The Music Library is Gone in watch OS 4 [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blairh, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Jgibb26 macrumors newbie

Jgibb26

I don’t remember them saying anything about it not being included yet either, however yesterday I visited the Apple store to inquire about that and the money transferr via iMessage all the rep would say is it will be in a future software update but all he would say is some time in the fall

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Incorrect.

3. Start playing on the Watch and use the watch as playback.

These are my options ... however I don't use Apple Match or Apple's music services. Some of my tracks where matched and downloaded previously. I have a feeling our OP doesn't have said Apple Matched music downloaded in iTunes THEN sync'd to the phone directly.

3. tcellguy macrumors member

The NEplayer seems to work as a third party work around. However there are some caveats. It doesn’t play Apple Music (DRM files). Also, it has to re-index when the app memory becomes limiting the OS closes the app in the background so it’s a lot slower than the prior native solution in watchOS 1-3.

4. icewolf247 macrumors member

Then they shouldn't have released watchos4 until ready

This is one of the main features I used on my watch. My phone stays in my drawer. This is such a step backwards, can I move my software back?

5. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Nope, unfortunately, we don't have a DFU mode for the watch (that would have necessitated giving us a data cable, so we could connect it to iTunes to restore to a prior OS flavour).
    I really don't see Apple ever giving consumers access to the diagnostics port in the watch.

Even better? Wanna bet that the lightning port in the iPhone doesn't go away a year or two after everyone's doing wireless charging? :) iOS updates will be a one-way trip as well (unless there's enough of an outcry to get Apple to build a rollback feature in).

Edit: I think the intent Apple had was to release everything at once...unfortunately the Apple Music changes weren't ready in time. I think there's been enough of an outcry that we could see this fixed when they roll that update out as well.

6. skillwill macrumors regular

It's consistent with them releasing the also-unfinished iOS 11

7. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I downloaded NE Player and it had no access to my music. Unless I'm doing something wrong I believe it will only manage music locally stored on your iPhone, for which I have none. I stream my iTunes Match collection.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    Have you considered an unlimited data plan? I used to only play locally stored music but now that I have unlimited (which is actually 22 GB before throttling) I can now stream my collection on-the-go with no worries. It's very liberating. I pin certain albums on my phone for planes rides only.

I don't see the reason to upgrade from S2 to S3 unless you need LTE. In fact I don't recommend an AW upgrade unless you want something nicer (say going from Sport to SS) or there is a specific feature in a model that you deem must have (like LTE).

This music issues will be answered next month. Either Apple allows the ability to access your collection once again from the Watch with the Apple Music streaming update next month or they won't. At that point the only hope is that it somehow returns in the future (feedback backlash?) or purchase an old Watch still running watchOS 3.

8. tcellguy macrumors member

9. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I just tried again. I had given permission prior too. None of my music is DRM'd. It shows no songs.

10. tech3475 macrumors regular

Neplayer has been hit or miss for me.

Yesterday it seemed to work fine but now it fails to show my playlist on the watch with some saying 'No songs' even though they show up in the app.

I've tried rebooting and reinstalling on both devices.

11. CesiumDev macrumors member

There are two different playback APIs available to third party developers, with mutually exclusive functions. Only one supports Apple Music DRM, at the sacrifice of audio processing (i.e. EQ, cross fade, etc). NEplayer must be using the other, which has a lot of powerful features but does not support DRM.

12. porkrind macrumors member

porkrind

From Apple Insider...

13. tcellguy macrumors member

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. It did take some time to populate the list each time after launching the application.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Thanks for the information. It's still confusing that the iPhone library was removed beginning with the first beta back in June. I'm worried that this indicates an active decision to remove the iPhone as a source of music.

14. 007p macrumors 6502a

4.1 is out, any hope of the iphone library returning?

Honestly couldn't care less about Apple Music.

15. alecc131 macrumors regular

watchOS 4.1. It's back, and better than ever!

16. StarBr33z3 macrumors newbie

StarBr33z3

Series 3 only. That sucks.

17. 007p macrumors 6502a

Seriously? Your actual iPhone library...not Apple Music?

What is Series 3 only? Browsing your iphone library? Apple music I can understand - and as I said, I really don't care about Apple Music, it will never work where I live.

18. StarBr33z3 macrumors newbie

StarBr33z3

Yup. With S0/S1/S2 you can only browse synced music/playlists, nothing has changed.

19. 007p macrumors 6502a

From what I have read/seen, it was Apple music that was series 3 only. I don't see iphone library being visible on series 3?

20. alecc131 macrumors regular

I have S3 GPS-only. I can browse my whole iCloud Music Library, and use Radio.

21. tcellguy macrumors member

It sounds like the watch is using Wifi to steam all of this then? That would suggest there isn't a plan to restore the iPhone library as a source.

22. alecc131 macrumors regular

Nope — even with WiFi off on iPhone, still streams on Watch. And Apple Watch can’t connect to office WiFi (captive network:).

Functionality is same as before, while also eliminating the need to select music “library source”. The system seems to route through the appropriate source on its own. Not sure yet how exactly it works...

I am using AirPods. Either:

1/ Music not locally stored on Watch streamed from iPhone direct to AirPods (Watch functioning as remote)

Or

2/ Music streaming from iPhone over LTE through Bluetooth to Watch to AirPods — this does not seem realistic at all

I would imagine 1/ above to be right, and if the Watch is too far from iPhone, then Watch streams direct through WiFi

23. fatmom macrumors newbie

can you start playing a song without BT earbuds ? will it refuse or play the song on the iphone?

24. alecc131 macrumors regular

Refuse. Won’t play on iPhone.

25. fatmom macrumors newbie

Ok so then I guess im installing that beta, I need that feature back NOW