Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I will sometimes do that in order to make it to Sam's Club or CostCo where gas is usually 30 cents cheaper per gallon.

When Kroger has their 4X Fuel Points special on gift cards, I buy a couple $1000 worth of Home Depot cards and use them for my business (we spend it anyway so why should I care if it is on the HD card or Visa via Kroger) . Each $1000 gets me 4 x $1 off/gallon. Since my tank only holds 32 gallons and they let you buy 35 gallons on each fill, I take a 6 gallon can with me so I can use the whole discount amount.

Reactions: eyoungren

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I try not to judge prices by the most expensive versions of an item. But when even gas station iPhone chargers hit $25 and grocery store ketchup is over $5/bottle, it's hard not to notice.

There have still been a lot of cheaper versions of things available, but it definitely requires a lot more searching than before. I've shifted around where I shop to compensate for a lot of it and have been able to keep it from really hitting my wallet too hard yet. But if prices go up much further, it'll be unavoidable.

Many of the items that are rising in price are rising much more than the official inflation statistics would suggest. I need to replace my car too, but I'm reluctant to buy anything in this market.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
A high price of fuel affects the entire US economy. It means that all goods and services become more expensive as the cost of fuel goes up as you can read here:

I believe the NYT published a similar article last year, if you prefer to read that one instead of the one above.

Reactions: Huntn

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
When Kroger has their 4X Fuel Points special on gift cards, I buy a couple $1000 worth of Home Depot cards and use them for my business (we spend it anyway so why should I care if it is on the HD card or Visa via Kroger) . Each $1000 gets me 4 x $1 off/gallon. Since my tank only holds 32 gallons and they let you buy 35 gallons on each fill, I take a 6 gallon can with me so I can use the whole discount amount.
My wife and I do the same and more, not only purchasing Home Depot or Lowe's gift cards, but Amazon and any other online store, including Apple. However, while we have three automobiles, we don't need 35 gallons every month. Sometimes we just give the $1.00 x 35-gallon discount to our oldest son who drives a Toyota Tundra.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I try not to judge prices by the most expensive versions of an item. But when even gas station iPhone chargers hit $25 and grocery store ketchup is over $5/bottle, it's hard not to notice.

There have still been a lot of cheaper versions of things available, but it definitely requires a lot more searching than before. I've shifted around where I shop to compensate for a lot of it and have been able to keep it from really hitting my wallet too hard yet. But if prices go up much further, it'll be unavoidable.

Many of the items that are rising in price are rising much more than the official inflation statistics would suggest. I need to replace my car too, but I'm reluctant to buy anything in this market.

Agreed. Inflation was 8.4% last month. That hurts everyone.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
My wife and I do the same and more, not only purchasing Home Depot or Lowe's gift cards, but Amazon and any other online store, including Apple. However, while we have three automobiles, we don't need 35 gallons every month. Sometimes we just give the $1.00 x 35-gallon discount to our oldest son who drives a Toyota Tundra.

4X Fuel Points is back. Have to download their coupon to their app, but otherwise, just buy them.

Will probably get $1000 this month, so $1 off a gallon 4 times. That is $140 savings.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
4X Fuel Points is back. Have to download their coupon to their app, but otherwise, just buy them.

Will probably get $1000 this month, so $1 off a gallon 4 times. That is $140 savings.
Yes, my wife takes care of that. It's not a bad deal, since we have to use our credit cards at other places. In this case we figure how much we are going to spend at Home Depot, or Lowe's, or Amazon, etc., and buy the appropriate gift card at Fred Mayer.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The source of increased prices in goods is increased oil prices. And increased oil prices may be placed squarely at the feet of oil companies. We are being played by Big Oil.

I can't speak of other countries, but here in the US, there are over 9,000 unused oil exploration permits, yet the oil companies try to blame the government for restricting permits. The US is the 7th largest exporter of oil in the world. Why is all that oil exported and not kept here? (and then we have to import oil to replace it, thus raising prices.) Because oil companies make more money exporting than refining it for use here in the US.

Oil should be nationalized as a strategic asset - make it not for profit. I'd say that for health care too, but that's another whole mess to get into. But half this country would explode in rage if nationalizing oil ever happened.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oil is definitely the biggest factor. But chip shortages are also playing there part. For example in the new car (and second hand car) markets. There is a shortage of stock, so that pushes up the prices. Then because there is a chip shortage the car manufacturers tend to put what they have into higher end models rather than lower priced models.
Moving away from oil dependency would be one way to soften the blow. Probably why EV’s are the fastest growing new car segment here in the U.K.
I pick up my new EV on Saturday.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
According to AAA we are seeing record high national averages for gas…

3BA22E65-E350-427D-B3E9-0F2513CCFFAF.png

• Sad

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
It’s called supply and demand. Get used to it. I worked in the oil industry for 50 years and I can guarantee that if there is money to be made by drilling for oil someone will do it. Competition is cutthroat. I suspect that all these “unused” leases are of questionable value or are impractical because of pipeline constraints. Remember our esteemed leaders want to force us to electric cars and making gas unaffordable has the added benefit of being able to blame the “greedy“ oil companies for the high prices. Even if increased drilling started today, it would be months before production would come on line and prices start to fall.
Income will chase prices and with higher income comes higher tax revenue. Win/win for government and lose/lose for most of us. I lived through the so called wage and price freeze of the 70’s and can tell you they didn’t work. We are in for a rough ride for the near future.

Reactions: Herdfan

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It’s called supply and demand. Get used to it. I worked in the oil industry for 50 years and I can guarantee that if there is money to be made by drilling for oil someone will do it. Competition is cutthroat. I suspect that all these “unused” leases are of questionable value or are impractical because of pipeline constraints. Remember our esteemed leaders want to force us to electric cars and making gas unaffordable has the added benefit of being able to blame the “greedy“ oil companies for the high prices. Even if increased drilling started today, it would be months before production would come on line and prices start to fall.
Income will chase prices and with higher income comes higher tax revenue. Win/win for government and lose/lose for most of us. I lived through the so called wage and price freeze of the 70’s and can tell you they didn’t work. We are in for a rough ride for the near future.

Oil companies are greedy. Why export oil at all? Other than because it makes them more money than refining it here. Exxon alone profited $5.5 billion on just this past one quarter. Those aren't earnings, that's profit.

Inagine if people didn't kick and scream for the last 30 years when it comes to green - electric cars, solar, wind, etc? And no, it's not a conspiracy. The US needs to get off fossil fuels, the sooner the better. We would need a lot less oil than we need now and prices would be immaterial. Other energy costs would drop too, as more and more people use sources of green energy. As there is more of something, it gets cheaper. Simple economics.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oil companies are greedy. Why export oil at all? Other than because it makes them more money than refining it here. Exxon alone profited $5.5 billion on just this past one quarter. Those aren't earnings, that's profit.

Inagine if people didn't kick and scream for the last 30 years when it comes to green - electric cars, solar, wind, etc? And no, it's not a conspiracy. The US needs to get off fossil fuels, the sooner the better. We would need a lot less oil than we need now and prices would be immaterial. Other energy costs would drop too, as more and more people use sources of green energy. As there is more of something, it gets cheaper. Simple economics.
Couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Rafterman

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Highest price I've seen in the last week - $6.59 per gallon premium. Most premium prices around $6.39.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Well, for a company to exist there must be a profit to be made. The oil companies aren't the only ones benefitting from the high fuel prices, but local/state, and Federal governments. When the price of fuel goes up like it is now, the price of all goods and services also goes up. Groceries, fuel, clothing, housing, utilities (water, electricity, heating/cooling), construction, and on and on become more expensive. Oil falls into a global market, but the retailers (the gas stations) set the price for the fuel they sell, and that's why the price of fuel varies from one gas station to another.

Approximately 57-cents per gallon represents the amount of tax collected at the pumps. The retailer is not going to pay this tax since it would be a very large loss of business. The only way for the gas station owner to survive is by selling great quantities of fuel in order to make a profit.

The US cannot get off fossil fuels any time soon. Just look which products are used for generations electricity in the US, and then tell us which one of these should not be used. Natural gas is one of several fossil fuels used for heating, cooking, electric power generation, and so on :)

In relation to electric power production in the US:
The three major categories of energy for electricity generation are fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum), nuclear energy, and renewable energy sources. Most electricity is generated with steam turbines using fossil fuels, nuclear, biomass, geothermal, and solar thermal energy. Other major electricity generation technologies include gas turbines, hydro turbines, wind turbines, and solar photovoltaics.
One could drive less, or drive a vehicle that does not burn as much fuel (a motorcycle, for example), carpool, ride a bicycle, use public transportation, or just walk.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Am currently working on obtaining specs and pricing for a newer model laptop, at work.
In short, the prices have DOUBLED, since 2020. Even with the chip shortage, I was not expecting the pricing to have doubled.

Seriously doubled...

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Highest price I've seen in the last week - $6.59 per gallon premium. Most premium prices around $6.39.
I paid $5.09 this morning for premium, and that was actually ten cents less than a week ago. I was surprised to see even that tiny price drop, considering we're heading towards the holiday weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.