Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
This phone looks incredible... not even because of the cameras, but unmodified Android on Nokia hardware? In display fingerprint? I just might have to try this one. So far nothing has kept me from going back to my X though for iOS alone
Just because of the photo?
[doublepost=1546490353][/doublepost]
Soon as Android loses the awful material design flat aesthetic and veers towards a more intuitive less-flat UIx, it'll be a real jump-shipper contender for me too.
And the huge advantage of Google reading all your emails and tracking you everywhere and the very secure App Store. All great features, true...

novakk86

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2018
Ok, I'm sure there is a perfectly good use for that many lenses, but this is getting ridiculous.
This could be amazing if executed right. You could have (35mm/ff equivalents) 20mm for landscape/astro, 35mm for street photography, 50/85 for portraits and a macro.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Good luck to those with trypophobia. This image may make some uncomfortable. Surprisingly, it doesn’t bother me when it should.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Gorgeous, like the old good Nokia on its good times, the new Nokia should be again amongst the best.

Sadly, they keep making huge smartphones, like 90% of the Android market.

The 7.1 is quite nice in size actually. Not huge at all.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Design or Function? Function wins everytime. If Design compliments Function a nice bonus. The results will define which it is.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
interesting, glad someone is innovating. Will have to see how useful it is. I'm not a believe this is a game changer though. Sounds like a gimmick.

Nokia phones were full of crappy software that was more gimmick than functional. So will refrain judgement. But I LIKE the competition. Android is dominating the world, too bad Apple sales are tanking. But when you have horrible leaders like Tim Cook with no vision, that's what happens!

JohnnyApple$eed

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2015
Exactly what the world needs so everyone can take photos that they will never print but upload to Instagram with a 1080px in width by 1350px max resolution. What's the point of all this camera BS when nearly no one uses the camera for what they are actually built to do. How many folks are printing large framed images for their home? Not many, but I am and the iPhone 5 did this just fine.

Reactions: jeremiah256

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Slightly triggering my trypophobia, but interesting concept. It does look ridiculous, but would love to see how it works in action.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This phone looks incredible... not even because of the cameras, but unmodified Android on Nokia hardware? In display fingerprint? I just might have to try this one. So far nothing has kept me from going back to my X though for iOS alone
Although Nokia embracing Android One is a good thing, the camera part is purely custom, just like what Xiaomi did for their Android One phones. Google has a different vision for Android stock camera app, ie put functions via software AI. Google's stock camera app doesn't even support dual camera setup (see Pixel phones).

It will only a matter of time that Android One will become "fragmented" on its own. :(
[doublepost=1546497773][/doublepost]
These additional lens are geting out of hand and this is what happens when the phones are thin. I think it would be better to come up with a quality lens and sensor...
Larger sensor takes a lot of space, and most of the benefits of larger sensor (shallow depth of field, less noise, better low light) have been taken care off by software (see Google Pixel, Apple's own ISP and portrait mode, Huawei night mode, etc).
Physically zooming lens didn't work. Samsung (and I think Asus) have tried it, but those phones bombed. Nobody wants a clunky phone. So the solution some OEMs are doing is with multiple cameras with multiple focal lengths. We will see where the sweet spot is. Apple is baking on regular and telephoto lens. LG is betting on regular and wide angle lens. Samsung is trying everything with 4 cameras. And Nokia wants to trump them all. It's good though that these companies are willing to try and see what will work.

Reactions: 5105973

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
The first step to acceptance is to first deny its usefulness (until Apple has an equivalent). Apple will eventually add a wide-angle front camera and a wide-angle rear camera.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Nokia still exists?! 2019 is already super funny lol

Didn’t even know they were still around.

When Microsoft took over Nokia's smartphone manufacturing business and wrote it off, veteran Nokia and Microsoft employees created a company in Finland (called HMD Global) with the aim of licensing the brand, acquiring Nokia and Microsoft's mobile-related patents and trademarks, and designing devices in-house. Because they lack the capacity to manufacture the phones themselves, they tasked Foxconn to do the job. So far, they're doing great especially in Europe.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
That’s just stupid! Desperation to get the highest DXO Mark score......

The XR and Pixel line have shown what is capable with clever software and hardware and SINGLE lens cameras and you don’t need to made a wired monstrosity with 5! To take decent photos and videos!

freezelighter

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Thun, Switzerland
Well...
v1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.