Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crouch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Can you please keep testing the phone and report back to us? I have a qualcomm iphone x and im trying not to have the same issues I had with the XS/XS max
Will do. I'm going to pull RSRP numbers tomorrow in Field Mode. FWIW, I just wrote this in another thread:

Someone made an interesting point in another thread, that perhaps the carriers were being more aggressive now in switching your phone to the band they want, and not what makes the most effective sense for you.

I realized tonight that my dead zone problems on the new Pro 11 are easily solved if I turn the LTE off. (I get dead zones in my house, even with one to two bars of service showing.) Why doesn't the phone figure this out on its own, and switch to 3G automatically?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Here are my field test results. Test done on the 11 Pro and X. Same location in the house. First is from the 11 Pro, 2nd from the X. Since they have different modems, the field test display will not have an identical layout. From what I recall, the numbers on the 11 pro are very similar to what I saw on the Xs Max that I sold.

IMG_2579-1.PNG
IMG_2578-1.PNG

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
To me it sounds like you're just in a bad area which isn't necessarily a phone issue but rather a coverage issue and network saturation issue.
You really need another phone in that same area, side by side, at the same moment to know for sure.
It’s definitely a phone issue. Apple’s OLED models have a “4x4 MIMO” antenna which in theory should be better, but clearly isn’t. The Xr (which didn’t have this antenna) is known to have much better reception. If you live in an area where good reception is key, buy the 11 not the 11 pro.

jordii

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I have an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 11 Pro, and can compare them side-by-side.

In areas where iPhone 7 is barely but consistently able to make a data connection (2 bars), iPhone 11 Pro is at 1 bar and unable to do anything.

Back goes the iPhone 11, and I will buy a used iPhone X, being sure to score one with a Qualcomm modem (i.e. model A1865). Apple is selling some refurbished iPhones X, but they're nearly the same price as new iPhone 11s

Last edited:

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
@WiWavelength has stated several times, it’s likely the poor antenna design of the Xs, Xs Max, 11 Pro and Pro Max and not the intel modem. The Xr and 11 also use intel modems, but they have better reception due to a different antenna design. So it’s just poor Apple engineering that’s the problem.

Reactions: tonyy

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Solution for you, I copied my response from another thread:
AT&T have them also and they work magnificently! We lived in a very rural area and had horrible reception...with every iPhone from original through 6. I placed many trouble calls to AT&T and they finally caved and had me keep logs. Ended up providing us with a micro cell.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I have an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 11 Pro, and can compare them side-by-side.

In areas where iPhone 7 is barely but consistently able to make a data connection (2 bars), iPhone 11 Pro is at 1 bar and unable to do anything.

Thank you for the report. SO needs a new phone, we're probably going iPhone 8+ until the antenna is redesigned.

Reactions: Techwriter

jdeboxtel

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2017
Hi everyone,

First of all, I just want to say that I 100% support the fact that in ideal signal conditions, the XS and 11 Pros get wonderful cellular speeds on AT&T -- I've experienced this first-hand, and I'm not here to argue that. This thread is for everyone who suffered through dropped data connections and terrible download & upload speeds in less-than-ideal signal conditions, especially those who moved to the XS from the 8+, and couldn't out why their phone didn't work as well as before. My backstory, from two previous posts:

Well, this morning I picked up a brand new 11 Pro, and began testing the cellular connection, and the download and upload speeds. I want to preface my results by saying I'm just one person, and that your milage may vary. That said, I've been on this rodeo for awhile now: this is my third phone with the issue. Here's my conclusions:

If you're an edge case -- if you're one of the few that has experienced dropped cellular connections because of low signal strength -- upgrading from the XS to the 11 Pro will make very little difference. I'm getting 0.02 Mbps down and 0.02 Mbps up in Washington, DC, with many efforts resulting in a "data connection not found" error. My first XS did this, my second XS did this, and now my Pro 11 does this too.

If I walk a few blocks over, everything's peachy: 71.5 Mbps down and 11.8 Mbps up. As I said before, in normal signal conditions, the phone is wonderful. But if you're one of the folks in a less-than-deal area, the upgrade will not help you. Sorry folks.
My XS Max was so terrible that I went back to the 8+. I couldn’t use the XS Max at all from my home office. For a while, I took advantage of WiFi calling to overcome it but when I would travel a few blocks away from my home network, I could only use my wife’s 8+. My XS Max just would not work, even when we were sitting side by side and on the same network, her 8+ worked when my XS Max would not. I use Verizon. Thanks for the review, when I saw the new phones had Intel chips I started watching for a signal review.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I hate to say so but some of the tests that I see people do and talk about and get bent out of shape about are kind've laughable really.
First off, speed tests mean nothing really in determining much of anything other than what you measured at the instant it was measured and how the phone was held or not, whether it was in a case or not, what direction the phone was pointed at, and what kind of situation the tower may or may not have been experiencing as far as network congestion is concerned. I can do 30 different speed tests on a phone, one after the other and literally get 30 widely different results. So in order to determine anything at all, in the least many tests must be done and an average observation concluded. Even then, one does not know much of anything because there are just too many variables involved as far as the tower itself is concerned.
Second, it's really too bad but iphones just have no apps available to them in order to view the actual dbm level of the receiving signal. The bars on the phone mean nothing, I repeat NOTHING. One must look at actual signal strength instead and the only way to do this is to go into field test mode on the iphone and view it. Even then, how you are holding the phone and what direction it's pointed at will have a major difference in the results as well as the fact that these results will change constantly from second to second ranging from something that you may think is great, to something that will make you regret having purchased your phone altogether. If one really does observe the dbm results, one will see a swing of up to 20dbm (or more) at any given time. atmospheric conditions alone can make results vary quite a bit.
What's it all mean? Stop relying on measurements to determine how well your phone is doing and start paying attention to your call quality and in general how well the phone is actually working and downloading. This will tell you far more about it than any old speed test.

Reactions: airjay75

jpapa1086

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
ummm this is exactly what was observed with the last generation and why we are discussing it now. In addition to our observations, we would like to back those up with numbers to see if they correlate. Qualcomm is significantly better than Intel. Intel made an inferior product. We were simply trying to see if there were any improvements in our observations.. you know, like the ones you told us to note lmao

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Yes but my point is that these observations by testing especially using speed test apps mean nothing. Here is an example...
A little while ago I did a speed test in an area of my house where reception isn't terribly good. I got 74mbps down.
I then went to an area of my house where the reception IS very good and got a 43mbps result. I then repeated the test no more than 30 seconds after that 43mbps one and this time it came in at 71mbps.
So what did any of this tell me? Absolutely nothing other than the fact that some outside factors (most likely network congestion) was having an affect on the results. It says nothing of how the phone itself is performing.
The only way decent tests can be run is by using test equipment in controlled environments. Something which I doubt anyone here is doing or is capable of doing.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I completely agree my friend. What's troublesome is that this wasn't an issue with the 8+. That's where my frustration lies. I will readily admit that this doesn't affect most people, but for a small percentage, it does.

edit: more than anything, this is an antenna issue.
AT&T for some reason is super bad in low reception areas. It has always been that way. Must have something to do with the towers
On the other hand Verizon shines in these situations
I’m speaking from my experience only

Ngamtns706

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
From my observations in rural north Georgia , the Xs max pro on Verizon seems better than the xs max last year on WiFi and lte also on small tests with FI. It seems comparable to a Galaxy 10 + but not as good as a pixel 3 xl which is near the top on reception. Pixel and most of the nexus lines had good reception. I’m keeping it, and I didn’t keep my xs max.

Reactions: tps3443

mrjoeyjiffy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
This is not true. The reverse is true: unless the carriers literally blanket the country with 5G cells, 5G will make your bad areas much more numerous and much worse.

Not saying your wrong but from what they told us in training at verizon, 5G will not replace 4G but work along side it. The way they explained it made it seem like 4G coverage would remain the same while areas that got 5G cells would obviously improve. I'm confused as to how that would make it worst? But thats my extent of knowledge on 5G was a little 15 minute course they has us take so take that with a grain of salt.

Reactions: newellj

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Not saying your wrong but from what they told us in training at verizon, 5G will not replace 4G but work along side it. The way they explained it made it seem like 4G coverage would remain the same while areas that got 5G cells would obviously improve. I'm confused as to how that would make it worst? But thats my extent of knowledge on 5G was a little 15 minute course they has us take so take that with a grain of salt.

That wouldn't make things worse, and I wasn't aware of that - thanks for the correction. Not that LTE coverage is great, but layering them would avoid making coverage worse for sure.

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
So the 11 will outperform the 11 Pro Max in reception? I love the OLED of the Pro, but live near plenty of rural spaces. My workplace is at the edge of a smaller city and is reception hell. I wonder now if I made a mistake and shoud have chosen the 11 instead. My XS always performed miserably in there over the last year.

Reactions: Joes1

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
AT&T have them also and they work magnificently! We lived in a very rural area and had horrible reception...with every iPhone from original through 6. I placed many trouble calls to AT&T and they finally caved and had me keep logs. Ended up providing us with a micro cell.

I tried and so did a friend they won’t do micro cells anymore say WiFi calling solves all problems. Which it does work quite well TBH.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Dumb question OP but have you thought of just changing carriers or testing out another carrier to see if that will fix your problem?

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
We went to Niagara Falls NY yesterday and I took my new 11 Pro Max and I averaged 2 to 3 bars in signal strength and it matched my wife’s Iphone 8 only one location was bad for signal strength went to 1 bar and that was inside the Niagara falls outlet mall but after talking to a sales rep in the mall most phones have a similar experience for signal strength.

Reactions: StoneyG

torqueflight

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2018
The signal strength bars are misleading. I’ve had many many times where I’ve has 2 bars on my XS and it “appears” fine but the moment I attempt to do something that requires data to flow I will have problems. Depending on the app it varies from things like iMessage trying for a long time to send till eventually saying failed to send. If it’s waze it hangs and doesn’t update correctly. Gmail tells me no connection. Every app is different but ultimately affected by inability to transfer the 1’s and 0’s. I suspect the signal meter is somewhat rigged but don’t want to be a conspiracy theorist.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Dumb question OP but have you thought of just changing carriers or testing out another carrier to see if that will fix your problem?

I tested last years models on AT&T, Verizon , Sprint and Tmobile and they all had major reception issues and often time had no data flowing even when there were bars on the phone. My Iphone 7 and X didn't have these same problems .

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I am not a cellular expert and don't have any numbers or specs to detail, but just based on my usage with my new 11 Pro Max, I am getting faster data speeds in areas that used to be dead slow. More importantly (to me), I am actually getting connectivity in places that were either painfully slow/choppy or non existent with my previous iPhone (Xs Max).

For example, while in the restroom at work (old building, downtown Manhattan), I used to get no service, or very little service for a hot second. Now, I can actually use my iPhone and resolve pages, play connected games, etc. without having to move my phone around or toggle the cellular modem on/off.

So, even if the bars and speed are reduced while in these not so great connectivity areas, it's better than nothing at all, so to me, that's a big improvement.

torqueflight

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2018
I am not a cellular expert and don't have any numbers or specs to detail, but just based on my usage with my new 11 Pro Max, I am getting faster data speeds in areas that used to be dead slow. More importantly (to me), I am actually getting connectivity in places that were either painfully slow/choppy or non existent with my previous iPhone (Xs Max).

For example, while in the restroom at work (old building, downtown Manhattan), I used to get no service, or very little service for a hot second. Now, I can actually use my iPhone and resolve pages, play connected games, etc. without having to move my phone around or toggle the cellular modem on/off.

So, even if the bars and speed are reduced while in these not so great connectivity areas, it's better than nothing at all, so to me, that's a big improvement.
That’s good to hear. Hoping for more positive reports.

Reactions: Joes1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.