Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I really am, but its biggest problem is the CRT is on the way out, and I'm pretty certain I won't be up to tackle that when the time comes, unfortunately. :(

I loved my eMac that I had over 10 years ago. I bought it brand new in 2004 and stupidly sold it somewhere in the 2008-2009 timeframe. I was searching eBay for another one but they are so heavy and hard to ship it wasn't worth the cost. I did end up with my iMac G4 instead which is what I always wanted to begin with, but the eMac is a workhorse machine.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
I wonder if any of the later IBM power chips would've been suitable for a portable.

I always wondered what IBM could come up with if they tried to make a laptop CPU based on the modern Power architecture. They'd need to scale them down a lot to get power consumption reasonable.

This article, which is very good, says the Power8 has a TDP of 250 watts: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/181102-ibm-power8-openpower-x86-server-monopoly

That thing is one monstrous CPU.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I always wondered what IBM could come up with if they tried to make a laptop CPU based on the modern Power architecture. They'd need to scale them down a lot to get power consumption reasonable.

This article, which is very good, says the Power8 has a TDP of 250 watts: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/181102-ibm-power8-openpower-x86-server-monopoly

That thing is one monstrous CPU.
Yeah even trying to fit one in the PowerMac case would be a challenge. The cooling system would have to be completely reconfigured, and the power supply would have to be running at an even higher wattage. I love PPC Macs, but switching away from PowerPC was a good choice by Apple.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I wonder if any of the later IBM power chips would've been suitable for a portable.

I think that even when Apple was still onboard IBM had begun to focus on the server market again with its PPC development so probably not, although there was a final hurrah with the Xbox in the consumer market.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
In the Microsoft Windows world there has always been a plethora of methods to theme your Windows installation to make it look like a Mac.
I find it very interesting that us Mac users don't seem to feel the same need to hide our roots and look like a Windows Pee-Cee.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hi all, new to PPC and strongly considering it! The nostalgia here is rubbing off on me. I think a G4 can handle my mobile needs, and I simply cannot resist at this point.

In particular I am strongly thinking of a top of the line 12'' PowerBook G4 if I can find one and doing as many hardware upgrades as possible.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Hi all, new to PPC and strongly considering it! The nostalgia here is rubbing off on me. I think a G4 can handle my mobile needs, and I simply cannot resist at this point.

In particular I am strongly thinking of a top of the line 12'' PowerBook G4 if I can find one and doing as many hardware upgrades as possible.
Welcome! I strongly recommend an SSD, just installed one in my G4 yesterday, huge performance boost, and battery life increase, with the RAM coming on Monday, which will basically max out the laptop!

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Welcome! I strongly recommend an SSD, just installed one in my G4 yesterday, huge performance boost, and battery life increase, with the RAM coming on Monday, which will basically max out the laptop!

I will definitely be doing such upgrades if I decide to go the PPC route. My thought process, as I explained in another thread in the PPC forum, is that I can sell my Core 2 Duo, get a PBG4 with a RAM kit and small SSD, and still have money left over. Therefore, G4 + money as opposed to my Core 2 Duo 13'', and I think the G4 can handle my mobile usage. I will have to think about it some more. A few people here recommended not to replace my Intel, but I really want it to be used rather than sitting there. If I have it along with the Intel there is no real reason to even use it if that makes sense.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I understand what you mean about wanting to use it instead of it sitting there... that's how I feel about my iMac G4. However I know that as much as I do love using the G4 it's just not capable of rendering modern web pages without lots of tweaks and even then my rMBP absolutely destroys it. These old PPC machines have a certain look and feel most us Mac guys tend to love, especially if we grew up using PPC machines. However they just can't handle modern software well at all and support is hard to come by. Even upgrading my machine to a SSD, it still doesn't do the web very well.

I say keep your MBP, buy whatever PPC machine you fancy and enjoy it as a secondary computer. My iMac can do web browsing decently (though its slow by modern standards) and it's a great iTunes music server. I have my iPhone setup to be a remote so I can lay in bed and control my music right from the phone. I also have all my photos on it so I can edit them in iPhoto.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I understand what you mean about wanting to use it instead of it sitting there... that's how I feel about my iMac G4. However I know that as much as I do love using the G4 it's just not capable of rendering modern web pages without lots of tweaks and even then my rMBP absolutely destroys it. These old PPC machines have a certain look and feel most us Mac guys tend to love, especially if we grew up using PPC machines. However they just can't handle modern software well at all and support is hard to come by. Even upgrading my machine to a SSD, it still doesn't do the web very well.

I say keep your MBP, buy whatever PPC machine you fancy and enjoy it as a secondary computer. My iMac can do web browsing decently (though its slow by modern standards) and it's a great iTunes music server. I have my iPhone setup to be a remote so I can lay in bed and control my music right from the phone. I also have all my photos on it so I can edit them in iPhoto.

You're right. It's just this overwhelming nostalgia that's rubbing off of me, and it isn't even mine - I've never experienced PPC. Curse this sub-forum!

I don't even know why I am talking about selling my Core 2 Duo, it's that obsessive compulsive nature of mine. I can't fathom having something I don't use - well, I can, it will just cause anxiety. It may sound ridiculous to people that are unaware of the disorder, but instead of being a hoarder, I am a consolidator basically. I dispose of or sell the things that I don't want or need and having extras of things that I only perceive as 1 being appropriate clouds my head tremendously. It's a terrible thing that causes the inability to function, and is extremely bizarre. I enjoy my MacBook and I think it's an excellent computer.

The thing is, though, I also have an i5 Mac Mini that is my "main" computer, so the PBG4 would be secondary - I just really thought that it wouldn't be sluggish with simple web browsing but I am getting the impression from multiple people here so far of that being the case unfortunately. Perhaps my Core 2 Duo will be the furthest back in time that I will experience.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
You're right. It's just this overwhelming nostalgia that's rubbing off of me, and it isn't even mine - I've never experienced PPC. Curse this sub-forum!

I don't even know why I am talking about selling my Core 2 Duo, it's that obsessive compulsive nature of mine. I can't fathom having something I don't use - well, I can, it will just cause anxiety. It may sound ridiculous to people that are unaware of the disorder, but instead of being a hoarder, I am a consolidator basically. I dispose of or sell the things that I don't want or need and having extras of things that I only perceive as 1 being appropriate clouds my head tremendously. It's a terrible thing that causes the inability to function, and is extremely bizarre. I enjoy my MacBook and I think it's an excellent computer.

The thing is, though, I also have an i5 Mac Mini that is my "main" computer, so the PBG4 would be secondary - I just really thought that it wouldn't be sluggish with simple web browsing but I am getting the impression from multiple people here so far of that being the case unfortunately. Perhaps my Core 2 Duo will be the furthest back in time that I will experience.
Personally, I would look for one on eBay that has minor issues, like no hard drive or RAM, for like 30-50 dollars, and then fix it to try it out

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
It may sound ridiculous to people that are unaware of the disorder, but instead of being a hoarder, I am a consolidator basically. I dispose of or sell the things that I don't want or need and having extras of things that I only perceive as 1 being appropriate clouds my head tremendously

I completely understand this - I'm not so bad now but I used to strip back everything to bare essentials - not just computers but everything - clothes, furniture...the worst was my vinyl and tapes - threw them all out..because I'd 'gone digital'! The CDs lasted a bit longer buy I eventually gave them away.
Other 'Zen living' crimes include throwing out a 1.42Ghz eMac (because it was in the way), throwing out a 1.25Ghz iMac (because the speaker jack was jamming in the socket), giving away a 3 month old 32" TV because I was moving house...one year later I moved again and having bought another TV, gave that away too.
Actually the list is endless...if i'd kept everything I could open a department store :)

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Personally, I would look for one on eBay that has minor issues, like no hard drive or RAM, for like 30-50 dollars, and then fix it to try it out

Thanks for your suggestions.

I completely understand this - I'm not so bad now but I used to strip back everything to bare essentials - not just computers but everything - clothes, furniture...the worst was my vinyl and tapes - threw them all out..because I'd 'gone digital'! The CDs lasted a bit longer buy I eventually gave them away.
Other 'Zen living' crimes include throwing out a 1.42Ghz eMac (because it was in the way), throwing out a 1.25Ghz iMac (because the speaker jack was jamming in the socket), giving away a 3 month old 32" TV because I was moving house...one year later I moved again and having bought another TV, gave that away too.
Actually the list is endless...if i'd kept everything I could open a department store :)

This is essentially what I mean, but in a way where if I don't give in to it, it will cause extreme anxiety, and that's only one obsessive compulsive trait that I have. I despise seeing things like "Apple OCD" or "OCD people are clean" or some other ignorant statements such as "the labels of the food cans in my cabinets have to face all the same way ... I'm so OCD!" It makes me give up on humanity lol. I didn't mean to start a conversation about it but rather wanted to at least give a reasoning as to why I am opposed to just having the PowerBook for fun or enjoyment alongside of my current computers.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for your suggestions.

This is essentially what I mean, but in a way where if I don't give in to it, it will cause extreme anxiety, and that's only one obsessive compulsive trait that I have. I despise seeing things like "Apple OCD" or "OCD people are clean" or some other ignorant statements such as "the labels of the food cans in my cabinets have to face all the same way ... I'm so OCD!" It makes me give up on humanity lol. I didn't mean to start a conversation about it but rather wanted to at least give a reasoning as to why I am opposed to just having the PowerBook for fun or enjoyment alongside of my current computers.

I wouldn't worry about quirks and traits - it's what makes people interesting...and don't forget Einstein used to have lots of identical suits so each day he didn't have to waste one single second of brain power considering what to wear :)

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
@Dark Void I have a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz that barely gets used and it still pales compared to my Intels. My PowerMac G5 and iBook G3 see daily use.

Out of curiosity, how come you choose to use the iBook over the PowerBook? That's basically like consumer vs pro, correct? (Excuse my PPC ignorance)

Is it just more portable for you, or?

G4PPC

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
For stuff that doesn't really merit its own thread, but you want to talk about in the PPC forum anyway (or to avoid derailing other threads). Let's try to keep it at least vaguely PowerPC/old computer related to keep the mods happy, but I'm sure tangents are fine.

Anyone else have a faster computer that they don't use often because they just don't like it as much as older ones? My X201 has been sitting unused for months since I got my T42. I've switched to the T42 as my main machine and have used that and my PowerBook to do everything. I like them both much better. I'll probably replace them with identical models when they die and do the same thing.

Yes right now I have my Quad Core Windows 7 computer that is mostly setting there doing nothing while I am using my iBook G4 more and more I just got my iBook in early june. lol

My Windows PC works well but because it's a desktop I guess is why it gets used less now, I got my iBook for not being refined to one room and because it was affordable compared to a Windows laptop that would cost a lot more and it's smaller, 4.9 pounds you think would be light but it still weighs a ton but a windows laptop would been a real beast. lol

I got the 12" 2005 model 1.33ghz. Wish I would went for the later 14" model though that is a little faster 1.42ghz, But I love my first Mac. For my windows computer I both love and hate it at the same time because a lot of times when I'm trying to do intensive stuff or am right in the middle of something it craps out on you.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ok so let me start up a new topic in here, does anyone watch Halt and Catch Fire on AMC? Its this great show about a computer company in the 80s. In the first season, they set out to build a portable "laptop" computer, in the second season, they make a new company that is focused on developing a gaming network. I absolutely love this show and highly recommend it.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Ok so let me start up a new topic in here, does anyone watch Halt and Catch Fire on AMC? Its this great show about a computer company in the 80s. In the first season, they set out to build a portable "laptop" computer, in the second season, they make a new company that is focused on developing a gaming network. I absolutely love this show and highly recommend it.

I liked it too.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
I just checked out the first episode on Amazon Prime. Why have I never heard of this show before??

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I just checked out the first episode on Amazon Prime. Why have I never heard of this show before??

I believe only the first season is on Prime/Netflix (I have both and I had no clue it was on prime), but the second season is on their website. It's such a great show! Feel free to PM me if you ever feel like discussing the show ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.