The problem with iOS 7 is that everything is just... slower.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by WilliamG, Jul 17, 2013.

1. WilliamG, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

WilliamG macrumors 604

I don't mean from a speed perspective in the sense that the current-generation iPhone isn't fast enough.

I just mean that all the things we used to do just take longer.

For example:

1.) Multitasking takes longer to initiate after you double-press the home button. It's not as instant to bring up your open apps as it used to be.

2.) Hitting the home button to close an app also has a delay before anything happens.

3.) Going into a folder is also slower than it used to be due to the new animation, and now you can only have 9 apps vs the old 16 (16!!), so it's just more work to get to those extra apps.

4.) With the bottom bar in Safari now missing, it takes an extra step to bring up your bookmarks. Either scroll up or press the bottom of the screen to bring up the menu. Either way it's slower than it used to be!

5.) You get a piece of spam in your mail inbox. How do you delete it? Swipe to the left and hit "Trash." In iOS 6 it was SUPER quick to swipe and delete. I could do it REALLY fast. Now? You have to swipe, WAIT for the animation to finish before you hit "Trash." If you press "Trash" before it finishes its animation, it simply closes the option.

Everything just seems far more relaxed than the instantaneous nature of iOS 6. I like iOS 7 in general. Some things really need to go (like the obnoxious and nigh-on impossible to read green bar at the top of the screen when you're on a call), but generally it's good. It just takes quite a bit of getting used to when everything you used to do just takes that much longer to do.

2. edogyip macrumors member

3. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Is it possible the slowness is caused by lack of optimization of code that's in beta mode. I'm sure the GM will have the same type of speed as ios 6.
    edit: oops looks like someone beat me to it already

4. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Yeah lots of slow animation times and delays. Also I don't think the designers at Apple got the memo that you never put white on top of neon green. Bleh!

5. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Yeah and where is this written? :confused:

6. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Its common sense in the design world. White text on bright colors never has or will read good on a screen.

7. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

As I said in my original post, it's nothing to do with optimization. It's a conscious decision by Apple to make things more.... animated. It looks very slick, but it's just slower. I'm having a hard time slowing down my phone "workflow."

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

That.

You know the difference between debug builds and production code, right?

This sort of thing is why apple only release betas to developers. They are not production ready both in terms of code quality and feature set. i.e., the "workflow" issues you have may well be altered in the production release.

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

This is always a possibility. I realize it's a beta. However, the way the animations etc work seem to be pretty specific.

THAT said, I hope YOU'RE right and that I'm wrong. :D

10. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

Seriously? That's a pretty substantial change (for the worse). Did Apple really give up space for three more icons in an attempt to make things look more aesthetically pleasing? :confused:

11. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Yes, seriously. 9 apps per folder page. You can have multiple pages inside a folder, but only 9 apps per page. I find this mega annoying, and like many things I don't see it being changed.

12. Jakimo macrumors 6502

I really don't find the speed bad at all.

Battery sure goes fast, but the new background processes are far from refinement. Yeesh, last beta didn't even have per app control according to the release notes.. so battery flies out for me. I'm not disappointed, it's to be expected.

The biggest that bugs me - why should HOW we install betas matter in performance? Also why are app settings and preferences not actually be erased even upon Erase all settings? They remain.

Seems to me, there should be a way to do full security reformatting of the iPhone drive and a clean install that matches every other piece of hardware that's the same.

It's crazy how many iPhone 5's have co,pletely different issues! Rrrrr.

You take any Mac of the same model, you can make all of them behave exactly the same way by mirroring the system drive install..

Oh boy, sorry this has been a bit of a rant. :(

Really, I do love iOS - every iteration of it.. even betas! :)

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

I tend to agree with pretty much all of that.

14. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

To quote my own post...

"And again, OP, do you know this is a beta? did you notice that the speed of the transitions from beta 1 to beta 3 have all speed up? and from here on, we will probably see minor changes visually and everything else will be focus on speed, stability (fixing bugs) and battery."

15. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

To answer your questions:

1.) Yes, I know it's a beta.

2.) I did not notice any transitional animations being sped up from beta 1 to beta 3. I did, however, notice things that were stuttery were smoothed out (swiping through the multitask cards, for example). But that's where I see the optimizations going, NOT to the actual animations SPEEDS.

We can revisit this in a few months, if you'd like. I just don't believe that my concerns with animations speeds/folder app numbers will be addressed.

16. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I agree with everything you said, I think speed is lacking too much yet battery drains like fuc|<

17. bobbysmith macrumors regular

The public betas are not debug builds, they contain fully optimized binaries. What's the point of these "Apple never does anything wrong" replies that contribute absolutely nothing to a discussion? What's the point of a discussion forum where you can't discuss anything? Sure, Apple may fix the problems and design flaws, tweak settings for animation speeds and so on, but why does that mean that no one is allowed to discuss them? They might as well shut down the IOS 7 sub forum if it's only intended for an orgy of "wow, everything Apple does is amazing!!" posts.

18. zmagik macrumors regular

Lets hope it's not like this for public release

19. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Lots of poor design choices by Apple. I agree with WilliamG. Unfortunately, optimizing wk t help what he's referring to. It is what it is, unless Apple changes their design philosophy.

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Another of these threads, another opinion based on a beta. What a waste of space.

21. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

FYI it's Beta.
    Expect the speed to improve each beta, like every other release from past.

22. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Try uploading photos to Facebook from the new photos app, you'll think your app has frozen for seconds while it waits to bring up the. Facebook upload window.

23. meashish macrumors member

meashish

iOS 7 really slow

is it really ios7 work n progress slow in iphon.....or due to beta -developer os
    its took long time and so way to open task n any process
    i tried on iphone4 is it right ? cos i have lower chip
    but it work slow also on 4s and 5 ......
    hope will release with smoothly process n normally work as currently :)

24. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

because its a beta. For crying out loud!