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah.
When I saw the G7, I was like...

You're serious LG?

Plus rumors that it's easily fooled with a picture, not looking good.

Reactions: Closingracer

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah.
When I saw the G7, I was like...

You're serious LG?

Plus rumors that it's easily fooled with a picture, not looking good.

Tbh the whole picture thing is overblown at least for me . You would have to find the owner of the phone and let’s say his name is Joesph Klaus. You’ll need to find the right person and etc . I used face unlock on my note 8 and prefer its implantation . No need to swipe up . More secure though no .

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Tbh the whole picture thing is overblown at least for me . You would have to find the owner of the phone and let’s say his name is Joesph Klaus. You’ll need to find the right person and etc . I used face unlock on my note 8 and prefer its implantation . No need to swipe up . More secure though no .

It just seems so easy as the internet is just an abundance of tools that can be used to hack if you know where to look.

I don't use Face recognition on my V30+ either.

I think  really had the right idea and they've done pretty good with security on it. It's not perfect but it's certainly scores ahead of what LG has.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It just seems so easy as the internet is just an abundance of tools that can be used to hack if you know where to look.

I don't use Face recognition on my V30+ either.

I think  really had the right idea and they've done pretty good with security on it. It's not perfect but it's certainly scores ahead of what LG has.

Idk what lg is using but similar to Samsung I assume . Tbh I don’t put much thought into it . The convenience outweighs any security issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.