The Keurig Fan thread...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Illuminated, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

So I just received a Keurig Elite coffee maker for my birthday yesterday...Drinking a cup of Caribou Coffee right now...It's reallllllly good. Probably the best cup of coffee I've had.

So this thread is for posting your favorite Keurig coffee maker, favorite line of k-cups, and the like...

c'mon, post up!

2. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I've got the Breville model that takes K-cups and I love it. My favorite coffees are Timothy's Italian blend, Donut Shop, and Newman's Own Extra Bold. Good stuff.

3. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I'm not a huge fan of Donut Shop...a bit bitter if you ask me...I do like Caribou Coffee though.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have a B60 that I bought a few years ago. Well, technically, it was a gift...

The story: I bought one for myself back when I was still living with my parents. I had just bought a new house and was waiting a few months for it to be built. I was planning on taking it with me when I moved, but in the meantime, everyone in the family used it and loved it. When I finally moved into my place, my parents bought me another one as a housewarming gift, because they wanted to keep the one I'd bought :D

As for K-Cups, there is a local store that sells them loosely (pick any 24 for $15 Cdn) which, while not exactly cheap, is a nice opportunity to play around with different flavours. I really like Timothy's German Chocolate Cake.

I actually use it a lot more often as a convenient hot water dispenser for tea, instant soup, etc.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I must have gotten hold of a bad K-Cup, because the one and only Caribou cup I've had tasted like ass - and not in a good way. Everyone else seems to like it. *shrug*

I'm not much for drinking hot drinks in the summer, but I'm fond of the Coffee People Donut Shop and Emeril's Vanilla Bean BAM!.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Love my Keurig. Got it as a housewarming gift over 2 years ago.

By 50 packs from Amazon. Click the subscription option for 15% off and cancel anytime. Most 50 packs end up costing about $19-20.

Perhaps you'd prefer the breakfast blend of ass. Much smoother. ;)

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I like the plain french vanilla, pretty good. The OR has a selection of 15 or so I am trying to get through. The fancy ones I don't care for.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I do like it smooth.

9. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I am drinking my 6th cup of coffee of the day...6th different kind.

I love this thing.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sleep will become just a dim memory. ;)

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been a Keurig B60 user for several years now. My K-Cup of choice is Green Mountain Dark Magic Extra Bold which I purchase from coffeecow.com, 6 boxes at a time. I'm a Keurig addict!!!

12. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Surprisingly, I took like 2 naps today...before each one I drank a cup of coffee. Caffeine doesn't do anything to me...i've worked in a coffee shop for like a year, and all i did was drink coffee...I've grown immune to the caffeine.

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

So I want to buy a machine for my office at work, but the Tassimo is quite a bit cheaper than the Keurig. (I don't want the mini-brewer where you pour in one cup at a time - that's just silly).

So I know I love my Keurig... anyone compare performance and taste with Tassimo?

14. danny_w macrumors 601

I got mine a few years ago and love it. I drink mostly Nantucket Blend and sometimes Norma Jean's Hazelnut.

15. Hraggleblarg macrumors member

Oh, coffee, my one true love. I don't know what I'd do without my Caribou Coffee in the morning.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I'll have to try that one since so many here seem to like it. I need to get some more anyway.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

These are the K-Cups that I buy. Gotta love Amazon Subscriptions.....

I bought my B-70 6-8 weeks ago, and I friggin' love it.

18. danny_w macrumors 601

I get most of my K-cups from Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a fairly wide selection here, bigger than any store that I have seen, and most everything is $9.99 per box.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Dude, you're paying way too much and there are way more selections that they have. You're paying 10 bucks for 18 cup boxes whereas I pay $20 for 50 cups through Amazon.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The Breville is a Keurig with a different facade. The entire internal machine is all Keurig B70. In short, you pay a premium for a really fantastic looking machine that will perform just like a B70.
    I had a Tassimo before I had the Keurig. In short the Tassimo was way louder, the selection of coffee and tea is very limited (only winner is if you're a huge Starbucks fan) and unless you concocted some home made filter you could never use your own coffee like you can with the My K Cup. I found the Tassimo to be a nice machine and it held up strong for the 2 years I had it. However, I felt as though the Keurig was the way to go for me. One thing the Tassimo does do over the Keurig is you can buy cappuccino where there are two pods; one for coffee and one for milk. Keurig has a Gloria Jeans cappuccino but it is just a hint of a flavor and not actual milk product. Understand the milk in the Tassimo cap is not really straight milk because it needs not be refrigerated.

For selection and overall appearance I would go Keurig all the way. I don't miss the Tassimo one bit.

I am a fan of:
    Vanilla Bean Bam!
    Big Easy Bold
    Black Tiger (rawr)
    Jet Fuel
    Wake Up Call
    Gloria Jeans Black Gold
    Rainforest Espresso (Timothy's)
    Midnight Magic (Timothy's)
    Parisian Nights (Timothy's)
    Tully's French Roast
    Diedrich French Roast
    Gloria Jean's Pumpkin spice (there is no other better tasting PS in my opinion)

21. danny_w macrumors 601

You are right, they are much cheaper, and if Amazon had smaller boxes I would buy from them. I have done so in the past, but I would rather have less of more flavors than more of a single flavor. Has Amazon changed? You used to only be able to buy in 2-packs or larger, and I was always afraid that they would go stale on me before I used them all up.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You can order smaller boxes from shoffee.com and still pay less than at BB&B. Bigger selection, too.

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Don't stores like BB&B offer regular coupons? I know here in Canada you can buy K-cups at stores like Home Outfitters, and there's always a 20% coupon floating around. You can also get them at places like Future Shop and Best Buy, who sometimes put them on sale. Costco in Canada sells a 50-pack of Van Houtte medium blend for $25.

24. danny_w macrumors 601

Yep that's what I do.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you have a location near you?

Or you can order on-line at www.canadiankcups.com.