The new ipad - is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aasaeedi, Apr 5, 2012.

1. aasaeedi macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have heard a lot about people having issues with their new ipad's screens.

I just noticed this today on my 3rd gen ipad. Has anybody else seen something similar?

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like the bleeding problem that some people have mentioned. On the screen itself, everything is just fine. But once you look from this angle (that photo was taken), you will see this white light coming from the edge. Its right under the front camera.

Should I be worried about this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. doboy macrumors 68000

Unless you intend to use your device from that angle I wouldn't worry about it, especially if there is no light bleeding onto the screen.

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

Well if you intend to use your iPad like that then maybe it's a problem.

4. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

You're holding it wrong.

No really, I'm serious.

5. aasaeedi thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have no problem with it right now. I noticed this after ten days of using my ipad.

I just wanted to ask some people with more knowledge and experience, to see if this can get worse in the future. specially because I didn't register for the extended apple care thing.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

You still get 1 year if you have any issues.

7. aasaeedi thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. Thanks for your help.

8. bubbaguuump macrumors newbie

I think the OP has a valid issue. It's not the typical light bleed but light leakage due to poor workmanship in putting the LCD together and should be replaced or exchanged - yes we all want perfect screens now but more so we want the best we can have cause that makes for better resale in the future. I have the light leakage it on mine but to a lesser degree. Also I've got the uneven color issue of white-blue on the left side and yellow on the right in portrait mode. You can see it clearly when you pull up the keyboard and then split it. The problem with returns or exchanges is you might get a worse one so best to - 1) Return it and wait a few months and try again or 2) Keep it and try to adjust.

9. Mikekan macrumors regular

I would exhange it and I am not picky at all.

10. mokeiko macrumors 6502

11. vajrakagyu macrumors member

vajrakagyu

I had the same issue - exposed led - and returned it immediately for a brand new replacement. For the 2nd time. This is the result of very poor workmanship. I would suggest that you return it and get a new one.

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The LED should not be exposed, I don't care whether or not it affects your usage. That's just shoddy workmanship.

13. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Unlike everyone on here, that's pretty common stuff to see with LCD screens...

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

If you are looking in the direction of the home button, that's noy a light bleeding, but some sort of adhesive material.

15. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I have had three replacements and all of them have had this issue on the top. I wonder just how many people have this issue.

Needless to say, the geniuses do not want to easily replace these iPads for this issue. I was told that all iPads have this issue in one way or anther.

Is this acceptable?

16. aasaeedi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

I bought this ipad from AT&T. In order to exchange it, are they going to charge me the 10% re-stocking fee? It has been lesst than 10 days since I picked the ipad up from the store.

17. vajrakagyu macrumors member

vajrakagyu

This is definitely not acceptable. This is a manufacturing flaw. Specks and dust could make their way under the glass. So, if you are under the DOA period exchange it now with a new one.
    Unlike many posts in the forum that like to suggest otherwise, flaws are flaws and no one should accept them. Working on the way to perfection is the fuel for evolution. And for the fan boys, “think different” doesn’t mean “neglect you rights as a consumer”.

18. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Just looked I have it bad yet I have a perfect colored screen, keeping mine.

19. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I have that too but never noticed it until I saw your post.

Screen is perfect, never use it at that angle so it doesn't bother me.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Great due to this post hundreds will be returning even more of their iPads for a problem that is a non issue. These forums are Apple's worst enemy!:mad:

22. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Take it to an Apple Store and see about getting a replacement there.

24. matttye macrumors 601

It's sad that you even noticed this, never mind care about it enough to post a thread.

You guys must have some really cushty lives to worry about this kind of bullcrap.

25. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

No, it's sad you feel the need to be mean to someone who just wanted advice!

A light leak like this can easily be seen, for example, when sitting at a desk with the iPad on the desk. If you are looking at it at around a 45 degree angle at a certain distance its very plain to see.
    OP, take it back and get another one, it should not be like this...2 of my iPad 2s had this problem and I got them exchanged with zero hassle whatsoever.