The MLB 2010-2011 HotStove

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quagmire, Nov 2, 2010.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's officially the off season for all teams.

What are your predictions?

What is going on with your favorite team?

I hope Lee comes to NY and we isolate AJ Sucknett to Yankee Siberia. And deal Joba/Mitre/prospects for a new #3 pitcher to potentially replace Andy.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The Yankees will go hard after Lee, but they have more important issues like resigning Rivera and Jeter.

3. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

How soon before the Yankees urge Jeter to switch positions? Regardless of one's views on defensive stats, he's a defensive liability at short now. I think he's more likely to announce a willingness to move himself, since that would be the classy move and he has a knack for that.

This is assuming, of course, that the Yankees actually re-sign him. He's not worth as much to any other team, so it's hard to believe that he'll go elsewhere. I predict he signs for three more years for $35-40 million.

Safe to say that all that speculation about Jeter possibly breaking Rose's career hits record is completely dead.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The Yankees want Jeter to get 3,000 hits as a yankee, that is expected to happen by mid 2011. He also wants to break the record at Shortstop. I don't think any talk of a move will happen until at least 2012.

5. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Wow, just looked at his stats... he's recorded a 100+ OPS+ every year of his career except his rooking year (74) and this past year (90). What a drop-off in production...

That said, love Jeter... absolutely HATE the Yankees, but I hope Jeter retires a Yankee... players starting and ending their careers with just one team doesn't happen enough anymore. 3 years, $45-50 million seems about right.

Cliff Lee, yikes... he might have hurt his value for free agency just a little. He'll still get paid boatloads of cash... I just hope it isn't from the Yankees. To spite them, I'm going to predict that Lee goes to the Angels (5 years, $100 million). Realistically? I think he goes to the Yankees for 5 years, $112.5 million. Had he not fizzled in the World Series, I think he would have commanded $25 million/year.

Carl Crawford... would love to see him in a Tigers uniform. I think what happens is he uses the Tigers (who have tons of money coming off the books) to set the salary bar, and someone else will get his services. I'm thinking he goes to the Angels or Red Sox for 6 years, $100 million... or the Tigers for 6 years, $100 million (with a 7th year as a player or performance-based option for $120 million).

Adam Dunn I think prefers to stay in the National League... I don't think he wants to be a fulltime DH, even though that's exactly what he should be. Giants? Phillies? Nationals? I think if he leaves the NL, it's for a team like the Tigers (assuming they miss on Crawford) who overpay for a one dimensional player (albeit a deadly one) to the tune of 5 years, $80 million.

Those are my big predictions for the offseason, I think. :)

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I love Jeter, but don't think they should keep him at any cost. He's fading.

As for Cliff Lee, bring it on. If we learned anything from the World Series, it was that you need pitching when you get to the big show.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Jeter is the face of the Yankees and really of baseball. I don't think you can put an amount on what he means to the team. There is no way they let him go, he will be a part of the franchise until his death.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I couldn't agree more. There's no way he's not a Yankee for the rest of his career. The fans wouldn't allow it, and I don't think the Steinbrenner family would allow it either.

He's going to have to make concessions as well..eventually he's going to have to switch positions. But for now, the Yanks are kind of handcuffed here. I just hope it doesn't get ugly.

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

2011 Predictions

Chicago Cubs won't make it....

Angels will struggle in the west as usual with the Oakland A's and Rangers....

Dodgers will struggle, new coach, new staff, hopefully new owner....

LA is going to head to a season similar to before Joe Torre, Giants will make fun of Dodgers....

We have competition in the West Coast finally!!!:p

Alright that is it.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

if Lee goes to the Yankees I probably won't watch baseball anymore.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't your team the one that spent 100 million on Dice-K?

12. TSE macrumors 68030

You know, I was looking at the A's roster, and their pitching is insanely good. If they had a half decent offense they would be pretty darn good.

Do you think they will go after a big bat or two this offseason either in the free agent market or trade for one?

Supposedly their left fielder, Carter is supposed to be the next Jermaine Dye with better defense.

13. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

This is the A's we're talking about here. What do you think? :D

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When was the last time the yankees when ever someone, and failed to get it. I can't recall. Lee is on the top of their list so its almost a forgone conclusion. Just how many commas in his paycheck will need to be worked out.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

CBC Television is on the phone.

They want their stove back. It's Winter, and gettin' cold in the rink. ;)

16. TSE macrumors 68030

What do you mean? In 2006 they went after free agents and trading for the right pieces aggressively and it got them to the ALCS.

17. 63dot, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I expect AL ace pitcher Lee to possibly go to the Yankees or Red Sox.

He will be a strong addition to either team and may be a deciding factor as to how far they get if either team goes to the postseason.

As for my Giants, I know Uribe and Renteria may have a shelf life, so it's hard to imagine another serious WS run.

For the NL West, I think San Diego will be dangerous.

As to who will go all the way, it's anybody's guess.

Hmm, actually I take that back. The Yankees have won the WS five times with an aging crew of a few great players who will only go downhill (if not next season, definitely in the next several seasons). If they dump them, they will retire and go to the hall of fame or even get coaching gigs. That will free up money, as if NY needed it, and not only can they go for Lee, they can go for others in the league and engineer another few WS caliber teams for the future.

And when those players get old and pass their absolute peak (over 32-36 ish), then rinse and repeat. Some teams don't have the financial pull to effortlessly do that.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

He's making like 6 million a year. 50 million of that was the posting fee, which they more than made back in international marketing.

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I look for the Giants to check out the market on Crawford and be unsuccessful. They are not going to spend the insane amounts of cash some other teams are going to throw at him. Huff and Uribe are their real priorities, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Huff come back at a new, or should I say old, position - left field. Brandon Belt is waiting in the wings to be the new first baseman. Renteria is gone, unless he comes back as an emergency one year deal to replace Uribe, who is going to get offers from elsewhere. Burrell is likely gone, but I'd love to have him back as the first right-handed bat off the bench. Some one will offer more for "the Machine," I think.

I see the Giants going into next year with this lineup:

Torres, cf
    Sanchez, 2b
    Posey, c
    Huff, lf
    Ross, rf
    Belt, 1B
    A in better shape Sandoval or De Rosa at 3rd
    Uribe, SS
    Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Bumgarner, Zito, P

Not bad, but no sure thing either. If Huff and/or Uribe leave it's scrambling time. If Belt doesn't turn out to be as good as advertised it's the same. Although Huff at first, and De Rosa in left maybe their fall back. That could be ok if Sandoval snaps back.

20. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Belt looks like a pretty exciting prospect. Hits for average, hits for power, draws walks, even can steal some bases. I wouldn't count on him being ready for the bigs next season, though. The best that can be hoped for is he forces his way into the majors mid-season like Bumgarner and Posey did.

Shortstop is going to be a bit tricky. I think the best options is to re-sign Uribe, though I'd like him better as a utility guy and not a starting shortstop. The free agent shortstops on the market look pretty bleak, and the Giants' best shortstop prospect is still over a year away from being ready.

It's going to be nice going into next season not having to worry about the starting pitchers, and only having to make minor tweaks to the bullpen, depending on who re-signs and who leaves.

The Giants won't be signing one of the top tier free agents. Jayson Werth would be fantastic, but will cost way too much money. I'd rather have him than Crawford.

A lot is going to depend on Pablo Sandoval returning to form. Hard to believe the Giants went all the way without getting much of anything from the guy who was their best hitter by far over the previous two seasons. The Panda had a tough season personally -- he got divorced, his mom's house in San Bruno was affected by the big gas explosion, &c. -- hope he can put all that stuff behind him in 2011.

21. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

I don't think I'd ever use the words "Chris Carter" and "better defense" in the same sentence.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Love that!

23. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Do you guys think the Yankees should go after Rafael Soriano? Right now, there doesn't appear to be an in house replacement for Mo( Joba is choking and Robertson doesn't appear to have closer stuff).

Give Soriano something like a 6 year deal with an opt-out clause at 3 years( as I don't see the Yankees signing Mo longer then 3 years and he'll probably retire then) if he doesn't become the closer by then.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The word is that Rivera wants to only sign a 1 year contract rather than get locked into a long term deal. The same way Pettitte is signed year by year.

25. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Which makes it even more imperative to get a replacement locked down as he could retire any off season now with no replacement setup. I think Soriano is the top closer on the market today. Sign him and he'll be the important bridge to Mo with plans for him to be his replacement.