Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few weeks after the premiere of Apple TV+, the executive producers of "The Morning Show" have decided to respond to the show's more negative critics at the Recode Code Media conference in Los Angeles (via Recode).

morning-show-image.jpg

According to Mimi Leder and Kerry Ehrin, many of the negative reviews came from writers who went into the show with the purpose of hating it, due to Apple. Leder summed this up by stating that some reviews "felt like an attack on Apple."
"When those reviews came in, I didn't know what show they were watching. And I just kind of thought they were nuts," said Leder, director and executive producer of the show, who is known for her previous work on shows like ER and The West Wing. "I just felt there were a lot of Apple haters and wanting Apple to fail."

"We're focused on the story we're telling, the characters. We're inside of it. So when you see reviews that are looking at it from the whole business aspect, like, 'What is Apple doing?' and, 'They spent this much money on it' -- it's kind of separate from us."
"The Morning Show" has its fair share of both critics and fans, currently sitting at a 63 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with a more favorable 95 percent audience score. Leder referenced statistics like these and said, "The good news is that people love the show, and we love the show, and that's what matters."

At the same time, another Apple TV+ show is getting ready to launch on the service in just over a week. On November 28, Apple will debut the first three episodes of "Servant" from producer M. Night Shyamalan, and afterwards new episodes will debut every Friday, similar to the current release schedule of "The Morning Show," "See," and "For All Mankind."

servant-premiere.jpg

Ahead of the streaming launch, "Servant" premiered at the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House in Brooklyn, New York, where stars Toby Kebbell, Lauren Ambrose, Nell Tiger Free, and Rupert Grint were in attendance. The show's writer and creator Tony Basgallop was also at the premiere, as well as Shyamalan, who will direct the series.

servant-premiere-2.jpg

The first full trailer for "Servant" premiered a few weeks ago. The show follows a Philadelphia couple who are in mourning after a tragedy strikes their family. Soon after, they hire a young nanny to take care of their child and unknowingly set a series of strange events into motion.

Head to the MacRumors Apple TV+ forum to join in discussions for all of the new shows that have launched, and will soon launch, on Apple's streaming service.

Article Link: 'The Morning Show' Producers on Negative Reviews: 'There Were a Lot of Apple Haters and Wanting Apple to Fail'

Reactions: Ar40

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I guess as much. The criticism likely came from people with an axe to grind, who then went to the press in an attempt to hurt Apple’s chances to win over future talent or content deals. I pointed out the apparent disconnect on rotten tomatoes some time back and it’s nice to see this point being corroborated here.

c1bbb7524878a2ebcbd3179f5d92f0dc.jpg

Moving forward, I believe that Apple TV+ has enough content to grab tens of millions of subscribers. Assuming an annual budget of 2 billion and the average customer paying $50 a year, the magic number is 40 million subscribers. Should be quite achievable for Apple.

Using a curated feed of content revolving around compelling storytelling to get users to watch the TV app, in turn promoting other tv bundles and earning the subscription revenue. Granted, there will be detractors who still can’t wrap their heads around Apple doing original content, and think Apple should still be working on routers and cinema displays, but I genuinely think Apple is on to something with Apple TV+ and the Apple TV app.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Isn't this line of argument akin to victim blaming?!?

It's not the show stinking. It's that the audience is messed up.
Or maybe the show genuinely sucks?
Well the audience score seems to disagree with this theory. I have to say I’m with the audience on this - the show is pretty good so far and I’m definitely invested.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This is true of a lot of Apple-anything. People will go out of their way to scrutinise or find something to hate whereas they wouldn't spend anywhere near the same amount of effort for any other newly released streaming service, or speaker, or TV, or headphones...

Eventually like a tired toddler they wear themselves out once they realise people will use the products despite their tantrum, and within a few years, it'll be ubiquitous in society and nobody will care any more. Until the next thing Apple release.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Or maybe the show genuinely sucks?

Yeahhhh that's what I'm thinking as well. I haven't watched it but it looks very uninteresting to me (along with all of the other Apple TV+ shows). But the reviews I've seen are similar to the early Netflix show reviews as well. Should get better with time

Reactions: gridlocked
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.