The Next Nokia Smartphone Will Feature Unique 5-Camera Setup

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2019.

1. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Despite the thread title, there is only one camera which happens to have five lenses.

Any old school SLR user will tell you that five lenses with varying focal lengths is about the minimum reasonable kit for a photographer facing various situations from action to portraits to landscapes.

Given the additional restriction of miniscule lens size on smartphone cameras, multiple lenses are an astute engineering design decision.

2. TommyBoyAZ, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

TommyBoyAZ macrumors newbie

TommyBoyAZ

Nokia Why stop at 5 cameras? Hell, lets just make a camera array on the whole backside of the phone?
    Maybe by the time the iPhone XXs Edition Pro Plus is released Apple will adopt a 10 camera design and then what?

This is stupid. All these tech companies are like children bragging about their crap "We'll mines got this and ah that and ah can do this....ooh ooh and ah..." seriously... where is this fine line between innovation and absurdity?

Im all for being competitive but i just see this as being a miss before it even gets started.

Despite my view and how super silly this sounds, I am curious to see how this will look and work at the same time.

3. jecowa macrumors regular

The camera in the iPhone XS are estimated to cost 50$. Spending enough to put 6 cameras on a phone seems kind of silly. If users need more image quality, they might be better served with a dedicated camera. The two cameras on the back of the iPhone was more than enough as it is. I rarely use the zoom camera.

4. TommyBoyAZ macrumors newbie

TommyBoyAZ

I Could not agree more..

5. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Wando64

Yes. And same as camera resolution, or screen definition.
    A ridiculous journey towards nonsense.

6. pete2106 Suspended

pete2106

All of them. That's the challenge.

7. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

This phone looks great and will definitely consider it for my next Android phone!! However I do carry my DSLR around whenever I want to (or think I may want to) take photos, and I hardly ever take photos with my phone unless it’s a quick thing that doesn’t need to look good.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2019 ---
    Look at the phone? I think that’s what I would do.

8. timabbott macrumors newbie

timabbott

My trypophobia is going through the roof right now

9. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

Trypophobia ... Aaaargh!!!
    :(
    Me too!
    I seriously get freaked out by images like that.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To me, hardware is superficial. It’s about the software experience, Android doesn’t deliver here, if it does for you and you can willingly leave the continual iOS support and Apple’s unparalleled security, those are two things I would consider first. I see quite a few members say they will abandon Apple, then they transition android, which they usually come back to the iPhone eventually.

11. MogwaiX macrumors newbie

I love how most people here don't have any idea how cameras work, and why the new Nokia 5 is fantastic news especially for photographers... :)

Btw, Nokia is going to be big again soon. 5G is coming.

(HMD is just next to the actual old Nokia home offices, just a hint of what's to come... And Apple keeps paying Nokia royalties for its tech.)

12. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

If combining the output of 5 small mobile cameras into one image gives a much better more detailed image that a single lens, then I'm 100% in favor of this.
    I'm not going to say it's stupid as it looks funny, if the results are excellent, then it's a good design.

13. Morgenland, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

The current iPhone has the optimal camera for its size. This concludes the chapter.
    I don't think you can get much more out of it.

Unfortunately DJI (instead of Apple) has now taken the next logical step: The "DJI Osmo Pocket" is a horny thing. It was immediately sold out worldwide for the Christmas business. Quite rightly so. Together with an old iPhone (e.g. SE) you have a fantastic film/photo equipment. DJI is now just as professional as Apple, it's a tragedy that Apple didn't buy this Chinese company in time when it might still have been possible.

DJI-Osmo-Pocket-1.jpg

Hopefully, Apple's mindless marketing will not be competing for more lenses, but will be guided back on track by Apple's former technology leaders. The development of meaningful things such as FaceID monitors (Mac mini) and other simple but effective technical implementations made Apple famous. Not the race to compete in display size, gimmicks, wristband color and edge roundness.

As threatening as the market saturation in the iPhone sector is, there is hope that Apple will come to its senses again and no longer let itself be distracted by marketing games, but will again develop new hardware and intuitive software, they were the best.
    It's not my problem that you have stocks of Nokia

14. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

First it was size i.e. the smaller the better. Then it was physical, sliding keyboards. Then it was touch screens. Then it was size again i.e. the bigger the better. Now cameras? Even professional cameras only have one lens. All gimmicks nowadays. Nothing really innovative. How about something that works ALL THE TIME, simple to use, great reception, durable and not a hassle to carry around?

15. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

I thought I clicked on the wrong website. This is MAC RUMORS right?

I mean the iPhone coverage is fine and fantastic, but a whole story on Nokia is like doing a whole story on Microsoft's next Windows computers. Off topic. The moderators here often criticize posts as being off topic, but clearly this shows they have the same problem. :(

To be fair, a testing comparison of this Nokia against iPhones would be fine, but this is overkill. And didn't Nokia once have a 50mp camera that still wasn't as good as iPhone's?

16. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

Are you talking about this 2018 Windows phone from Nokia?

17. MogwaiX macrumors newbie

I do. I bought most of my stocks when Nokia was 1,436€. Right now it's 4,933€, so yeah. I'm happy.

Sold my last Apple stocks before christmas. It seems like it was a good idea. Prestock -12,15% today.

18. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

What you hold is to defend. Well done.

19. Ploki macrumors 68040

How would that work? A full frame sensor behind that 5-lens arrangement? Every lens has its own sensor and is essentially a separate camera entity.

Also, zoom lenses have become increasingly better. Sigma "trio" (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) should just about cover you. no need for 5 primes...

Also comparing a professional SLR photographer to a casual phone camera? Phone at its size is not a full-camera replacement, its a compact portable replacement, and those were always single-lens superzooms...

20. Substance90 macrumors 6502

Probably my next (and first Android based) smartphone. Sorry Apple but you've been really dropping the ball last couple of years.

21. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

22. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

I’ve been waiting for this to be announced - I might pick one up if it’s £800 or less, I’ve little interest in the Xs at the price they’re charging or even the Xr which offers little of any meaning to me over an 8 plus. Nokia have always put out interesting designs and hardware is usually top class, I’m glad they’ve come back fighting!

23. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Schiller’s word you’re teasing was courage, not bravery. And make fun of it all you like, but a whole bunch of smartphones, including Google’s, HTC’s, Huawei’s, and Xiaomi’s, are now copying Apple’s removal of the headphone jack.

24. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Nokia is gone. HMD Global zombified the brand. ‍♀️‍♂️

25. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

I feel the future is going to be uncomfortable for people with
    Trypophobia