The Music Library is Gone in watch OS 4 [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blairh, Sep 19, 2017.

1. alecc131 macrumors regular

Wait. I wasn’t clear initially. If you want Watch to start playing through iPhone speakers or paired device.... this doesn’t work.

2. fatmom macrumors newbie

thx alot
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    yup this what I wanted, a bought a watch for this 2 years ago, thx apple.

3. tcellguy macrumors member

Thanks for the information. If this level of integration is present, I'm surprised they wouldn't extent this solution to the earlier series watches.

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

it kind of just sounds like you're an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscriber...

5. tcellguy macrumors member

OK. I must have mis-read the post. This makes is sound like the ability to use the watch as a remote for the iPhone music library might not be coming back.

6. alecc131 macrumors regular

Well, it kind of is a remote for your iPhone music library, assuming the audio source is connected through Apple Watch :)

More accurately, iCloud Music Library means there technically is no “iPhone music library” — but one synced cloud library.

It’s far more consistent now with all devices working the same.
    iCloud Music Library accessible through iPhone, Watch, iPad, Mac, Apple TV. Audio source connected to whatever device you’re listening through.

7. tcellguy macrumors member

Yeah, but I often listen to music all day. If the solution is to have the watch do the heavy lifting and process the data stream I don't see how the battery will hold up. Also, at least on my series 2, when music is playing from the internal storage the watch slows to a crawl and other functions like siri don't work.

8. miltonbull macrumors member

miltonbull

Question about the series 3 non LTE. Does Apple Music on 4.1 work on it with Wifi only? Like in my gym there’s WiFi, would be nice to leave iPhone in locker. I’ve seen som answers here but I don’t really understand.

9. tcellguy macrumors member

I'm new to the forums and I'm not clear on the posting rules. Am I allowed to share an interesting app I found? This app restores some of the lost features of browsing the music library on watchOS 4 and also has some interesting features in it's own right.

10. 007p macrumors 6502a

Yes you can, given that it seems like Apple won't be restoring this, workarounds would need to come from third party applications.

11. tcellguy macrumors member

The app Albums! is pretty cool. It allows you to group albums into “boxes” and then browse these from the watch. It’s slower than the watchOS 3 solution as the music lists do not appear to be stored on the watch and have to be re-downloaded every time you launch the app. Fortunately, it has access to Apple Music and I have not seen another app that can play these songs.

Another app, NEplayer, works well for music you own, but it can’t play DRM Apple Music files. However, at this point is these files and it is incumbent upon you to remember which files are from Apple Music.

12. stef6392 macrumors newbie

I left my feedback at Apple as well. Hopefully they bring back this feature, as for me, this was the main selling point to switch from Spotify to Apple Music. Now I will reconsider my decision.
    They could either bring back the feature in the Music App or the Remote App, I don't mind. The Remote App would make more sense I think.

13. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

Can you confirm that with this app I can access my Apple Music library via my Apple Watch as long as my watch is connected to my iPhone like it did in Watch OS 3

14. tcellguy macrumors member

It’s a little different. You have to populate lists of music manually. You don’t get a full list of all the artists/albums.

Once you create lists or “boxes” you can play anything you add including Apple Music. It plays from the phone and not the watch. There is a bit of a delay while the list is populated from the phone, however it’s manageable.

Actually, I like being able to create different “boxes” of albums, as it is easier to find music by categories.

15. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

tcellguy: ok I see, I was really hoping I would be able to control with my Apple Watch, thanks for the quick response!

16. tcellguy macrumors member

You can control the music from the watch though. You can start playing new songs from the watch. This is a classical music collection I made. If I tap on these albums I can see the music tracks and play them from the phone but using the watch as a remote like in watchos 3.

Attached Files:

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I used to think I was making a mistake by keeping all three of my watches on 3.1. This confirms that I have made the correct choice. All my iPhones are on 10.3.1 and I wanted to be able to use any of the watches on any of the phones so I have not updated.

I made the mistake of updating my Nike+ to whatever update came out in March and then I downgraded the phone back to 10.2.1 and exchanged the watch for one that was still on 3.1.

Sorry to everyone who has lost this great feature.

18. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

I'm probably missing something obvious so please chime in. I just upgraded to a series 3 + lte. I went on a walk last night without my iphone to test everything out. worked great. i was able to make a call through my bt headphones and control my music (which I had transferred over to the watch). this morning i went on a jog with my phone this time and when i went to the music app on the watch to start some music the screen says "choose where to play music" and shows the name of the headphones. i pressed the name of the headphones and nothing happened. so i wasn't able to control anything from the watch. is it because the headphones are connected to the phone?

19. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I also just realised a few days ago. With watch OS4, you can no longer browse your iPhone music library. This may well be because Apple are pushing for LTE / Apple Music. But yes, it sucks!

You can play music on your iPhone, and in your watch go to "now playing" to control what is currently playing on your phone, though.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/dis...owse-iphone-music-library-on-your-apple-watch

20. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

ah! thanks for clearing that up Fireball Dragon. what a bummer.

21. seanw1990 macrumors newbie

seanw1990

Hi , I recently decided to buy an Apple Watch for the first time , being an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G , I bought the series 1 Watch a week before the release of the series 3 as the new features for the price difference don’t matter to me and I love my series 1 the thing is when I bought it it of course had watchos 3.x and you could browse you iPhone music library and with the release of watchos4 removing this feature but does anyway know of this feature is coming back in 4.1 ? Miss this feature a lot and I hope they don’t keep it out to push the lte Apple Music on the series 3

Thanks in advance

22. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

So sorry for all the questions....so I can for instance have a song box ABC on my iPhone and then once I connect my iPhone to my apple watch series 1 via Blutooth I can control song box ABC from my apple watch?

23. tcellguy macrumors member

Correct. Think of it like the old watchOS 3 music app functionality with iPhone as source, but you have curated boxes of music to choose from rather than all artists/albums/songs hierarchy.

24. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

Ok that sounds awesome man!! I think you have just sold me on it for the time being lol

25. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

My friend "we" may be in luck..see link below for a post regarding this. The app is called albums, I am have tried to out myself, but think I will download once I get home from work, it's only $2.99 so no risk no reward lol
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...atch-os-4-merged.2069287/page-4#post-25199129