Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelo3232

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2016
I’ve been a fan boy since the 4 hit verizon (sorry ATT wasn’t in my state when it was an exclusive prior to then) and by in large I have defended, enjoyed, and purchased APPLE since then. The MAX series is a **** show. IOS 12 is the same. 12.1.1 was stable and life was great, after that it’s been a nightmare. They break more than they can fix. I sit next to my friends running a NOTE or any other device in my basement and the internet speeds are a Joke between my $1,300 device and in some case their 250 walmart straight talk device..... it’s laughable.... not only is price of product and the masses waking up going to hurt apple the whole XS launch is a disaster and the IOS 12 has been a mess.... annual upgrade of 5 here... seriously contemplating moving to android and that PAINS ME DEEPLY... we havent had decent working phones for three months.... I mean come on...

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
I sit next to my friends running a NOTE or any other device in my basement and the internet speeds are a Joke between my $1,300 device and in some case their 250 walmart straight talk device..... it’s laughable....

That would also depend on what carrier your friends are on compared to yours. There has been a small percentage of reports here where users where getting lower benchmark speeds, but just as one says they suffer from it, one, or two more say they don't with the same phone. Perhaps you should take your phone in and exchange it for another and see if the problem persists before casting it away as rubbish.

Last edited:

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
The Max has been a dream. Pricey certainly, but has exceeded my expectations completely.
I've had better reception, WiFi and data connections than my roommate's Qualcomm iPhone 6, btw. He drops calls, and I've had many long calls without any dropped calls (same network).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Everybodys experience will vary. It’s even clear in this thread how many like the Max for various reason without issue. Others will disagree. It’s the nature of any tech product, I would say the majority are perfectly happy with it, and then you will have a select few who have experience issues where it inconveniences them, but I would say Apple makes a fairly successful phone in the smart phone industry.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Everybodys experience will vary. It’s even clear in this thread how many like the Max for various reason without issue. Others will disagree. It’s the nature of any tech product, I would say the majority are perfectly happy with it, and then you will have a select few who have experience issues where it inconveniences them, but I would say Apple makes a fairly successful phone in the smart phone industry.

Sometimes the "select few" have an agenda too, and sometimes not. It depends.

Reactions: Jovijoker

mizmimi02

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2014
Midwest
My husband and I both have the Max, his in SG and mine in Silver. Same network, same case (his is blue and mine is green), and mine is always faster. We will be sitting on the couch right next to each other, open safari, facebook, twitter, etc. and mine is ALWAYS slightly faster than his. That's not an iPhone thing, it's an individual phone thing. Neither of us have had a single issue with the phone, either in function or cosmetics. He has a Samsung Galaxy S9 for a work phone, and that phone is slower than his iPhone, but faster than his boss' XR. Perhaps you should take your phone in and have it looked at.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I’ve been a fan boy since the 4 hit verizon (sorry ATT wasn’t in my state when it was an exclusive prior to then) and by in large I have defended, enjoyed, and purchased APPLE since then. The MAX series is a **** show. IOS 12 is the same. 12.1.1 was stable and life was great, after that it’s been a nightmare. They break more than they can fix. I sit next to my friends running a NOTE or any other device in my basement and the internet speeds are a Joke between my $1,300 device and in some case their 250 walmart straight talk device..... it’s laughable.... not only is price of product and the masses waking up going to hurt apple the whole XS launch is a disaster and the IOS 12 has been a mess.... annual upgrade of 5 here... seriously contemplating moving to android and that PAINS ME DEEPLY... we havent had decent working phones for three months.... I mean come on...

Lots of ranting, no specifics. List your problems.

I had an Xs for a month and recently swapped for a Max. Other than the screen size (and possibly battery runtime), I don't see any difference in performance at all. Both are great phones.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Sell/return your Xs Max and buy an SE. $250 device that still works great. Or go with an Android as you mentioned in your OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.