Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeeleGames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
France
Hi everyone ! I'm Dimitri, Game Designer for Seele Games.
We just released The Knight Watch, a fast paced puzzle game combining chess mechanics with arcade gameplay. We feel it perfectly fits Apple Watch device and can work for short spurts or longer sessions. Let us know what you think !
giphy.gif

You can download the game here

As a lone knight who can only move in an L-shape (as in chess) the goal is to clear the levels by capturing all of the pieces. During the game, you will meet units inspired by chess pieces(rook, bishop, queen…) and tricky obstacles to overcome through 200 levels and 3 games modes. We also dod a skin system allowing to change characters and background visuals at will, with 30 themes available !
The game is easy to learn but hard to master and can be enjoyed by newcomers and chess experts as well.

Our goal is to make a good game for iPhone/iPad, but also for Apple Watch. In order to do this, we adapted the gameplay, visuals and game modes to be optimized on the Watch. I hope you will like it.
312x390bb.jpg
312x390bb.jpg
312x390bb.jpg

Apple Watch Features :
- Unique game modes
- 100 unique levels
- Complications
- Apple Watch only leaderboards.

What could we improve ? Which kind of updates would you like to see ? Let us know !

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
I've got the game, and played it on the watch. I really like the gameplay and control responsiveness. I've so far been compelled to replay every board until I got a gold star, which is always a sign of a well done puzzle game. In fact, I think this type of chess knight puzzle works the best on smaller boards. It still allows for lots of puzzle creativity, but doesn't make it prohibitive to actually plan a few moves ahead.

My suggestion for an improvement is to make instructions screens have at least slightly bigger text. Even though it's all pretty self-explanatory, I think older people will have lots of trouble reading text that small. Maybe even make it normal size, and just make the instruction page scrollable.

Another suggestion would be to have an option where the pieces look just like single color chess shapes. Something entirely utilitarian like the UTF8 chess characters: ♔ ♕ ♗ ♘ ♙ ♚ ♛ ♝ ♞ ♟ ♖ ♜ I think I would actually prefer that over the ornate visuals you have now, on a screen this small. Lastly, I think your watch icon could look simpler as well, rather than being a smaller version of the phone icon. Maybe just a zoomed up yellow horse's head could be enough?

*edit* Playing the conquest mode on the watch for a bit now, and I noticed that the leaderboard doesn't show any actual scores. It just shows 0 in all four places.

Last edited:

SeeleGames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
France
Hi Marconelly, thank you for your feedbacks !
- I think you're right for the text. We will probably try to shorten it in next updates.
- UTF8 characters : added to our brainstorming list for next themes.
- conquest mode : did you play it online ? Could you take a screenshot if you dont mind ?

SeeleGames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
France
Hi everyone ! We released an Autumn update that is available now !

-4 new themes for customization
-new leaderboards
-gameplay improvements : you can now see the gold moves needed to finish a level.
- a new language (german)
- bugs fix
It also improve performances for iOS11/Watch OS4 users. The update (and all the following) are free for all The Knight Watch players !
392x696bb.jpg

Let me know if you have any feedbacks, questions or comments !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.