The Next Nokia Smartphone Will Feature Unique 5-Camera Setup

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2019.

1. MogwaiX macrumors newbie

Ok, then. :D

Apple products are still way too expensive for what they are.
    I guess Jobs dieing did real bad for the company. It's going back to the niche, and fast. That is sad.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2019 ---
    Just walk 200 meters from HMD offices, and you'll be in a Nokia Office. Hinthint.

2. redgreenski macrumors regular

3. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

is a silly, made up fad... it's not a medically recognised phobia, and the reason so many people say 'they have it' is because the examples given online are deliberately made to be as disgusting as possible (lotus boob for example). If you don't look at something innocuous like a cluster of bubbles floating on top of a coffee and feel a deep sense of unease, then you don't even have it by the medically dubious definition that does exist...

4. dazzer21-2 macrumors regular

I've thought of another line of Apple product. The iCamera. With built-in smartphone functionality. It'll sell millions!

5. AppleFan78 macrumors member

5G may be coming, but the video showed 4G. Not with this phone.

6. rubecube macrumors newbie

rubecube

7. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

[​IMG]

I hope that I'm not the only one who immediately thought of these things from the Matrix movies when they saw all the cameras in the back?

8. AppleFan78 macrumors member

Aaaannndddd... still a crappy Snapdragon 845, and “only” 4G.

Unless there has been some sort of big advancement with in-display fingerprint sensors, they’re not ready for prime time.

9. brofkand macrumors 6502

Never seen that one, they had some really nice cameras in their older Windows Mobile and Symbian devices though.

10. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

The additional cameras and lens adds up cost as well as space. If there was an option, I would choose a single lens, however, I would only choose to use my DSLR for important pictures. I know quality lens and larger sensors are what makes great pictures and I agree that with the physical size of the phone nearly make it impossible to compare to DSLR. For the average person, the added camera/lens and image software works best for them.

11. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

All I ask for is holograms coming out of device and this is what I get

12. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

I have the Nokia 5 as a work phone and the finger print reader on that is incredibly quick; quicker than Touch ID I'd say.

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

One lens is enough for me then.

14. MogwaiX macrumors newbie

What I meant was that main-Nokia is not interested in phones per se. It is a aiming to be a networking giant and having a large patent portfolia. HMD is basically Nokias phone-arm, but without the danger of loss - Everything HMD does is +++ for Nokia.

A smart move.

15. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

16. nt5672 macrumors 68000

At some point the world will have been photographed. Then people are going to be asking what happened to my smart phone? By then we better have the ability to record smells or smart phones will be so "last year."

17. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Using the name Pureview is ballsy, so HMD is going to have some big shoes to fill with this phone (which likely won't make it out of Asia, as usual). Looks to be 5 sensors, a dual-LED flash, and I assume laser autofocus (i prefer focus pixels; they're faster).

However, competition is good. Anything that can defeat the (false) claim that the Pixel phones have the best Android cameras is good in my book.

As for Apple, I just want them to use the same, big, fast, big-pixeled, OIS'd sensor they use in the main shooter, in the additional shooter(s).

A 3x zoom using the same as the main sensor would be awesome.

18. KevinN206 macrumors regular

This is more about light than resolution. Instead of having a single large lens that will need to protrude, you make many smaller lenses and combine their light and computationally process a single photo from the multiple lenses.

19. MogwaiX macrumors newbie

Most (all?) Nokia phones are out in Europe. Apparently HMD starts focusing on the USA this year.

20. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Close enough. They're on the same continent at least.

While the Samsung clone design language ain't bad, I miss the polycarbonate unibodies of Nokia of old.

21. timidpimpin macrumors regular

Nokia make the most durable phones. Always have, and still do. Their 2017-2018 phones did the best in all durability tests. Nokia... phones for clumsy people.

Android 7 and up is so much better than it used to me. I have been a Mac user since the 90's, but when it comes to smart phones I have always used Android. It sucked early only, but versions 5 and 6 made things much better, and 7+ is just as smooth and reliable as iOS. My Motorola has Android 8, and I want for nothing.

22. masnick macrumors newbie

"The video depicts a Nokia device with seven rear circles, dedicated to five ZEISS cameras, a flash, and other sensors."

first thing I thought of:

legacy tv camera.jpg

23. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Your’e looking at the wrong two edges
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2019 ---
    Less room to hold it. All I get is pictures of my fingers, what gives?

24. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It does look pretty darn good, now remove the Nokia/Zeiss names and it's a winner.

I prefer an Icon instead of brand names on devices, for instance Blackberry, some brands/models
    for instance LG on some of their TV sets have tiny logos, better than a huge Samsung on the
    front of a TV.

25. raghu8912 macrumors regular

This reminds me of AMD/Intel processor wars, more cores, higher GHz wars, they finally lost sight of processors for mobile devices, by the time they realized that people need processors with lower power consumption it was too late & ARM kicked X86 in the ass.
    Google is smart they are real innovators in Mobile Camera space.