Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aasaeedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Hi guys,

I have heard a lot about people having issues with their new ipad's screens.

I just noticed this today on my 3rd gen ipad. Has anybody else seen something similar?

photo.jpg

It doesn't look like the bleeding problem that some people have mentioned. On the screen itself, everything is just fine. But once you look from this angle (that photo was taken), you will see this white light coming from the edge. Its right under the front camera.

Should I be worried about this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Unless you intend to use your device from that angle I wouldn't worry about it, especially if there is no light bleeding onto the screen.

aasaeedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
No, I have no problem with it right now. I noticed this after ten days of using my ipad.

I just wanted to ask some people with more knowledge and experience, to see if this can get worse in the future. specially because I didn't register for the extended apple care thing.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
No, I have no problem with it right now. I noticed this after ten days of using my ipad.

I just wanted to ask some people with more knowledge and experience, to see if this can get worse in the future. specially because I didn't register for the extended apple care thing.

You still get 1 year if you have any issues.

bubbaguuump

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
I think the OP has a valid issue. It's not the typical light bleed but light leakage due to poor workmanship in putting the LCD together and should be replaced or exchanged - yes we all want perfect screens now but more so we want the best we can have cause that makes for better resale in the future. I have the light leakage it on mine but to a lesser degree. Also I've got the uneven color issue of white-blue on the left side and yellow on the right in portrait mode. You can see it clearly when you pull up the keyboard and then split it. The problem with returns or exchanges is you might get a worse one so best to - 1) Return it and wait a few months and try again or 2) Keep it and try to adjust.

vajrakagyu

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Athens
I had the same issue - exposed led - and returned it immediately for a brand new replacement. For the 2nd time. This is the result of very poor workmanship. I would suggest that you return it and get a new one.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The LED should not be exposed, I don't care whether or not it affects your usage. That's just shoddy workmanship.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
If you are looking in the direction of the home button, that's noy a light bleeding, but some sort of adhesive material.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I have had three replacements and all of them have had this issue on the top. I wonder just how many people have this issue.

Needless to say, the geniuses do not want to easily replace these iPads for this issue. I was told that all iPads have this issue in one way or anther.

Is this acceptable?

aasaeedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for all the replies.

I bought this ipad from AT&T. In order to exchange it, are they going to charge me the 10% re-stocking fee? It has been lesst than 10 days since I picked the ipad up from the store.

vajrakagyu

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Athens
I have had three replacements and all of them have had this issue on the top. I wonder just how many people have this issue.

Needless to say, the geniuses do not want to easily replace these iPads for this issue. I was told that all iPads have this issue in one way or anther.

Is this acceptable?
This is definitely not acceptable. This is a manufacturing flaw. Specks and dust could make their way under the glass. So, if you are under the DOA period exchange it now with a new one.
Unlike many posts in the forum that like to suggest otherwise, flaws are flaws and no one should accept them. Working on the way to perfection is the fuel for evolution. And for the fan boys, “think different” doesn’t mean “neglect you rights as a consumer”.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Just looked I have it bad yet I have a perfect colored screen, keeping mine.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I have that too but never noticed it until I saw your post.

Screen is perfect, never use it at that angle so it doesn't bother me.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Great due to this post hundreds will be returning even more of their iPads for a problem that is a non issue. These forums are Apple's worst enemy!:mad:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I bought this ipad from AT&T. In order to exchange it, are they going to charge me the 10% re-stocking fee? It has been lesst than 10 days since I picked the ipad up from the store.

Take it to an Apple Store and see about getting a replacement there.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's sad that you even noticed this, never mind care about it enough to post a thread.

You guys must have some really cushty lives to worry about this kind of bullcrap.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
It's sad that you even noticed this, never mind care about it enough to post a thread.

You guys must have some really cushty lives to worry about this kind of bullcrap.

No, it's sad you feel the need to be mean to someone who just wanted advice!

A light leak like this can easily be seen, for example, when sitting at a desk with the iPad on the desk. If you are looking at it at around a 45 degree angle at a certain distance its very plain to see.
OP, take it back and get another one, it should not be like this...2 of my iPad 2s had this problem and I got them exchanged with zero hassle whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.