Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I might have a hard look at the Purple!

950024d74785186b71dafdb70bb1e975.jpg

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The "new" design looks great, somewhat slightly refined versus S23. It seems the edges are slightly curved, just like with the iPhone 15 lineup, which feels great in hand.

Will all the lineup have titanium or only the Ultra? Don't want heavier phones. If Samsung offers great upgrade deals on release, I might consider upgrading my S23+ to the S24+ or even the Ultra. I'm very happy with my S23+, although it's not perfect (I do miss a lot having the screen wakeup when receiving notifications, just like with iPhone. There's an option in settings that shows very briefly an incoming notification on the screen, but does not light up the whole screen so I often miss them).

I do feel like the AI improvements will be mostly marketing, but I hope I'm wrong and they do make pictures and videos better. AI to improve battery life would be awesome also.

I'm also concerned the higher brightness will impact battery life and be less than S23, unless they include bigger batteries.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If Samsung offers great upgrade deals on release, I might consider upgrading my S23+ to the S24+ or even the Ultra. I'm very happy with my S23+, although it's not perfect (I do miss a lot having the screen wakeup when receiving notifications, just like with iPhone. There's an option in settings that shows very briefly an incoming notification on the screen, but does not light up the whole screen so I often miss them).
Since you have an Android phone and iPad, how do you interact with both in terms of communication and photo sharing? Do you use a different messaging platform? Google Photos for storage?

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Since you have an Android phone and iPad, how do you interact with both in terms of communication and photo sharing? Do you use a different messaging platform? Google Photos for storage?
"sendanywhere" app on android (Mac) and iOS works like airdrop

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Still trying to figure that out. I've been with the S23+ for just two months and still struggle to send files to my Mac. It's definitely not as seamless or quick as with iOS. Android File Transfer has not worked for me, so I use Samsung Smart Switch, but it seems it's not regularly updated by Samsung.

I was using previously Onedrive to backup pictures on the S23+, but it didn't work 100% perfect.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Still trying to figure that out. I've been with the S23+ for just two months and still struggle to send files to my Mac. It's definitely not as seamless or quick as with iOS. Android File Transfer has not worked for me, so I use Samsung Smart Switch, but it seems it's not regularly updated by Samsung.

I was using previously Onedrive to backup pictures on the S23+, but it didn't work 100% perfect.
Have you tried Google Photos? I set it as default for all my photos and videos from Android and iPhones. It is cross platform.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Have you tried Google Photos? I set it as default for all my photos and videos from Android and iPhones. It is cross platform.
Will have to try, thanks. I was using Onedrive so I could just use the stock gallery app. Didn't want duplicate photos apps, but if it works and syncs perfectly between devices (fending a picture in Android and syncing to iPad for example) then it would be great.

Reactions: jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

google photos all day. best way to manage all your photos if you use more than one device.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well, Nearby app on Mac works great, so one less problem, although I don't see an option to automatically accept files coming from my S23+ in the iMac.

On the other hand, glimpse app works randomly. Sometimes the screen wakes up and other times it doesn't. I did try the permanent notification option and also I put the app in the never go to sleep option in settings.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
On the other hand, glimpse app works randomly. Sometimes the screen wakes up and other times it doesn't. I did try the permanent notification option and also I put the app in the never go to sleep option in settings.

yeah sadly I've found the same... when it works it's spot on but you start to rely on it and then stops for no reason shame it's not a native option! surely it's an obvious one and easy to implement

Reactions: Sensamic

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
yeah Im still noit 100% happy with notifications and often miss them v iphone.

The app "glimpse" does help a bit https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.nullgrad.glimpse&hl=en&gl=US

Well, Nearby app on Mac works great, so one less problem, although I don't see an option to automatically accept files coming from my S23+ in the iMac.

yeah sadly I've found the same... when it works it's spot on but you start to rely on it and then stops for no reason shame it's not a native option! surely it's an obvious one and easy to implement

There is a native option. It doesn't light up the whole screen, in fact it's better. Go into settings -> Notifications -> Notification pop-up style -> Choose "brief" -> then chose Edge lighting style

Now chose whatever style and color you like. Make sure to go into advance and adjust the duration and width. For instance the following option is a good one.

Effect: Eclipse
Color: Yellow or Red
Advanced: Max width, Max duration.

Now if you really want to have some fun, go into Good Lock, and then go into Edge Lighting+. Here's where the fun starts. Turn on Set Custom Style. Now you can have your notification in all kinds of effects and style. For instance you can have popcorn with actual popcorn popping effect. Or even keep the popcorn effect, and have the app icons popping in popcorn effect. Ex, whatsapp message comes in, and you see whatsapp icons popping in popcorn style on your phone. Hilarious.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
There is a native option. It doesn't light up the whole screen, in fact it's better. Go into settings -> Notifications -> Notification pop-up style -> Choose "brief" -> then chose Edge lighting style

you're right, that IS really good tbh :)

I guess I miss the notifications staying on the "always on display" screen like they do on the iphone

...but in terms of incoming notifications that's a great fix

Now if you really want to have some fun, go into Good Lock, and then go into Edge Lighting+. Here's where the fun starts. Turn on Set Custom Style. Now you can have your notification in all kinds of effects and style. For instance you can have popcorn with actual popcorn popping effect. Or even keep the popcorn effect, and have the app icons popping in popcorn effect. Ex, whatsapp message comes in, and you see whatsapp icons popping in popcorn style on your phone. Hilarious.

yeah really brilliant :) love good lock

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
same ole Samsung...same design as last year.....man they really need to come up new designs like folding phones or flip phones.... oh wait!
Dang... forgot about those but even their foldables have the same design for 5 generations now too more or less.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Personally I like the design language Samsung has been using generally speaking. I think they have been evolving the line nicely. I do wish they would try to differentiate themselves in design from Apple instead of emulating them. Titanium was an obvious example.

Samsung needs to take a more bold approach. The problem is that it is a big risk. Keep things predictable and boring and generally don't rock the boat doesn't kill sales but it doesn't increase them either.

I think with the bar phones they are generally doing a good job. I think they need to choose more fun color options in the main line up. I think they need to drop Titanium like a hot cake and go back to aluminum armor unless they have a scratch resistant Titanium.

The purple looks good this year but I don't know something about the colors still is off to me.

I know I am in the minority but I would like to see Samsung adopt a more boxy shape to the entire line. Just having the lenses stick out for the camera is fine too but a better design for the camera arrangement would be nice. Completely flat screens across the line like Apple. This is the only thing I want them to copy. A completely flat screen is so much better on a bar phone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am not sure what people want Samsung to do with a bar phone tbh. I mean if you don't like the bar shaped phones they make flip and folding phones too. How many other flagships phones come with a pen...in the phone?

Samsung is doing the right thing this year by making the S24 Ultra a flat display and concentrating on integrating AI into the UI. They need to concentrate of the software side of things. Their hardware has been top notch. Now time to get the software caught up.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I know I am in the minority but I would like to see Samsung adopt a more boxy shape to the entire line. Just having the lenses stick out for the camera is fine too but a better design for the camera arrangement would be nice. Completely flat screens across the line like Apple. This is the only thing I want them to copy. A completely flat screen is so much better on a bar phone.
I don't see the point in Samsung adopting the boxy shape for the entire lineup... for what purpose? To stand out.

The reason why Ultra series has a boxy design is to incorporate the S-Pen, if it wasn't for the S-Pen... I don't believe Samsung would have made it that way.

I am not sure what people want Samsung to do with a bar phone tbh. I mean if you don't like the bar shaped phones they make flip and folding phones too. How many other flagships phones come with a pen...in the phone?

Samsung is doing the right thing this year by making the S24 Ultra a flat display and concentrating on integrating AI into the UI. They need to concentrate of the software side of things. Their hardware has been top notch. Now time to get the software caught up.
If there is one thing that Samsung need to really improve in regard to hardware... face unlock. I'm part of the foldable group and I know in-display fingerprint technology is the focal point for their slab phones.

But I'll like Samsung to put more resources behind face unlock technology. And I know that UDC is around the corner too (RedMagic 9 Pro has done it successfully).

Reactions: DeepIn2U and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.