The Multitasking Gestures in iOS 4.3 are an incredible feature

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doug in albq, Mar 9, 2011.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

The 4 / 5 finger gestures should be standard now—they add an incredible amount of immediate usability to the iPad.

Must be saving this feature as standard for iOS 5?

Enable them yourselves with xcode, it is extremely easy and safe.

Not hitting that home button much at all—I forsee button not being on iPad 3.

2. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

+1!

I love it. I still working on breaking the home-button-habit, though. :D

3. AppleKash macrumors 6502

Does this mean that the 4.3 finger gestures can only be used if you jailbreak your iPhone/iPad?

4. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I hadnt read about 4.3 at all so I looked up a youtube video.. they look great for closing/moving between apps, very cool.

Why wouldn't they be in the final public release?

5. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

When activated in Xcode, is it permanent or do you have to repeat the process when you, for example, turn it off?

6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

No, you don't have to JB (currently impossible, anyway).

They are included in the final release, you just have to activate them by using Xcode to put your iPad into "development" mode. It's quite straight forward and there are several "how-to's" around on the net...

7. AppleKash macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will look into this. Will this be the same process for the iPhone 4 and iPad 2?

8. DS3 macrumors 6502a

So this x-code thing is mac only? Blah. I'm sure there are ways to emulate mac and such but geez, why isn't it just in the release...

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Are these only for iPad? I'm trying it on my iPhone and it's just swiping left and right.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

Can anyone tell me why this wasn't included?

It makes me think that there are issues, otherwise in would have made this cut.

11. chrisk1250 macrumors member

They only intended for this to be a developer preview. Apple just wanted to gauge feedback on the usability of this feature. I think they announced that it wouldn't be included with the release notes of beta 2 or something like that.

What I am wondering though is, how will this affect apps that support 4+ finger swipes? Take Fruit Ninja, for example. What happens when you use 4 fingers to swipe some fruit? Will the iPad multitask?

12. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

13. puercaeli macrumors regular

+1

makes everything more fluid. And sometimes pressing home button throws iPad off balance. Gestures dont

14. Lagranger macrumors member

Agreed. The multitasking gestures make switching between apps so much more natural. I *really* hope this becomes an official iOS feature soon.

As I posted elsewhere, it may sound silly, but I've actually stopped using them for now until someone can confirm (in a few days) that they are also available in iOS 4.3 on the iPad2. I'd hate to become too attached to a feature may not be available when I upgrade to a new device.

15. Spike87 macrumors newbie

Ok, just to clarify, could I buy Xcode 4 from the mac app store and use it to enable multitouch gestures on my iPad (with the public version of 4.3) without purchasing a developer account? I was under the impression that buying Xcode 4 without a dev subscription would not allow me to connect my iPad to use for testing (and therefore) gestures. Can anyone confirm if this is possible? Thanks ;)

16. gr8tfly, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

+1
    And I'll add it makes for a more natural and "iPad" like experience when switching between apps or bringing up the multitasking dock. I hope it's still in the built shipped with the iPad2 tomorrow.

The home button was ok for it's original intent, but clumsy when double-tapping often.

You're correct - the iPad won't available for testing. Checkout the procedures elsewhere and you'll see it's a moot issue. Also, I believe the same procedure works with Xcode 3, if you already have it (although, if you you dont, I think it's still available for download for the ADC free membership level).

17. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I can think of a couple of reasons:

1) Some developers have used four and five finger gestures in their apps. If Apple are now going to effectively make those system-level gestures they need to give a good long warning period to let those devs change things or their apps will simply break.

2) This is me speculating now but I'm inclined to think this is an iOS 5 feature that Apple decided needed both real-world testing and a longer than usual developer notice period. Now if that's the case what's to say that those gestures will do the same thing they did in the preview? While it makes sense to use the five finger pinch as a home gesture you already have the home button for that... I wouldn't be surprised if it did something entirely new in iOS 5, maybe a Mission Control style setup or (and I'm reaching here) a notifications hub if they are indeed overhauling that system. I really don't think we've seen the full story here and we'll have to wait for iOS 5 to learn more.

18. Spike87 macrumors newbie

I'm downloading the free Xcode 3 now. Once it finishes I'll confirm whether it allows me to enable the gestures...

19. OSMac macrumors 65816

20. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I've down this already and it works great. I would hate to go back to not using gestures. I never touch the Home button anymore.

21. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

4.3 finger gestures? Wow, that's precision! Useful if you've lost seven-tenths of one of your fingers in a chainsaw accident too I guess :cool:

22. Lagranger macrumors member

23. Spike87 macrumors newbie

That's fantastic news! I'm still waiting for Xcode to download... all 4.14GB of it!

24. tenof26 macrumors newbie

at the risk of losing at the internet ...

where on earth can we find the free xcode 3.

Tried signing up as an apple developer, and only had the option to sign up for the ios development program, to presumably get xcode 4 ?

25. Spike87 macrumors newbie

http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/ ;)