The Most Interesting Features in Samsung's New Galaxy Note 10+ Flagship Smartphone

GeoStructural

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Don't know about you people, but I find this design very nice (externally) . Wouldn't get it though because it's Samsung (internally) :p
Well, the iPhone is also "Samsung" internally and externally. Samsung produces the screen and some chips in the iPhone and has done so for years, even the storage/memory was produced by Samsung for a while.

Some Apps and Codecs used in iPhone are also developed by Samsung or subsidiaries... your point has no basis as you put it.

Reactions: PC_tech

Alexnd

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
Just made the switch to Note 10+. Been with apple since Mac in 2003 and iPhone in 2008. It's taking some getting used to... that is for sure. But the this phone is extremely fast at everything I do. A lot zippier than my iphone. I just always feel to restrictive using iOS. It's such a rigid OS but it is well refined and that is the big tradeoff.

Reactions: tf_dc and iSilas

ani4ani

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2012
UK
Well, the iPhone is also "Samsung" internally and externally. Samsung produces the screen and some chips in the iPhone and has done so for years, even the storage/memory was produced by Samsung for a while.

Some Apps and Codecs used in iPhone are also developed by Samsung or subsidiaries... your point has no basis as you put it.
....well at least an iPhone is not made in China../s

travelsheep

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2013
Still hoping for Apple Pencil 2 to work with drawing apps on iPhone 2019 though... hope dies last!

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
First things first you sounds foolish. The kid was a college quarterback who was caught up in the moment. Imagine being condemned for everything you did as a youth. I am sure you did somethings that were frowned upon by those that were and are older that you did in your youth. Second, he is a Cleveland Brown now. I have a been a Brown's fan since I was four years old. Anyone helping the team I support and cheer for win is alright with me. GO BROWNS!!!!!!
You should probably slow your roll a little bit. If you think I was truly serious, maybe the problem is you?

Reactions: fourthtunz

pweicks

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Lots of angry Apple fans in this thread, LOL. Samsung adds new features to their devices every year. Apple re-uses the same design for 3-4 release cycles to cut costs and rarely adds a thing. That’s just how it is - worse under Cook, but was the same with Jobs. Part of the reason iPhone sales are tanking.
Disagree. There were always new and USEFUL features under Jobs, but I will agree that under Cook the innovation has taken a nose dive. Not bout the product anymore. Just the money.

Reactions: Bawstun

Jmco173

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011

Samsung makes some good (looking) hardware
I personally think the note 10 makes the iPhone XS Max and soon Iphone 11 look dated but unfortunately it’s not the look that of a phone that makes it usable. It’s the software. As good as it looks it’s still android with a Qualcomm cpu. Put an a13 and iOS 13 in a body that looks like that and wow. Even with all the improvements in android at the end of the day it just can’t measure up to the smoothness and polish of iOS. If you compare the core functions of the os iOS just does it better. Sure Samsung adds some cool bells and whistles but they are mostly gimmicks and useless. In screen fingerprint reader. Awesome concept not nearly as secure as Face ID or even iPhone 8 style Touch ID. Software is what makes a phone and Apple just makes better software.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
The audio feature getting louder/quieter when you zoom in or out on the camera is good (hopefully it is limited)

I also like the back of the phone... kinda shiny.

(plus the guys got a cool haircut) so, 3 things :)

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I really appreciate seeing the Samsung devices reviewed on here. Even though my kit is all Apple at this point I never want to be complacent in thinking that nobody else can create excellent hardware or software. I want to know what else there is. I want to see the advances and decide if my family and I should move with them. Thank you MacRumors!
I agree. I never had a problem with Samsung hardware, besides the exploding batteries and the folding nightmare, but having to know what else is out there gives me options moving forward, it's Android that scares the hell out of me. That being said, we are so deep into the Apple ecosystem that I can't see my family moving away from them ever.

Reactions: MacNeb

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
All gimmick features that Samsung will forget about the next year and won't take their time to improve.
All gimmicks till they come to the iphone right???

Every feature on this phone other than the display is either half baked, gimicky, or mediocre:

• S-pen - gimicky
  • Infinity O - gimicky
  • 3D depth sensor - mediocre
  • Face unlock - mediocre, since it's only optical
  • Fingerprint sensor under screen - mediocre since its slow, unreliable, and data is stored in the file system
  • 5G - gimicky, it's not widely available, makes the phone hot, and drains the battery
And it runs Android. Forget the iPhone, why wouldn't I just get a OnePlus over this thing for half the cost if I wanted a big android phone?
As said above.. All gimmicks till they come to the iphone right??

James

Reactions: tf_dc and kaikai830

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
All gimmicks till they come to the iphone right???

As said above.. All gimmicks till they come to the iphone right??

James
When they come to the iPhone they're implemented properly. The depth sensor will actually work properly, the 5G modem will be efficient enough to be usable, the Apple pencil has the latency and pressure/tilt sensors to make it useful as a real drawing tool.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Seriously, how does Samsung release the 3D scanning with results like this?
[doublepost=1566610576][/doublepost]
Lots of angry Apple fans in this thread, LOL. Samsung adds new features to their devices every year. Apple re-uses the same design for 3-4 release cycles to cut costs and rarely adds a thing. That’s just how it is - worse under Cook, but was the same with Jobs. Part of the reason iPhone sales are tanking.
Yeah, we are really dying for that awesome 3D scanning “feature.” LOL!!

Samsung TRIES a bunch of different stuff every year and then stops supporting it or just abandons it all together. One example was super slow motion. Horribly implemented and unusable.

They also copy things like FaceID and Memoji with inferior options.

Remember this little beauty?

The entire OS isn’t supported so why should this surprise anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: osx86 and dapa0s

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Seriously, how does Samsung release the 3D scanning with results like this?
[doublepost=1566610576][/doublepost]
Yeah, we are really dying for that awesome 3D scanning “feature.” LOL!!

Samsung TRIES a bunch of different stuff every year and then stops supporting it or just abandons it all together. One example was super slow motion. Horribly implemented and unusable.

They also copy things like FaceID and Memoji with inferior options.

Remember this little beauty?

The entire OS isn’t supported so why should this surprise anyone.
Sure, cherry pick the one thing that isn’t super stellar out of the gate. I’ve owned only iPhones since the iPhone 3G, never a Samsung, but even I can appreciate their good design.

- pinhole cutout aesthetic design instead of the ugly, disastrous notch design

- fingerprint scanner under the screen, and works

- way nicer, brighter, high resolution display

- camera with more features, better photos

- crazy 4,000+ mah battery life

These are things that Samsung is innovating on. Apple is slated to reuse the same housing 3 years running and have an ugly AF camera bump square looking thing, and *still* maintaining the notch.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Sure, cherry pick the one thing that isn’t super stellar out of the gate. I’ve owned only iPhones since the iPhone 3G, never a Samsung, but even I can appreciate their good design.

- pinhole cutout aesthetic design instead of the ugly, disastrous notch design
Which removes the ability for secure face unlock.

- fingerprint scanner under the screen, and works
...poorly, the scanner is not always reliable and fingerprint data is stored in a folder in the file system, not a secure hardware enclave.

These are things that Samsung is innovating on. Apple is slated to reuse the same housing 3 years running and have an ugly AF camera bump square looking thing, and *still* maintaining the notch.
The notch will stay until Face ID can be implemented under the screen. Apple will not remove a feature like Face ID and replace it with a half assed compromise like Samsung for marketing points.

derekamoss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Every feature on this phone other than the display is either half baked, gimicky, or mediocre:

• S-pen - gimicky
  • Infinity O - gimicky
  • 3D depth sensor - mediocre
  • Face unlock - mediocre, since it's only optical
  • Fingerprint sensor under screen - mediocre since its slow, unreliable, and data is stored in the file system
  • 5G - gimicky, it's not widely available, makes the phone hot, and drains the battery
And it runs Android. Forget the iPhone, why wouldn't I just get a OnePlus over this thing for half the cost if I wanted a big android phone?
Being crazy in love with the forbidden fruit makes one blind bro, but I have sympathy for you!

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada

Samsung is an Apple manufacturing supplier, it doesn't mean those components were designed by Samsung.

Being crazy in love with the forbidden fruit makes one blind bro, but I have sympathy for you!
In Canada this is a $1,600 Android phone. lol no thanks, blind me up sister.

TheSapient

macrumors member
May 26, 2017
When they come to the iPhone they're implemented properly. The depth sensor will actually work properly, the 5G modem will be efficient enough to be usable, the Apple pencil has the latency and pressure/tilt sensors to make it useful as a real drawing tool.

The Note stylus is fantastic. I haven't had a Note for a few years, but I used the stylus every day when I did.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Rocky Mountains, USA
Love my Note 10. Very flexible to use with lots of powerful features for the business user. The smaller form factor of the 10 vs the 9 is what I have been waiting for! S pen gestures are okay but clumsy. Other s pen functions are great and amazingly useful.

This the is my third Note after 10 yrs of owning an iPhone. Definitely not ready to head back to iOS any time soon. Samsung is innovating in many useful and functional ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSilas and mi7chy

ImaxGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Markham, ONT
I've always liked the smaller bezels on the S series phones, starting with the S8.

Looking forward to the updated iPhone in a few weeks to see what the form factor is like.
I have to admit that the screen/small bezels look good on the Note 10.

Unfortunately, if the mockups are accurate, there will be very little change in the upcoming iPhone form factor apart from a square camera bump. Things are stagnating in the iPhone design department.