Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What describes you?

• No way would I build a hackintosh

Votes: 349 23.0%
  • I'd consider it if Apple doesn't provide a new Mini or headless iMac in the next three months

Votes: 185 12.2%
  • I'm considering it right now

Votes: 578 38.2%
  • I already built one

Votes: 403 26.6%

• Total voters

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
Thanks for the help,

-x didn't work but -v gets rid of the message. Unfortunately it doesn't get past the page with text that used to be in the background. Last line is reading

'System uptime in nanoseconds: 1397596106"

or similar number each time.

I might try remaking the boot drive again and see if that helps.

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
No luck. I remade the USB image. restored the OSintall.pkg

I see the darwin countdown but it goes to a grey screen and no apple logo. I don't get the page of text either or the chance to type in -v or anything in a prompt.

I tried the iAtkos v7 method as well, but hitting F8 as the instructions say only ask me if i want to book windows 7 into safe mode etc.. Doesn't do what the guide says..

I have to head to work. Wish this would just work as described :p Any insight?

the netbook is the HP mini 210-1079CA.

I have tried .82 and .83 versions of netbookbootmaker as well. and tired not restoring the OSintall.pkg as well.

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
Sorry for replies. I have looked through various forums with OSx86 info and nothing seems to be helping me out. I can't get into the installer, still get stuck at a grey screen after darwin countdown.

Various resources say that to get into the darwin prompt you simply interrupt the countdown with a key press

http://mymacbookmini.wordpress.com/tag/manually-install-kexts/

but when I do that it just brings me to the grey screen with the various boot drives listed. no prompt.

am I missing something? how do I bring up the promtp? (not that it helped me earlier)

*edit* not a prompt, but pushing the down arrow brought up a menu for each drive, with options like verbose (sp?) mode.. it loaded some plists and stuff but is currently 'patching kernel 'mach_kernel')

***edit****
I have 10.6.2 installed on my HP mini 210-1079CA now. The only thing I can't get to work yet is Wifi and sleep. Everything else seems ok for now..
I have tried getting the IO80122Family.kext from 10.5.7 install disc but that didn't help so I'm not sure what to do to get the wifi working

Revomonster

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
I hear that this is the forum where people talk about making their pcs have mac os x on them. I would prefer not to have to search through over 100 pages to find this information. Can someone post instructions for how to make their computer have mac as the operating system? It would be great if it would be the instructions to put mac os x snow leopard my main operation system. Please help!:apple:

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I hear that this is the forum where people talk about making their pcs have mac os x on them. I would prefer not to have to search through over 100 pages to find this information. Can someone post instructions for how to make their computer have mac as the operating system? It would be great if it would be the instructions to put mac os x snow leopard my main operation system. Please help!:apple:

Well, firstly, hackintoshing is not for the faint of heart. It potentially involves considerable research and lots of trial and error. You will find a lot more resources at http://www.insanelymac.com. Start by clicking on the "OSx86 Wiki" link and go through the general information there.

Secondly, it depends a whole lot on what kind of PC, and especially what kind of motherboard, you have. Some can run OS X easier than others, some can't do it at all. Even after you manage to install OS X, finding all the right drivers and kernel extensions (kexts) for your system can be an adventure. But you'll get a lot more support at InsanelyMac.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
And hackintoshing isn't for someone who'd "prefer not to have to search through over 100 pages to find this information."...it's not something you're going to be spoon fed. The info is out there, take the time to find it - we all have lives too and aren't just waiting here with nothing to do but walk you step by step through building a hackintosh.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
And hackintoshing isn't for someone who'd "prefer not to have to search through over 100 pages to find this information."...it's not something you're going to be spoon fed. The info is out there, take the time to find it - we all have lives too and aren't just waiting here with nothing to do but walk you step by step through building a hackintosh.

+1

When i hacknitoshed my dell, i trawled through about 2GB of text and bad webpages searching for anything that could have helped,

I even wrote one of my own kexts becuase it wasnt available anywhere.

Its a long process where you learn alot of things.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
...and yet there is still no place to buy one prebuilt. With all these brilliant minds spending days/weeks finding a stable build why doesn't someone take that design and mass produce?

Ive never hacked but an researching now and would MUCH prefer just paying for one. Is there a reason why people don't (aside from legal reasons)?

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
...and yet there is still no place to buy one prebuilt. With all these brilliant minds spending days/weeks finding a stable build why doesn't someone take that design and mass produce?

Ive never hacked but an researching now and would MUCH prefer just paying for one. Is there a reason why people don't (aside from legal reasons)?

There was a couple of companies that built Hackintosh "friendly" PC's, I think there's still one or two around.

Pystar which was the damaged poster child for it got beat up and sued out of existence. They pissed everyone off, Apple, the Hacking Community, most here on MR! LOL

I think there's still a German company that does it (no OS X installed). The community has gotten really good at it and there isn't a real need, as a fair amount of modern components will work.

But as others have said, every once in a while, Apple throws out a curve ball and it takes the community a little time to adjust to it.

The truth is, if you really want OS X and a care free setup, you buy a real Mac. It's a labor of love to maintain a Hackintosh.

generalhavok

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
I just built my first Hackintosh. I took an old G3 case and modified it to accept a new motherboard. I used an intel DG41 motherboard with a Core 2 duo processor. 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB SATA HD, Nvidia Geforce 8600 video card. Bought all of my parts on newegg.
Found the OS X installation very easy. I used iBoot and Multibeast. Mostly followed this guide: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/
Basically, you burn a boot CD, boot from it, then stick in your Snow Leopard DVD, and install. It installs to your HD, then you reboot off of your boot CD again, select your HD, it boots up OS X, then you run the MultiBeast, it makes your hard drive bootable, and has options to add kexts for your hardware.
I even installed 10.6.3.
All of my hardware is working. No hours spent trawling the internet, no time wasted messing with configurations. They system is stable right now, have been using it for a couple of days without problem.
The hardest part of the process was trying to get everything to fit properly in the G3 case!
So, this was a pretty easy process to do as far as the actual installation. I find the guide on the tonymacx86 site to be excellent, and the install and configuration couldn't be easier. Wasn't much harder than installing on a normal Mac.
Just my two cents for anyone wanting to give this a try.
Before purchasing, I made sure that all of the hardware I was looking at would work well with OS X. For that, OSx86 wiki has a good database, or just google the part and OS X.
It's fun! It's easy! And, I only spent about $450 total on my parts, shipping, everything.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
PilotError-- thanks for bringing me up to date. I guess everyone has special needs and want different components which breaks any standard setup. For instance, I don't care as much for a fast GPU at this point. But I wish there was an available list of compatible parts. Do you know of one? With such a large community of hackintoshers you'd think it would be easy to compile a spreadsheet of everyones setup. It could replaced hundreds of pages of reading forums.

Generalhavoc- thanks for detailing your method

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
I'm running a Hackintoshed Dell Mini 10 as a sidekick to my MacBook. Install was very simple and went without a hitch. Runs really well, and using a combination of Dropbox/Google services I have all my important files in sync between my two laptops.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Now I just need to see some TV card readers that will work on OSX. I wanna build a HTPC with DVR function.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Now I just need to see some TV card readers that will work on OSX. I wanna build a HTPC with DVR function.

Happague PVR Products for Mac

I know a bunch of folks that use their products on the PC side, I have no experience on the Mac side though.

*** Edit *** Just realized you were looking for a Cable Card setup? Not sure if they have those... I don't even think Microsoft makes them anymore.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Core i7

My newest Hackintosh Core i7 runs great on Snow Leopard. I built it using a Gigabyte mobo 1366. I have one HD running 10.6.0, a second HD running 10.6.2 and a third HD running 10.6.3.

I erased one of the drives and tried to install Windows XP Professional SP1. It would not install so I downloaded SP3 from Microsoft and slipstreamed my XP Professional SP1 CD and the SP3 file to a DVD thinking that would do it. It still will not install.

Is it possible that I will have to get Vista or Win 7 for the Core i7?

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Anyone had much joy getting sleep and wake-on-lan working on an ASUS p5QL Pro motherboard?
In the three years that I have been building Hackintosh computers, 4 to be exact, I found that your problem is quite universal.

My most recent Hack runs perfect, everything works exactly like a real Mac. Even though Sleep and Wake-up works fine only on my newest Hack, I have always shut my computers off at the end of the day.

Since I could not get XP Pro to install, I bought Win 7, 64 bit to install on the third HD. I built that computer primarily to run X-Plane 9 and MS FSX.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I cannot sleep my h'tosh, based on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R MB. Actually sleep and wakeup work fine, but the next time a USB or Firewire device is connected the system panics. So I have to prevent it from sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.