Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
As I think back on this topic, there have definitely been some mood swings. In the beginning there was a lot of excitement and positive anticipation. People were pretty happy with the 2012 mini and expected the new one, which was almost certainly coming, to be even better. Then, for quite a while, it didn't come, and pessimism crept in. Then the 2014 mini was announced, and the mood tended toward rage, and has stayed negative overall since then, with good reason as the next mac mini, which is almost certainly coming, but not until sometime in 2018, and probably not early 2018 either. Three years with no update to the generally panned 2014 mini and going on four years, it isn't too hard to see why people have run out of patience. That's my overall recollection, feel free to correct me if you don't remember things this way.

Was fortunate to be able to replace my 2011 MacBook Pro with a 2012 Mac Mini for very little money (all into 16 gb of RAM and an SSD, the mini itself was a gift), and I'm really happy with it. I can afford to keep using it until the next new mac mini, or whatever takes it's place, comes out in 2018. I will be curious to see what it is, and to decide if it makes sense for me.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I can afford to keep using it until the next new mac mini, or whatever takes it's place, comes out in 2018. I will be curious to see what it is, and to decide if it makes sense for me.
You can pretty much guarantee a few things with the 2018 Mini. It'll plunge us all into depression when we see the specs and 2014 Minis will become the new gold standard as their price goes shooting through the roof.

Apple likes to punish us but we take it.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Tim's comments in that email were:

• Apple loves Mac mini
• Apple plans to have Mac mini be an important part of their product line going forward.

Basically those two comments do not bode well for the mini because:

• Apple already loves the mini right where it is
• Apple already deems the mini as an important part of their product line right now.

The new Mac mini will remain the turd it's intended to be. For all intents & purposes, the Mac mini is dead. It may remain available to buy. But .... yuck
For many imperious cynics who vent their spleen here, Apple may not produce the Mac Mini that ya'll lust after for whatever reason, thus it is a turd from your point of view. But does that make it dead as a product?

Nope. For many simple folk such as myself, a basic Mac Mini is all the computer we need. Apple execs have indicated that it remains an important part of their lineup, with potential for consumer and professional application, thus a new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming. The Mac Mini is very much alive.

Reactions: Trusteft

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
For many imperious cynics who vent their spleen here, Apple may not produce the Mac Mini that ya'll lust after for whatever reason, thus it is a turd from your point of view. But does that make it dead as a product?

I enjoy flowery verbose as this but the Mini is in a lonely place............ giphy-downsized.gif

Last edited:

leo-tech

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
A question for Mac mini experts and amateurs alike: in a sane world, where computer companies are actually interested in making their customers happy by designing and offering them what they need, where Mac mini development, manufacturing and sales continued unmolested, including update cycles—at present time, what normal, modern Mac mini 2017 specs and main features might look like?

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
A question for Mac mini experts and amateurs alike: in a sane world, where computer companies are actually interested in making their customers happy by designing and offering them what they need, where Mac mini development, manufacturing and sales continued unmolested, including update cycles—at present time, what normal, modern Mac mini 2017 specs and main features might look like?
The 2014 refresh was a downgrade from 2012 so you should expect not to much and nothing to cannibalize any of the other product line.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

leo-tech

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
The 2014 refresh was a downgrade from 2012 so you should expect not to much and nothing to cannibalize any of the other product line.
I keep hearing about this "cannibalization of other product lines" ad nauseam, but any product is supposed to serve its own market niche or customer group, so in reality this so called "cannibalization" means intentional artificial distortion of existing market realities on the side of Apple, a typical monopolist-abuser, by limiting customer choices, rather than serving them products they really need.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I keep hearing about this "cannibalization of other product lines" ad nauseam, but any product is supposed to serve its own market niche or customer group, so in reality this so called "cannibalization" means intentional artificial distortion of existing market realities on the side of Apple, a typical monopolist-abuser, by limiting customer choices, rather than serving them products they really need.
LOL
That was rich. Now Apple has a monopoly on the desktop PC world.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
FYI: Apple has a monopoly on Macintosh hardware and macOS.
The same way Lancia has a monopoly on Lancia cars. What's your point? They dare to do as they please with their own product lines because they have a monopoly on their own brands? Are you trolling or just out of touch with reality?

leo-tech

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
The same way Lancia has a monopoly on Lancia cars. What's your point? They dare to do as they please with their own product lines because they have a monopoly on their own brands? Are you trolling or just out of touch with reality?
According to your logic, "Apple dare to do as they please with their own product lines"—which is exactly what I was talking about (as certain instances of Apple's "dare as they please" are indistinguishable from typical monopolist-abuser practices). For some reason, we do not hear much about Intel or AMD or Gigabyte in a similar fashion opting "not to cannibalize their other product lines".

Last edited:
Reactions: AleRod

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
According to your logic, "Apple dare to do as they please with their own product lines"—which is exactly what I was talking about (as certain instances of Apple's "dare as they please" are indistinguishable from typical monopolist-abuser practices). For some reason, we do not hear much about Intel or AMD or Gigabyte opting not to cannibalize their other product lines.
Oh man, I am not going to waste my time with you.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Speaking only for myself, upgradable RAM at the very least. But I'd love a decent dGPU*, SSD standard, a variety of ports. *Or the option of hooking up an eGPU via Thunderbolt. If Apple wanted to, they could create a powerful Mini, and not leech into iMacs.

Some folks had the great idea of the Mini being the base or prosumer version of the Mac Pro.

Realistically though, I bet everything will be soldered. Me, I would like a capable Mac for less than $2k that I can hook up to my aging 2013 27" iMac here. I'll use Windows for the job, but I will leave it at work.

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
When Apple did include a descrete GPU in the Mac Mini, they put in an artificially low amount of VRAM, compared to any other offering of the same gpu, anywhere else. As soon as Apple could release an iGPU, they never looked back.

If those are not signs of artificially downgrading capabilities, compared to other Mac offerings, I don’t know what else is.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Tim Cook says more or less that a new mac mini is coming, people still complain.

Vaporware doesn't garner much support from fans, especially after the way Apple has treated the Mini over the last five years.

I remember having my first ST for 5 years before upgrading to a MEGA STE and we are talking about minimal upgrade at a time when there were huge advancements in computing.

Ah, I still have both a 1040ST and a Mega ST sitting in my attic. Great machines. But there's no point waiting for an upgrade to those guys, is there? At some point, you simply have to face facts and move on...

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Vaporware doesn't garner much support from fans, especially after the way Apple has treated the Mini over the last five years.

Ah, I still have both a 1040ST and a Mega ST sitting in my attic. Great machines. But there's no point waiting for an upgrade to those guys, is there? At some point, you simply have to face facts and move on...
wtf are you talking about?

Tim Cook said there are going to be more Mac Mini models.
If you or anyone wants to just moan about it, go for it. I am out of this thread till there are more news on this. Knock yourself out if that's what you want.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

If you or anyone wants to just moan about it, go for it. I am out of this thread till there are more news on this. Knock yourself out if that's what you want.

I'm talking about having both of my minis (a 2007 and a 2010 model) develop hardware issues earlier this year. Looking at the available options, and seeing that the best replacements for them would still be using five year old hardware. Looking at non-Apple desktop computers, and realizing that the rest of the world has passed Apple by.

Apple's desktop offerings today are inferior to the competition. I can't say it any more plainly than that.

Last edited:

Sam Luis Obispo

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2006
So... the new Mac Mini will be running an A11x ARM processor (or whatever name they cook up)? Would it make more sense to trial that in the Mac Mini before releasing it for a MacBook?

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A

link? All I read was lip service to a technologically ancient product still being sold(see iPod touch, iPad mini), with no promise of a new version coming out.
Bye

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.