Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matintosh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Man, you really ought to check out Linux then. Run it on a standard, inexpensive tower PC. Plug your own monitors into it, using whatever graphics card you prefer. You can Gimp photos, use something like VLC for all your streaming media, play with some of the best and most powerful coding environments available, and of course run many of the latest AAA games using Steam...
I do, I run Mint and SteamOS - 3d performance isn't quite there yet but it is definately improving. I have big hopes for Vulkan bringing the AAA titles to Linux.

I don't like having 2 computers tho' and if I could run XCode on Linux then I would probably sell the Mini. Although, I do like good old dependable macOS and for many reasons it's the best OS out there - I'm not sure I could ditch it completely.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

Sorrel

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
UK
I think the APFS makes a new Mini much less likely to ever arrive. The lack of support for Fusion drives in 10.13 makes clear that these kind of drives are not the priority for Apple - even though APFS ought to do Fusion drives in a much simpler way than via Core Storage.

I can't see Apple (re)launching a computer with fusion drives until this is sorted out. And the Mini will need Fusion drives to be affordable and useful for most people. Therefore I can't see a Mini being updated at all in the near future - except if it were to be SSD only. And that would negate the price incentive to buy a Mini.

Maybe if Apple do sort out the Fusion drive APFS issue, then Minis might be re-launched. But not before.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Most of the "fat thumbed" crowd (that wouldn't want to do upgrades themselves) would opt for the iMac. With Apple bringing out a new Mac Pro, we're going to see new keyboards and displays. Both of which could enjoy significant sales paired with a new mini. So SSD-only is just fine.
As the mini PC market only continues to grow: https://www.contextworld.com/context-mini-pc-s-remain-the-bright-spot-19-apr-2017
Apple would need to be pretty hearing impaired indeed to not have heard the torrent of complaints of the 2014 mini's user unfriendliness.
And the PC market is still significant enough for Apple to care:https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS42214417

Those that are hiding their mini's away (out of sight) won't care whether to open the case or connect a few TB3 drives.
Those wanting to keep it clean, install a larger drive internally in addition to the SSD for the OS & other system files.

Give me my HDMI 2.1 port and a GPU that can at least do 8k/30Hz / 4k/60Hz (though 120 would be nice) :)
And black...

The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming...

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Most of the "fat thumbed" crowd (that wouldn't want to do upgrades themselves) would opt for the iMac. With Apple bringing out a new Mac Pro, we're going to see new keyboards and displays. Both of which could enjoy significant sales paired with a new mini. So SSD-only is just fine.
As the mini PC market only continues to grow: https://www.contextworld.com/context-mini-pc-s-remain-the-bright-spot-19-apr-2017
Apple would need to be pretty hearing impaired indeed to not have heard the torrent of complaints of the 2014 mini's user unfriendliness.
And the PC market is still significant enough for Apple to care:https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS42214417

Those that are hiding their mini's away (out of sight) won't care whether to open the case or connect a few TB3 drives.
Those wanting to keep it clean, install a larger drive internally in addition to the SSD for the OS & other system files.

Give me my HDMI 2.1 port and a GPU that can at least do 8k/30Hz / 4k/60Hz (though 120 would be nice) :)
And black...

The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming...
while imac dont have hdmi

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Could be the NeXTSTEP.
Heh...even funnier. Could there actually be enough hate to give QNX / BlackBerry OS a new lease on life? (someone would need to put a better UI on it, but the internals are there).
And you sure as hell wouldn't call it BlackBerry. :)

But, we're off topic...best not to go down that rabbit hole in this forum.

Reactions: Cape Dave

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Huh? Why would it? (except maybe their *cough* "pro" *cough* version - for multiple display support). But they could do that with their TB3 ports.

And what does that have to do with what I wrote?
Give me my HDMI 2.1 port

i connect my imac to external monitor via usb 3/thunderbolt . My old mac mini late 2014 if connect to tv for sure distort need real monitor also.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
i connect my imac to external monitor via usb 3/thunderbolt . My old mac mini late 2014 if connect to tv for sure distort need real monitor also.
TB3 will likely stay in the computer arena. With HDMI 2.1 being ratified, that's where your TV's are going. The Mini would have both (as it does today). You could make the argument for multiple HDMI ports, but it could be some time before people are running multiple 8k displays....I'm thinking for most PC users 4k is fine. The HTPC market, you want the 2.1 support for higher 4k refresh rates.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
No, because "new" is not relative to the design or age of the components, but whether the physical product has been previously sold and remarked or not. So a Mac Mini assembled three days (or three years) ago is "new" if it's being offered for sale for the first time.

Ah cool. I have a "new" Amiga 500 for sale if anyone interested.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think the APFS makes a new Mini much less likely to ever arrive. The lack of support for Fusion drives in 10.13 makes clear that these kind of drives are not the priority for Apple - even though APFS ought to do Fusion drives in a much simpler way than via Core Storage.

Apple have confirmed APFS will be supported on Fusion Drives in future updates to High Sierra. APFS on Fusion Drives were supported under the High Sierra Betas so I am guessing there were edge cases where the conversion failed and corrupted / deleted data so Apple disabled it for initial release to prevent end user data loss until they are confident those issues are resolved.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Apple has become a who cares company for me. I moved away from apple once the 2014 min's came out.
I mostly mine coins on linux builds and windows builds. I have 31 pc's and while I still prefer my mac mini's the hand writing is on the wall. I will push myself into linux more and more.
the iPhone 999.99 please

Reactions: Crosscreek

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The new Mac mini came already, about a year after this thread started. Now everyone is waiting for the second coming of Mac mini.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The new Mac mini came already, about a year after this thread started. Now everyone is waiting for the second coming of Mac mini.

Not everyone. My last Mini was the 2010 model, and after it started having serious hardware issues earlier this year, I've migrated completely to Linux.

Apple simply is not competitive in desktop computing any more.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Not everyone. My last Mini was the 2010 model, and after it started having serious hardware issues earlier this year, I've migrated completely to Linux.

Apple simply is not competitive in desktop computing any more.
You listen to me .. "Big Corp" We knew what our customer need.

Ubuntu quite good this day.. Old days, fedora and suse...

At least i can configure services,daemon via gui or command line.. like windows services.. The most important.. I don't need photo, freakin chess game.

Reactions: AleRod

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I do take a lot of photos which is why it is hard to give the mini's up.

a 2011 with a gpu
a 2012 with discrete
a 2014 bare bones with an external thunderbolt boot drive.
a real shame what they did with desk top basically killing the mini and the mac pro to make you buy the iMac.
the iMac died and they killed the mac mini and mac pro to bring the iMac back to life.
But at 999 an iPhone what do they care.

they could have a mini with 32gb and an i7 7700t cpu a 2tb ssd along with a 2tb m2sata.

I have a lenevo m700 tiny . it has 32gb ram diy and 1tb ssd

sleconte

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
Thailand
You listen to me .. "Big Corp" We knew what our customer need.

Ubuntu quite good this day.. Old days, fedora and suse...

At least i can configure services,daemon via gui or command line.. like windows services.. The most important.. I don't need photo, freakin chess game.

I don't really ask people if what I do is ok - tech support wise.
I just ask them in vague terms what they want done. This or that working.
Generally they go from from older to Windows 10.
Apple? hahahaha when in 2016-2017 did you matter to me.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I don't really ask people if what I do is ok - tech support wise.
I just ask them in vague terms what they want done. This or that working.
Generally they go from from older to Windows 10.
Apple? hahahaha when in 2016-2017 did you matter to me.
if not job , i prefer 1 grand laptop windows instead of mac..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.