The official MR push up challenge.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Jul 5, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Hi, my name is dogbone

I'm a skinny little runt. (yes, that is an ‘r’)

Every now and again I try to build myself up with a concerted effort of push ups. I usually collapse after about 10 and can build up to 30 after a few weeks but then I inevitably crap out.

If only I had the motivation to continue. So spurred on by the official weight loss thread I've started this one. I'm going to post a shot of my pathetically weak shoulders and upper foreams and commit to post my push up count every Monday starting on the 9th July 2007.

The purpose of the thread is only motivation.

Post your starting number and your goal and goal date, on Monday 9th. Or for late starters, when you start. I'll add the starting numbers to the names on Monday in some sort of a graph format, and new names will be added so it's OK to start at anytime.

Please clearly indicate if you are 'in' by saying so. That way people can give some advice or post their experiences without feeling like they have to join.

Optional: post a photo of forearm/pec/shoulder area at the start and one when you reach your goal.

Current Paricipants

dogbone
    XnavxeMiyyep
    After G
    cleanup
    scem0
    SpookTheHamster
    2nyRiggz
    Abstract
    Vader
    OutThere
    chadi
    twoodcc
    rhagen
    DJMastaWes
    Mr. Anderson
    psycoswimmer

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I used to be able to do more than fifty push ups nonstop. I did some today out of curiosity and could only do two (yes, two) before collapsing.

Count me in. I want to get up to at least 30 by mid-August.

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I guess it'd be worth a shot ... count me in too I guess.

How do you build up anyway? Just try to keep doing more every day? Add 1 each day?

4. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

When I built up my push ups before, I started off by adding two or three per day, but after awhile, I could only add one (or none!) per day.

5. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I think I can do 35-40 before tiring.

But count me in. I'm trying to gain some weight. 5'10" 145 lbs.

What you might want to try doing is spreading it out. Do 10 every half-hour, for a total of maybe 50 a day or however many you see fit.

And it's not always a good idea to continually train by adding 2 or 3 reps every day. If you feel sore in the morning, under your arms, near your ribs, or your triceps, then rest. An overworked muscle cannot grow.

6. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Excellent.

from 50 back to 2!!:eek: my gf burst into fits of laughter when she discovered that she is unable to do a single push up.

Well then 50 is going to be my short term goal.

I'm a pretty impatient sort of chap and what I do is just to try and do as many as I can each day without trying to add an extra definite number. I'm going to see if I can get up to 50 by the end of August. Edit, make that September.

@afterG
    If you aren't used to it what happens is that after the first effort you will probably be pretty sore the next day but this only lasts for about 5 days when suddenly you don't get sore any longer. Then you just do as many as you can in one go. If you like you can do this a few times a day, don't forget to breath. Breath out going up and in going down.

I suggest we all post our starting number on monday 9th, with optional photo.

7. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Yeah, I was pretty shocked. I figured I'd be able to get at least 10. Although, maybe I was abnormally tired today. Hopefully, it'll be 10 on Monday.

Also, when I did push ups before, I would do whatever my maximum was, rest, and then I'd do as many as I could do after that (eventually became about half) then 15, then 10, then 5 for maintenance.

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

9. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Yeah, that's a good way, to build up the 'cuts' as well as strength. In between sets I'll wave my arms around and breath deeply to get the acid out of muscles.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Count Me In!

I'll join too. I'm not scrawny, but I'm trying to develop my upper body.

I haven't tested to see how many I can do, but I've done 35 nonstop as recently as 2 weeks ago. That wasn't the most I could do though. So tomorrow, after I've slept, I'll give it a go and see how many I can do. I'll take the 'before' picture as well :).

I'm more interested to see if my pecs change at all. That's my biggest complaint about my body, I think. My non-existant pecs.

This'll help me with not being able to go to the gym this summer. I am stuck at my parents house without a car, and I can't afford a gym membership anyways. It's been driving me nuts because I had gotten accustomed to my weekly gym routine.

e

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats my compaint aswell... seeing as tho there is nothing there.

12. walangij macrumors 6502

This is a fantastic way to workout w/o equipment, being over in Asia, the gyms here, at least in my area, are full of cardiovascular machines but lack weights. In order to maintain muscle and build some, I did pushups, all types of variations to work specific parts -shoulders, triceps, chest, or altogether- and also by wearing my backpack filled with stuff and trying my best to do as many as possible. I hit a wall when doing pushups every single day to failure, got stuck so I suggest everyone not to do them so much that you don't give time for your muscles to grow. Even so, it seems to work, look at the military and the amount of pushups they do during basic, obviously it works well :) !

13. iGav macrumors G3

I'm not the only one then. :D

I do sit-ups like a demon though. ;)

14. dcv macrumors G3

She's not the only one :eek:

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that laughed or discoveered u cant do 1 pushup??

im limited to about 5

16. dcv macrumors G3

Both! I'm totally useless. Give me heavy(ish) weights in the gym and I'm fine. But a single push-up? Not a chance, not unless I'm on my knees :eek:

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

18. dcv macrumors G3

I'm sure it will if you post photos :rolleyes: :p

19. mpw Guest

I used to be able to do at least 50, right now probably 5 :(

I'll give a go now and in a week, if it's too embarrassing I'll come back and post about it.

Send in the pics and I'll act as adjudicator ;)

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahahah i hear ya, loud and clear

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I'd be in but my room's too small for me to lie on the floor in that way. Seriously.

22. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Join the club. Don't have the space.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I decided to embarrass myself in the hallway.

24. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

25. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I was waiting for that one :) As far as the optional photo goes, push ups or balconettes are fine.