Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
As a long time Newton user and fan(atic) I'd be over the moon to see Apple do this.

The core OS and technology is there so it would only be a change in form factor and some more advanced Apps to get the ball rolling. Maybe that's why Apple left out apps on the iPod touch, and included apps with limited functionality, (Notes, etc.) on iPhone.

Actually in my latest blog posting - i speculate on how Apple will soon start selling applications for mobile Mac OS X via the iTunes store. You can read it here: How Apple will sell you ‘Notes’ for your iPod touch and iPhone

Cheers!

Rod.

Fwink!

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Earth
Absolutely not going to happen. If anything they will add more PDA functions to the other touch devices.

We will see a slim/compact notebook long before a PDA.

This is a rumor that I think is completely unfounded.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
I really hope that the reason why the iPhone is light on certain functionality isn't be cause they were scared it would cannibalize this new PDA. It would make sense though. You can't even save files on your iPhone.... and why? Because perhaps this is what their new PDA is for. Yuck. PDA. These things only have applicability in certain parts of the business world... for things like taking inventory or medical charting.

I'm really starting to miss some of the PDA type stuff on my iPhone. At first it was no big deal. But then I had some travel documents I wanted to put on the phone for a trip. The only way I could do this was to email them to myself. But then, my iPhone is suffering from the problem where emails just disappear. They don't go into the trash and they are no longer on the server either! Mail (even if it was working properly) is not a good file management system.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Not a PDA, not a newton

I think the trouble people are having seeing the utility of this product (or why the iPhone is not the PDA) is just the "PDA" moniker.

The way I understand the rumours on this product, it's not so much a PDA, as it is a "livingroom computer" or "home appliance."

This is a ten inch slate that you can type on, cruise the internet etc. and that has hooks into your home network, your .Mac account, your media files, etc. at least that's the way I have heard it described.

Imagine something like this sitting in a wireless charger cradle, propped up like a TV. In fact it is a TV, but you can also walk over and pick it up if you want to cruise the net, type an essay, look at your pictures, or video conference with someone. I think it's probably more like an "everything computer" or an interface to your entire digital life.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Exciting times ahead, perhaps...The PDA is dead... Long live the PDA...

Just because PDAs are seen as clunky and passé doesn't mean Apple can't make something simple, elegant, useful and intuitive. As a writer, I'd love to be able to use a small device with a fold-up keyboard; I'd leave the laptop at home.

I think Apple could breathe new life into sectors of the market that haven't grown... simply because the products to date have been poor.

Oh, heck, just call it a UMPC.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
A MacBook "convertible" with a physical keyboard that can be used as a laptop or as a tablet is likely a better idea then a true "tablet" with only a virtual keyboard...

...unless Apple can create a 10-12" multitouch screen, in which case a virtual keyboard would be a non-issue since you could type with your fingers and not a stylus. :)

Honestly, a large multi-touch display for a MacTablet would be a major plus for the platform. Yes, Windows PC manufacturers will quickly move to adopt it, as well, but the goal is to appeal to existing Mac users. :)

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
This screams N800 competitor to me.

iPhone internals + slightly faster processor + bigger batter = iPad

Or imagine a gateway where you plug in your RJ-11 phone system and it acts as a portable phone in your house too (VoIP based).

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Could it be the Ultraslim

There's been a load of rumours about an ultraslim macbook of late, the thing that tweaked my thought buds is that it probably doesn't have an optical drive of any kind.

So i think most people would view it as an addition to their desktop as opposed to a fully standalone laptop. ie. it needs to sync with a parent computer for your data/updates.

It could either be based on the embedded OS X for ARM and be limited to Touch/iPhone apps or be intel based full fat OS X but with iPhone/Touch gestures layered on top. Perhaps with an iPhone like high density DPI screen for mac apps that use lots of real-estate or fullscreen eBooks.

What i envision is a tablet with a slide out/flip over keyboard so it does efficient data entry, but also takes advantage of multitouch for navigation and data manipulation.

I could see this as Apple's answer to the UMPC, though the UMPC along with PDA's haven't really taken the market by storm.

EDIT: I agree with others above, i doubt at any point Apple will refer to this device as a PDA, most likely it'll be an iPad, iTablet, iSlate, iBook (maybe not the last one ;-))

M. ;)

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
The interface is pretty much there already. As long as they nail the handwriting recognition (do people still do that?), they will be fine. All I can think of is that Simpsons episode with the "beat up martin" Newton. :p
A lot of people still don't know this, but the handwriting recognition on the Newton was fixed very early on. It went on to become "Caligrapher" if I am not mistaken, one of the best on the market.

It's just that the (at the time very popular) Doonesbury comics spread news of the problems so far and wide in the culture, that no one can remember anything else about the Newton now except that it had bad handwriting recognition.

In fact, it just had some bugs early on that were quickly fixed. It was actually cancelled for a bunch of other reasons.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I think the trouble people are having seeing the utility of this product (or why the iPhone is not the PDA) is just the "PDA" moniker.

The way I understand the rumours on this product, it's not so much a PDA, as it is a "livingroom computer" or "home appliance."

This is a ten inch slate that you can type on, cruise the internet etc. and that has hooks into your home network, your .Mac account, your media files, etc. at least that's the way I have heard it described.

Imagine something like this sitting in a wireless charger cradle, propped up like a TV. In fact it is a TV, but you can also walk over and pick it up if you want to cruise the net, type an essay, look at your pictures, or video conference with someone. I think it's probably more like an "everything computer" or an interface to your entire digital life.

If you're right, then this is likely to be one of those "YOU SAID IT COSTS WHAT?!" products Apple is (in)famous for...

I'm thinking $2,999 at the least.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK

With NFC coming soon to the iPhone, it certainly can.
NFC equipped phones are being trialled by Mastercard and Visa everywhere.
Nokia has released an NFC phone already. (as have many Japan-only phones)
I'm sure you are carrying at least one NFC card in you wallet already. (public transport card, work security pass etc)
Bluetooth 2.1 uses NFC for pairing too!

(Today's Mastercard Paypass and Felica are also NFC compatible)
That's wicked awesome...

Because once you buy one, you have no money, and thus, no need for a wallet. :)

I hear ya, brotha. I should know, I just bought mine...

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
A lot of people still don't know this, but the handwriting recognition on the Newton was fixed very early on. It went on to become "Caligrapher" if I am not mistaken, one of the best on the market.

It's just that the (at the time very popular) Doonesbury comics spread news of the problems so far and wide in the culture, that no one can remember anything else about the Newton now except that it had bad handwriting recognition.

In fact, it just had some bugs early on that were quickly fixed. It was actually cancelled for a bunch of other reasons.

I have one of those "fixed" Newton 2100s. The PRINT recognition works well, the handwriting recognition is so-so (but not as bad as made out by any means), but typing is still more efficient. I would say the print recognizer is about akin to the early Palm Pilot, which I also owned, in terms of ease of use and accuracy, with the advantage that you don't need to learn a special orthography. On the other hand, it's a bit slower.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
If you're right, then this is likely to be one of those "YOU SAID IT COSTS WHAT?!" products Apple is (in)famous for...

I'm thinking $2,999 at the least.
Agreed.

They will market it as a "device for everyone" but the cost will be like buying a new car.

Steve Jobs won't notice the irony. :p

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Agree.

Can't see it. This whole thing seems like an application on iPhone. People don't want multiple items - they want 1 gadget to rule them all PDA, Phone, Camera, Music Player all in one. How many things do people want in their pockets?

Appe wil be into Clothing business too, buggy pants with mulitple pockets:eek::D

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
I'm going with it being named "iPhone Pro".

When the iphone interface begins to replace all the iPod models I can see this as being a pro iphone model. After all, handwriting and a larger screen would be awesome. My eyes aren't what they used to be so a larger screen would be ideal.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
Having a PDA that size from Apple is really something that I cannot imagine. When I think of a PDA, I think of something that is iPhone sized. Here is an idea...Make the iPod Touch a PDA. Doing this would not take a lot of effort, here is what you do:

-Allow 3rd Party Apps
-Give full functionality to Caledars, Contacts, etc
-Email
-Use Google Maps to make this a GPS Device
-iChat

I am really surprised that they haven't marketed the iPod Touch as a PDA.

By the way, aren't PDAs that are not smart phone pretty much dead?

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I read an interesting article the other day about the development of the Wii. One of the blurbs that caught my eye was that Nintendo did not design the Wii based on information provided by their hardcore customers. In a sense, they didn't create what the customers were telling them they wanted
Apple seems to be doing the same thing. When the iPod was first announced people were going crazy telling everyone why it will fail. Then with each iteration of the iPod, everyone states that the next one HAS TO HAVE, FM, voice notes, removable flash, removable battery, etc. Stuff that most other MP3 players have yet still fail miserably in the marketplace. Yet, the iPod continues to thrive and grow marketshare DESPITE what we, the hardcore Applites, demand. Is it that Apple is really in tune with what is wanted in the marketplace, or just that we are out of touch. Sure some of our wants have been fulfilled but certain features continue to elude us that we continually demand as 'must haves'.

I bring this up because of this discussion about PDA, features that are not on the iPhone, UMPCs, etc. It kind of makes me realize that we (hardcore 26th level Applites that we are) don't have a clue what will sell and thrive in today's marketplace. A lot of analysis predicted doom and gloom for the iPhone yet it is the most popular smartphone (title is debatable, i know) in the US at this time. By the same token, the Wii, is the most popular and sought after gaming system right now. Both designed not by the hardcore users but by design teams that strip away expectations based on past experience, and plow their own ground.

One poster made the statement that the PDA is dead and that the UMPC is on the rise. I think that may be the case here. Much like Rio and other came out with mp3 players before Apple but then fell by the wayside as soon as the iPod was available. Apple maybe doing the same with the UMPC. Creating a whole new product niche that will appeal to consumers. Not based on needs and desires of the early adopters of the UMPCs, but by creating a whole new paradigm of usage and interaction with the device.

On a slightly off tangent side note, I think the above poster is correct when he made the prediction of iTunes store selling applications for the iPhone. This makes so much intuitive sense that I can't believe no one has made it before. Or maybe it has been made before but lost in the internet static. You just buy the apps you need and can avoid the bloat that you get with WM mobile or Treo or Blackberry. Makes the UI elegant and personable.

just my thinkering.

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.
iReader/iBook

Read? What's that? I once heard that people still read, but that was back in the Treo days, when eBooks weren't read to us by overpaid actors.

Step up to the (what century is this?) 2000s, man! If it doesn't move, Apple doesn't want to support it. Watch a movie, listen to music, listen to people read for you -- don't you get it? The typical Apple customer doesn't read.

Or so Apple believes.

Coming next: pre-chewed steak...

There is great potential for an iReader, if it can replace everyone's needs for physical books and make iTunes ubiquitous (if it isn't already).

Do you think there was a need for iTunes U? No, but Apple realizes its college demographics and wants to make iTunes more functional. An inkwell-based iReader pad would reignite the education segment that gave Apple some of its thunder in the early days.

I think it's the much awaited sub-notebook. It makes perfect sense not to go the Foleo route, no matter how thin it may be.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
The next piece in the great puzzle of 'post-PC devices'.

I just wonder how much that thing would actually cost... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.