The new side dock in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Burstl, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Burstl macrumors newbie

Burstl

I think the new dock style when placing the dock on the left is hideous. I think the design as it is in 10.8 is perfect. Do you think it will be possible to customize this style back to the 10.8 design. I hate it that there always have to be stupid improvements and one has to hope nothing good will be changed to something bad. Also I think the contacts design and notes design was much better in 10.8. The overall design changes are very inconsistent.

2. oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

Unfortunately, they can't satisfy everyone...

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The notes design looks unfinished to me. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Notes and Contacts lost its skeuomorphism. That is (thankfully) going away for good.

I'm sure someone will make a patch to bring back the old dock in due time.

4. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

I think the look of the dock depends highly in the kind of background image you use. if it's light, the new dock rocks, if it's dark, it sucks... Now i have a nearly white desktop background, so it looks awesome the new dock.

BUT

The only thing i don't like is the new app indicator, before was just a nice white point. And now is a white line, but over a light backgroung, quite ackward...

5. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

6. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

The new dock is just the bottom dock "flattened" out - that's why the indicators look like they do, they are the same.

I doubt it will change back to the old style; in fact I highly suspect that the bottom dock will change to look like the side dock before 10.9 is released.

Also, the side dock is now drawn by code meaning there are no images to edit - so I don't know how you'd get the black look back. For me this is good, I always preferred the Tiger-style dock to the later versions and this is pretty darn close.

And if you think about it the black side-style dock from 10.5 onward was kind of out of place as it didn't look like anything else in OS X... (except the dock contextual menus I guess, but I don't know why they are different than the rest of the system anyway...)

Just my 2¢

7. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

this is the new side dock in my MBP

Attached Files:

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Looks nice IMO.

9. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

looks nice with my current white desktop background, with a black one looks bad.

The main problem is the new open app indicator, that is uglier, and doesn't work with a white dock, as it doesn't pop up... I would make it a black dot.

10. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Donno, kind of like this look.

11. UnalignedByte macrumors newbie

They did basically the same thing as in iOS 7, replaced simple transparency with sort of glass blur transparency.

It's not a bad idea but the way it looks depends heavily on what you have behind it. In my case it looks like an ugly, gray, rounded rect most of the time. I wish Apple finally put some looks customization options into OS X.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the look of this. It looks like apple is being consistent now as the dock on the side or the bottom are the same color.

13. nyolc8 macrumors regular

I think the UI will change... Just look how the new light helvetica font used some random places in the OS... (on the login screen and in some installer package window) they just don't matching to the rest of the OS... (And about the empty grey background for mission control and notification center, and the launchpad folders design: yuck). The new iBooks app and the new maps app have flat icons without any shine on it, so they not match to the rest of the OS. So the whole 10.9 UI looks unfinished for me. And just think about it... the OSX Mavericks logo design looks like iOS7 logo... And I think a logo should represent the product itself... and now the mavericks logo doesn't represents the OS... it's just don't match to the OS.
    So I think the UI will change until the final 10.9... (And I hope)

14. vindictum macrumors member

vindictum

I don't remember how it used to look in 10.8
    Can someone share a pic, please?

15. nyolc8 macrumors regular

16. vindictum macrumors member

vindictum

Thanks. I definitely prefer the one we have on mavericks, though a tiny bit more transparency wouldn't hurt, I think...

17. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Control would be better than either. Easily use a cocoa color wheel to tint and tweak transparency to anyones preference. But that probably will not happen. We can't be trusted even though Apple steals a ton from the mod community they give little back. Just roadblocks.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I definitely prefer Mavericks' dock. The old dark one always bugged me.

19. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Once Mavericks is out, I will have a look at the dock. I don't normally use the side dock. But it's mostly hidden so either way I don't think it would phase me too much.

You'll get used to it. As with everything in life..

For example..

Audi released the new A3 a few months ago and at first I thought - defug where the designers thinking - the old model looks better!

But fast forward a few months after seeing the car every day on the road - I'm warming up to it and I actually like it..

We humans are fickel when it comes to change.. we want it, but rarely accept it when it happens right away.

iOS7 is a primary example. I bet come this fall - all the guys complaining how crap it looks will have it on their phones and love it.. Rinse and repeat for next year with iOS8..

20. keithOrbit macrumors member

i liver 2D dock.. but it not work:defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -bool true

21. vindictum macrumors member

vindictum

Well said. It took me a couple of days to get used to iOS7... now I love it.

22. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

They need to bring the dislike button back. F this polite bubble BS that we live in.

23. MutantR macrumors member

?

Why? What was wrong with skeuomorphism?

24. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Beyond aesthetics, which is entirely subjective, skeudomorphic designs are often unnecessarily limiting because they artificially enforce a real-world object onto a computer interface. A good example of this is month progression in Calendar.

I will say though that the Notes, while nicely minimalistic, is still really ugly, just in a completely different way. Almost like it's unfinished.