Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnort

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
It is now definitely going to happen soon. I just bought the refurbished 2011 w/6630m.

Knowing how karma works for me, It'll be released Jan 8th.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
I have lost patience waiting now, i have been waiting to make a new mac purchase since Aug

just pulled the trigger on a purchase- i can now be found in the iMac section

Im outa here :rolleyes:

PG

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
So if they release in March, wouldn't anyone who bought in late January and February return theirs? There's the logic flaw in your argument....

No because if Apple is trying to clear inventory, the number available and therefore sold will likely be diminished leading up to the refresh. Thus, fewer returns and less unsold stock versus a release now.

I think Apple is just holding off a few months to clear remaining stock before a refresh next year. But like everyone else, I have no insider information on Apple and guessing based on the supply chain of some Italian retailer is foolhardy.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
No because if Apple is trying to clear inventory, the number available and therefore sold will likely be diminished leading up to the refresh. Thus, fewer returns and less unsold stock versus a release now.

I think Apple is just holding off a few months to clear remaining stock before a refresh next year. But like everyone else, I have no insider information on Apple and guessing based on the supply chain of some Italian retailer is foolhardy.

amazon/usa and best buy/usa both out of stock means a new machine..

last I looked both have many minis in stock.

mtmac

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Apple likes to release multiple items at one time. The pro is a halo product that will drive people to the stores. I think we'll see both a 4k TB2 display, and a current resolution updated TB1 display both in iMac form factor, screen, and ports. A Mini update is overdue and likely we'll see a new one at the same time. A mini and TB1 displays would see a Christmas bump. It's a bit late for a Christmas release, but not too late. A non-retina MBP could be released at the same time, if they are going to continue that product, which would also benefit from Christmas sales. While MacPros and 4k displays won't see much of a Christmas bump, there are affluent people who buy extravagant gifts. Look at the Lexus advertising this time of year. There wouldn't be this much fanfare for a new MacPro, unless they had something else new that most people could actually afford. Halo products establish brand identity superiority, drive people to retail, and drive most sales to other modest choices.

Other than the cMBP, none of these are big sellers, but it's still a big enough market for Apple not to ignore, and they need to keep the products current in order to sell them. Apple has a lot of money, but they always want more.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Apple likes to release multiple items at one time. The pro is a halo product that will drive people to the stores. I think we'll see both a 4k TB2 display, and a current resolution updated TB1 display both in iMac form factor, screen, and ports. A Mini update is overdue and likely we'll see a new one at the same time.

It's a possibility, but more of a desperate hope rather than a certainty. 2 weeks until Christmas: they better hurry up if they want the mini to make a wave during the holidays.

The biggest question is--why has the mini been held back to presumably release with the nMP?

Are they afraid the mini would eat into the Pro? Never. Perhaps the mini would eat into the iMacs an notebooks released earlier? Perhaps. For a desktop, the mini is now becoming powerful enough to be a too-inexpensive alternative to the iMac. Even a small bump from last year would make it compete near evenly in benchmarks with the iMac. Perhaps they are waiting for a redesign? Doubt it. Not with the current processor upgrades available. They would wait for something internal to trigger the design.

Perhaps the wholesale price of the processors is going to decrease at some date in the next month or two and Apple updates their mini. I can't see a logical reason for the hold back. Perhaps it is an arbitrary decision.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Perhaps the wholesale price of the processors is going to decrease at some date in the next month or two and Apple updates their mini. I can't see a logical reason for the hold back. Perhaps it is an arbitrary decision.
I haven't looked at Intel's process plans, but are there soon to be released Haswell chips that might be suitable for the mini and be what Apple is waiting for?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I haven't looked at Intel's process plans, but are there soon to be released Haswell chips that might be suitable for the mini and be what Apple is waiting for?

I can't find anything pointing to current or near-future release dates for appropriate processors. Perhaps I haven't searched thoroughly enough.

The next step would come along in summer '14, if the predictive roadmaps I saw are accurate. It could be Q3 or even Q4, depending. There is an expected Haswell "refresh" at that time. Broadwell will come along later; Q4 is very optimistic, while H1 '15 is probable.

sandmanfvr

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
I am about to get a Mac Mini after Christmas and don't know what to buy. We are tired of windows and replacing aging Dell and we want to go Mac (I have had macs in the past so we know we liked them just kept Dell as it was a good system now going down). The i5 is ok, and great price at $599 but I do some audio editing and picture editing, which will be plenty for that but sometimes, rarely, I might do video editing. I know video editing is mainly cpu centric and that i7 quad core will be good, but I would hate to buy $799 quad now (which would be good for like 4 or 5 years for me and upgrade ram to, we don't' use this that hard but I do some editing on it here and there) and then a new one comes out. I wish Apple would just keep up with the refreshes but oh well, I guess in like late January or beginning February if no work I will do a quad i7. :cool:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Mobile Broadwell minimally slid to Q1 2014.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/broadwell-haswell-delay-intel-defect-density,24693.html

[ There is a bigger slide for the desktop socket (non-BGA) versions of "Haswell Refresh" and even bigger slide to socket Broadwell products. That doesn't mean mobile is sliding with them though. Desktop isn't the bulk of the market, so not a major driver at this point. ]

----------

The next step would come along in summer '14, if the predictive roadmaps I saw are accurate. It could be Q3 or even Q4, depending. There is an expected Haswell "refresh" at that time. Broadwell will come along later; Q4 is very optimistic, while H1 '15 is probable.

Is Intel doing "Haswell refresh" for mobile? Most of the leaked roadmaps about the gap filling "refresh" are about desktop or minimally all-in-one targeted products.

The CEO said
"CEO Brian Krzanich said that the company will begin production on Broadwell in the first quarter of 2014 instead of the final quarter of 2013. He said the delay is caused by a "defect density issue" that impacts the number of usable chips, or yields. ... "

Broadwell something is going into production in Q1 2014. Given the process shrink is going to help battery life and other mobile aspects more it is probably going to be mobile oriented as to what starts off first coming off the production line.

Florals

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
When the new iMac came out I was determined to buy one, but I've now come to the saddening conclusion that it's not worth having to declare myself bankrupt over. So, I've decided to scale down the budget a bit and go for a Mac Mini; my main desktop is currently 2006 mini, so I really do need something new.

I am *so* hoping they sneakily update the Mac Mini alongside the Mac Pro, I'm getting kind of bored of Snow Leopard....

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Can't really see what the fuss is about

It could even be today…… for what that's worth.

Sweet Fanny Adams to me…..

My early 2009 Mini, with just a little extra RAM, will soldier on for a while longer. I reckon a new machine may have slightly better specs, but day to day, for most folks it will do much the same job.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Is Intel doing "Haswell refresh" for mobile? Most of the leaked roadmaps about the gap filling "refresh" are about desktop or minimally all-in-one targeted products.

The CEO said
"CEO Brian Krzanich said that the company will begin production on Broadwell in the first quarter of 2014 instead of the final quarter of 2013. He said the delay is caused by a "defect density issue" that impacts the number of usable chips, or yields. ... "

Broadwell something is going into production in Q1 2014.

I'm going off of this news source, primarily…

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intels-broadwell-k-launching-end-2014-according-new-roadmap/60966.html

It's difficult for me to weave through the news, rumors, fake reports, and speculations on what Intel plans to do in 2014, at this time. If you found Broadwell information pointing to Q1 '14 and it turns out to be true, that would be excellent news for a possible mini update. Broadwell has been developed and demonstrated, so it just needs to be put into production and market; that could happen ASAP, but depends on the myriad complications of production and business.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Maybe the Mac Mini will come out the same time as the Mac (mini) Pro. When people realize they can't afford the Mac (mini) Pro or that the dual GPU is not going to do them much good for now, they can fall back on to the Mac Mini. (being playfully sarcastic here)

Couldn't agree more because the Mac Mini is right at the top when it comes to desktop graphics performance. NOT!

GabrieleR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Torino, Italy
Clearly i was wrong, i'm very sorry for that.

In Italy all the Apple wholesalers are completely out of stock, and retailers like my us have not received new shipments for two weeks, so we won't have any minis to sell during holiday season, which never happened to an Apple product before (which wasn't a newly introduced).

The only place to buy a Mac mini is the online Applestore, but in Italy retailers can't buy directly from there.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Apple effectively killing off 2.5" hard drives with Haswell and Mac sales declining for four consecutive quarters are pretty clear indications to me that the Mini isn't getting updated without a redesign.

IMO, it's long overdue. I doubt we'll see a Badass Mini with an i7-4770 and GTX 760 for $1200, but it's overdue.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I'm going off of this news source, primarily…

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intels-broadwell-k-launching-end-2014-according-new-roadmap/60966.html

It's difficult for me to weave through the news, rumors, fake reports, and speculations on what Intel plans to do in 2014, at this time. If you found Broadwell information pointing to Q1 '14 and it turns out to be true, that would be excellent news for a possible mini update. Broadwell has been developed and demonstrated, so it just needs to be put into production and market; that could happen ASAP, but depends on the myriad complications of production and business.

Probably late 2014 early 2015 for Broadwell and another refresh for haswell. Since the last pep talk by the boss at Apple lips have tightened on product releases.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Clearly i was wrong, i'm very sorry for that.

In Italy all the Apple wholesalers are completely out of stock, and retailers like my us have not received new shipments for two weeks, so we won't have any minis to sell during holiday season, which never happened to an Apple product before (which wasn't a newly introduced).

The only place to buy a Mac mini is the online Applestore, but in Italy retailers can't buy directly from there.
Well, no one who has been following Apple for a couple of years really expected a refreshed Mac mini today.

Apple typically does not release new hardware on a Wednesday. More importantly, Apple historically does not announce new products in late November/December. They go into the holiday sales season with their product lines solidified.

I know some naysayers will screech "What about the Mac Pro!?!" but that's a high-end niche $3000 product that isn't driven by holiday sales. Plus, Apple had previously mentioned that they hoped to ship in late 2013, so it's not really a surprise.

If Apple had wanted to stick Haswell in the current chassis, they could have done so months ago. Because Apple did not shove Haswell into the current chassis even though it had the opportunity, it is likely that there is some sort of redesign in the making.

Not having Mac minis to sell is definitely a disappointment to you, however Mac minis are not a big part of Apple's revenue stream. While Apple does not break out sales of every product, we do know that Apple sells far more notebooks than desktops, and that iMac is the big desktop seller, not Mac mini.

Anyhow, happy holidays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.