Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I don't see the point in Samsung adopting the boxy shape for the entire lineup... for what purpose? To stand out.

The reason why Ultra series has a boxy design is to incorporate the S-Pen, if it wasn't for the S-Pen... I don't believe Samsung would have made it that way.

If there is one thing that Samsung need to really improve in regard to hardware... face unlock. I'm part of the foldable group and I know in-display fingerprint technology is the focal point for their slab phones.

But I'll like Samsung to put more resources behind face unlock technology. And I know that UDC is around the corner too (RedMagic 9 Pro has done it successfully).
Everyone has there own opinions and I didn't think mine would be popular.

I like the boxy design because it is a Samsung original and not a copy of Apple rounded corners. Yes, it is simply to be different. I want an Android phone to look different than an iPhone. If I want an iPhone I will buy one. I don't want a Android hardware copy.

One of the things I like about Pixel is that the design is completely unique even if they do use rounded corners. The s23 series other than the ultra doesn't know if it is trying to be unique or a copy. Samsung has the talent and money to create a unique and compelling design language within the confines of the bar phone format. I think the s23 ultra is unique and a stand out and I just want more of that.

All that being said I am not complaining about the current line design or next one, maybe the colors but the design is good. But you can make subtle design differences that make your product stand out. Nothing has done it, Google has done it, Apple has done it but Samsung is just kind of a generic amalgam and it could be more.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't see the point in Samsung adopting the boxy shape for the entire lineup... for what purpose? To stand out.

The reason why Ultra series has a boxy design is to incorporate the S-Pen, if it wasn't for the S-Pen... I don't believe Samsung would have made it that way.

If there is one thing that Samsung need to really improve in regard to hardware... face unlock. I'm part of the foldable group and I know in-display fingerprint technology is the focal point for their slab phones.

But I'll like Samsung to put more resources behind face unlock technology. And I know that UDC is around the corner too (RedMagic 9 Pro has done it successfully).

I would love to see Samsung develop an equal to FaceID on IOS too.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'd love to see what's next for slab phones. At this point, we are all just waiting on an all screen phone from Google, Samsung, OnePlus (I know they had the OnePlus 7 Pro) or Apple. I'm really surprised Samsung hasn't done it yet. Allegedly, Apple is going to do it in 2027, which would be the 20th anniversary of the iPhone. That's the same year, the Vision Pro 2 is supposed to be released.

It feels like phones are going backwards after seeing the OP7. What a beautiful phone.

Reactions: Harthag

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'd love to see what's next for slab phones. At this point, we are all just waiting on an all screen phone from Google, Samsung, OnePlus (I know they had the OnePlus 7 Pro) or Apple. I'm really surprised Samsung hasn't done it yet. Allegedly, Apple is going to do it in 2027, which would be the 20th anniversary of the iPhone. That's the same year, the Vision Pro 2 is supposed to be released.

It feels like phones are going backwards after seeing the OP7. What a beautiful phone.

I am not looking forward to a all display phone personally. It would seem to make holding the phone impossible without touching the display and getting false touches.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
One of the things I like about Pixel is that the design is completely unique even if they do use rounded corners. The s23 series other than the ultra doesn't know if it is trying to be unique or a copy. Samsung has the talent and money to create a unique and compelling design language within the confines of the bar phone format. I think the s23 ultra is unique and a stand out and I just want more of that.
Tbf, what makes any phone standout from the rest is the back of it (obviously there’s minor tweaks to the how it feels in the hand with rounded corners).

At this point we have reached nearly peaked design in a slab phone and once UDC reach the masses… the back of these phones will be what companies focus on. Especially with how they arrange the cameras.

I am not looking forward to an all display phone personally. It would seem to make holding the phone impossible without touching the display and getting false touches.
I think they are referring to the UDC… that’s what I assume when it comes to an all-display phone.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Can't understand why they haven't yet. Now, with AI, it would be a great chance to use that technology to improve FaceID security.

yeah! well it's taken them long enough but the pixel 8 pro has finally done it and whilst not QUITE as good as ios, it's very good in my experience.

So, hopefully samsung have taken notice and we'll get the same soon

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It will be interesting to see how Samsungs AI stacks up against Googles. The Pixel uses some impressive AI, if Samsung can pull off the same or better, it will be great.
Also it will be interesting to see if Samsung are teaming up with Google on AI. Will Google’s Bard be available on the S24 Ultra, for example.

Reactions: jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Maybe it's just me but I happened to like the curved screen on my S23U.
I think there is a sub group of people who really like curved displays and feel that it makes a device feel more premium to them. If that is you then keep your s23 ultra. It may be the last curved display on a major flagship for a while. Seems overall popularity of curved displays has dropped off a cliff recently.

Personally I loath curved displays because they make using a cheap tempered glass screen protector impossible. They make the display more prone to scratches and damage. They distort the image along the edges. Since the display is wrapping around the frame the display looks thinner than a flat display would. My biggest issue is that I don't feel any real life benefits and a bunch of negatives.

These things tend to be trends so in a few years curved displays will be a thing again.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It will be interesting to see how Samsungs AI stacks up against Googles. The Pixel uses some impressive AI, if Samsung can pull off the same or better, it will be great.
Also it will be interesting to see if Samsung are teaming up with Google on AI. Will Google’s Bard be available on the S24 Ultra, for example.
This is a very interesting topic.

It will be very interesting to see how Samsung AI plays out. I don't see how Google would not have helped Samsung with their AI since Samsung and Google have a good business relationship.

I doubt Bard will be available but some Samsung branded version of it might be.

It is a fine line for Google as they obviously need to keep some of their AI magic proprietary but some of it I imagine they don't mind sharing with all of Android to add features to the base.

What I sincerely hope is that Samsung doesn't make a big show and offer up a bunch of incredible features it half delivers but rather releases a few really good, well thought out features and adds more and matures everything over time to be a solid product like Google's AI.

If Samsung is successful in AI and software optimization it might be a turning point where software is going to play a bigger role than in the past. That software that is unique to a brand will leverage the brand where hardware used to in the past.

We will see? Lot's of big promises with AI. Not so sure I really believe just yet. Generative AI on phones still has a long way to go.

Reactions: Dave245 and keithop

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Maybe it's just me but I happened to like the curved screen on my S23U.

I'm glad someone said this!

I love the S23ultra as it is, right now. I don't even notice the curved edges tbh, all I know is the iphone looks old to me next to the s23u and I've had no problem putting a screen protector on it and a clear case on the bottom.

I'll accept a flat screen but I hope they don't go rounded corners.

In terms of AI, I hope samsung take the best of google and leave the rest. So I'd like banking capable face ID but the "amazing" 2023 google AI image stuff took so long to work on the pixel 8 that I gave up on it. Perhaps it'd be faster on the samsung.

Perhaps I'm just weird, but take magic erase. On the samsung, it detects all the objects, I click on one, it goes bye bye. No having to circle things etc. On the pixel when I tried some of the 2023 fancy stuff, it took ages to work.

I want the kind of AI that just improves things in the background without me really knowing. If I have to choose it and it takes ages then yawn.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

It will be very interesting to see how Samsung AI plays out. I don't see how Google would not have helped Samsung with their AI since Samsung and Google have a good business relationship.

It is a fine line for Google as they obviously need to keep some of their AI magic proprietary but some of it I imagine they don't mind sharing with all of Android to add features to the base.

What I sincerely hope is that Samsung doesn't make a big show and offer up a bunch of incredible features it half delivers but rather releases a few really good, well thought out features and adds more and matures everything over time to be a solid product like Google's AI.

If Samsung is successful in AI and software optimization it might be a turning point where software is going to play a bigger role than in the past. That software that is unique to a brand will leverage the brand where hardware used to in the past.

We will see? Lot's of big promises with AI. Not so sure I really believe just yet. Generative AI on phones still has a long way to go.

I hope the features are available world wide, it’s really annoying when those of us in the UK can’t get certain features that are available in the US. The Pixel for example has a couple of features that are not available here in the UK (at the moment).

I’m not sure how much AI is going to be hyped up by Samsung, I do hope it’s cool tho but also something that will be used a not just some gimmick.

The design looks to have been refined, the colours this year look ok. However I don’t believe the online exclusive colours have leaked (yet). Unless Samsung aren’t doing those with the S24 Ultra this year.

Reactions: keithop and jamezr

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Getting caught up so I'm gonna chinme in and help.

yeah Im still noit 100% happy with notifications and often miss them v iphone.

The app "glimpse" does help a bit https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.nullgrad.glimpse&hl=en&gl=US

Brief story as I came from iphone. My mother turned 72 this year, I'm 50 and we've always, and Imean always butted heads since I was a lickl'yute! At a hospital visit for her everything was cool, until she mentioned notifications on her Android, I was still on iPhone 13 min very late december last year. Becaues iOSvolume can be enabled and for most people it is to control music-media volume and not affect ringtone-alarm volume we butted heads. I keep forgetting she had both a computer science and accounting scholarship when coming to Canada pregnant with me from Jamaica ' took me 10mins to figure it out swollow my technical skills pride in I.T: and apoloize. we laughed and hugged. Isuspect your notifications may be volume related, press voloume and tap the 3 elipses button at the top of teh volume slider. now check your scene as well (work, sleep, etc)to see if notifications are also affected.

I LOVEthe S23-S24Uś more boxy shape and looking forward to that on the regular S24 ' the shaper edges of the iPhone 12 - 14 series I absolutely love! Yet I feel Samsung nailed the slight edge curve of teh S23 without affecting the absolutely flat screen.

Since you're hoping for teh UDC that affects the front display so that means we've not reached teh pinnacle of design. Just look at all the options and many are just YUCK on the front.

BTW, ZTE's RedMagic Nubia 8/8S/8 Pro and ( series all have the UDC and its decent for pics but still a bit washed out.
At this point we have reached nearly peaked design in a slab phone and once UDC reach the masses… the back of these phones will be what companies focus on. Especially with how they arrange the cameras.

What?Hold ya tongue FAM!
There is still refinement for much better quality UDC needed.
Also we still do NOThave any options for privacy screens ' of the glass from manufacturer not 3rd party.
' phones are severely private yet the screens getting ever brighter and less private. nosey people always overlooking shoulders.
having a phase screen would be sweet like what HP EliteBooks have as an option with the F2 key.

There are a few manufacturers that use too much bezel or chin on lower end phones or too rounded a shape. many get the button response wrong and thus the depth wrong ' sticking out like a sore thumb on the size.

Lookup Samsung GAUSS ' mentioned earlier in one of the samsung threads here. Samsung developed their own in house programming for AI and it looks like theyĺl be sharing information about it mroe prior to the S24 series launch .

Samsung Electronics To Showcase How Enhanced AI and Connectivity Enable Expansive Kitchen Experiences at CES 2024

I´d love to only just use the Google Maps and Password manager and avoid Chrome as I loathe the Google pop-up for every damn site that has a logon for Google to prompt me with a huge box on mhy S23 Chrome browser to use their sign in services.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Getting caught up so I'm gonna chinme in and help.

Brief story as I came from iphone. My mother turned 72 this year, I'm 50 and we've always, and Imean always butted heads since I was a lickl'yute! At a hospital visit for her everything was cool, until she mentioned notifications on her Android, I was still on iPhone 13 min very late december last year. Becaues iOSvolume can be enabled and for most people it is to control music-media volume and not affect ringtone-alarm volume we butted heads. I keep forgetting she had both a computer science and accounting scholarship when coming to Canada pregnant with me from Jamaica ' took me 10mins to figure it out swollow my technical skills pride in I.T: and apoloize. we laughed and hugged. Isuspect your notifications may be volume related, press voloume and tap the 3 elipses button at the top of teh volume slider. now check your scene as well (work, sleep, etc)to see if notifications are also affected.

The latest post from @Zito Abroad pretty much solved it for me tbh. I now have notifications with a nice visible popup no matter where I am including the always on display and a nice fancy effect to go along with it :) and FINALLY, the last few notifications sitting there visible on the AOD, so I can, just like on the iphone, just glance at the phone to see what's just arrived. As @Zito Abroad said, all doable with native stuff and a splash of good lock.

A few things really conspired to frustrate me getting to the solution.
1. I like detail in my notifications and hadn't realised that when selecting detail, it stopped other options like edgelighting etc. I don't really get why but it is what it is. Once I selected brief notifications, I had the other options.

2. Android or oneui or both have these "switches" where all I see is an on/off switch. Fine, cool, easy right? but no because some of them are straight on/off but some of them have options behind them but with no indication that they're there! This meant that I would look and see notification category "new emails" turned on but if I clicked into the switch then another screen of options appeared including things like "show in popup" which was sometimes off and explained why my notification experience was inconsistent.

Anyway, it's great now without any 3rd party apps which is wonderful :)

Sorry, it hasn't been a very s24 related post :/ but this notification "fix" means I'm very much looking forward to the next iteration :) I'm hoping for a better, finance app compliant face unlock like the pixel 8, some nice ai options particularly for photos and not looking forward to losing 10x zoom :/ I get the theory about 5x zoom with higher resolution offering a crop with more detail than the s23u 10x but I'll need to be convinced!

Anyway huge thanks to everyone on here who put up with my notification moans on various threads :)

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
The latest post from @Zito Abroad pretty much solved it for me tbh. I now have notifications with a nice visible popup no matter where I am including the always on display and a nice fancy effect to go along with it :) and FINALLY, the last few notifications sitting there visible on the AOD, so I can, just like on the iphone, just glance at the phone to see what's just arrived. As @Zito Abroad said, all doable with native stuff and a splash of good lock.

1. I like detail in my notifications and hadn't realised that when selecting detail, it stopped other options like edgelighting etc. I don't really get why but it is what it is. Once I selected brief notifications, I had the other options.

2. Android or oneui or both have these "switches" where all I see is an on/off switch. Fine, cool, easy right? but no because some of them are straight on/off but some of them have options behind them but with no indication that they're there! This meant that I would look and see notification category "new emails" turned on but if I clicked into the switch then another screen of options appeared including things like "show in popup" which was sometimes off and explained why my notification experience was inconsistent.

Sorry, it hasn't been a very s24 related post :/ but this notification "fix" means I'm very much looking forward to the next iteration :) I'm hoping for a better, finance app compliant face unlock like the pixel 8, some nice ai options particularly for photos and not looking forward to losing 10x zoom :/ I get the theory about 5x zoom with higher resolution offering a crop with more detail than the s23u 10x but I'll need to be convinced!

Anyway huge thanks to everyone on here who put up with my notification moans on various threads :)

One last thing, I have my always on display set as shown in the screenshot below. I don't need my AOD always on. Setting it to only be on for new notification is more useful for me. If I miss a new notification because I've stepped away, and later glance at my phone and see the AOD is on, I know right away that there's a notification waiting to be checked. Whereas, If my AOD is set to always on, then I'd have to look closer for the actual notification icons below the clock for any new notifications I might have missed. This is something that's not as easy to see from a distance as just checking for the whole AOD itself being on to notify of new notifications. Having the AOD set this way sort of makes the AOD like a notification LED. Hope that made sense.

Screenshot_20240102_001157_AlwaysOnDisplay.jpg

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
One last thing, I have my always on display set as shown in the screenshot below. I don't need my AOD always on. Setting it to only be on for new notification is more useful for me. If I miss a new notification because I've stepped away, and later glance at my phone and see the AOD is on, I know right away that there's a notification waiting to be checked. Whereas, If my AOD is set to always on, then I'd have to look closer for the actual notification icons below the clock for any new notifications I might have missed. This is something that's not as easy to see from a distance as just checking for the whole AOD itself being on to notify of new notifications. Having the AOD set this way sort of makes the AOD like a notification LED. Hope that made sense.

yeah nice idea thanks I'll give that a try!

At the moment I have the notistar widget on the AOD so I dont have to use the icons, I can actually see a brief notification but I agree, the way you suggest would be like the old notification led which I miss!

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
If this is true it's gonna sell alot.

3.11 a jump from 3.07 that's all width and a flat screen

It's gonna be huge, people love that and typing on most these smartphones are kinda rough

Reactions: appleappleuser

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Samsung have confirmed January 17th for the Unpacked event. I wonder what else will be announced alongside the S24 lineup. I’m interest in Samsungs AI efforts and what they have to show off about it. Hopefully matching Google’s Pixel.

Reactions: keithop

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, seems like this solution is the best for incoming notifications in OneUI. I also prefer the expanded notifications, with more info and ability to answer right away.

With the brief option you can wake the screen. Can’t understand why the other option doesn’t allow this also. I hope a future OneUI update allows for the whole screen to wake up with incoming notifications.

Still, with this option (which I already knew but, like I said, I prefer expanded notifications), I’ve seen some notifications don’t show up in the screen when they arrive. I have to check more, but still doesn’t feel perfect.

I’d also like with GoodLock to set more than 7 seconds for the incoming notification to stay in the screen. I’ve also set AOD to appear just with incoming notifications, which is very convenient indeed.

hockeyfan81

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
Officially these devices will be announced on the 17th.

On other note it doesn't seem like there's all that much hype on these phones this year.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Officially these devices will be announced on the 17th.

On other note it doesn't seem like there's all that much hype on these phones this year.
i have seen a lot of hype for the S24 so far. On twitter and YT and other sites and forums. I think you will see things ratchet up now that the holidays are over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.