Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
None of which has anything to do with a smartphone (ie: consumer technology). I don't think people want to have full-fledged conversations with their digital assistants, not least because voice is perhaps the most inefficient means of interacting with your devices (which was one of the key reasons why smart speakers failed). Besides, voice assistants has nothing to do with chatGPT.

Second, I spoke about this in another thread, but I have always opined about AI writing emails and papers for me. In summary, if the other party cannot be bothered to take the time to craft a proper paragraph for me, then why should I be expected to take the time to read and digest it? The same goes for artwork created by AI. The idea that humanity will one day not need to write or create anything ever because AI will simply do all that for them is frankly not a world I want to be in.

Third, back when I was in school, if anyone attempted to pass off someone else's work as their own, it would be considered cheating and said student could expect to fail right on the spot if this was discovered. If an AI bot can pass an exam, that probably says more about the nature of the exam (eg: does it test mere ability to recall and regurgitate facts and less of application and critical reasoning?), and it just means that how we assess and evaluate other people will have to evolve as well.

Fourth, I stand by what I said earlier about AI still suffering from a design problem. We are focusing too much on the raw technology, and not enough on how to properly package it in a manner that benefits the end user.

I have no doubt AI is revolutionising many industries as we speak. None of those aforementioned examples are going to make me opt for a google phone over an iPhone, and you know what earlier fad also sucked up tons of electricity while producing something that didn't exist? Crypto. 😉

Stick around and find out. I suspect AI in a couple of years time will look very different from today, and a lot of industry buzzwords will not stand the test of time.
No...you mean YOU..don't want to.....the data and corporate and public interest says otherwise.
AI and digital voice assistants is not specific to just ChatGPT. It not the same thing...it is expanding on everyday routines with AL. It is happening right now everywhere. You just don't know or can't comprehend it.

Even Apple says next years iPhone will be AI based.. Will you still buy it? Of course you will your only disdain for AI is when other companies use it.
The rest of the world is welcoming AI and what it can do. You state your opinion as fact..which is different that how the rest of the world feels.

Isn't funny how you turned this whole AI technology explosion into a Google thing. LOL

You have no clue what AI represents.....first comparing it to smart speakers....now its the same as crypto currency....just wow....

driven01

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
I guess I'm at a loss as to why Samsung used (or will use?) an inferior processor to Snapdragon in their European markets. I'm sure there is a reason that's just not obvious to me.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I guess I'm at a loss as to why Samsung used (or will use?) an inferior processor to Snapdragon in their European markets. I'm sure there is a reason that's just not obvious to me.

It's probably cost cutting, there is no reason why they can't use the Snapdragon in every market otherwise. The S23 Ultra has the Snapdragon chip in every market.

I'm just hoping the S24 Ultra has the Snapdragon in every market too.

Reactions: yui4 and jamezr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
As @Dave245 mention… it’s cost cutting. Obviously, they would use Snapdragon worldwide if money is no factor… but using their in-house chip helps for saving money.

The S24U is one of their most premium product… so it makes sense to place Snapdragon onto that device, but according to Samsung the exynos is capable enough for the rest of the S24 series.

Its no different from what Google and Apple is doing… Samsung is hoping that they can get to the point in placing the exynos in their premium devices.

Reactions: Dave245

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
As @Dave245 mention… it’s cost cutting. Obviously, they would use Snapdragon worldwide if money is no factor… but using their in-house chip helps for saving money.

The S24U is one of their most premium product… so it makes sense to place Snapdragon onto that device, but according to Samsung the exynos is capable enough for the rest of the S24 series.

Its no different from what Google and Apple is doing… Samsung is hoping that they can get to the point in placing the exynos in their premium devices.
I agree it is obviously a cost cutting measure on Samsung part. But what a stupid thing to do to piss piss off the customers in the regions who get Exynos by not at least cutting the cost of their model?

In my opinion the failure of Exynos can be linked to two things. The first as mentioned above. This practice of regions getting SnapDragon and some getting Exynos was a mistake if you did not offer those customers something else of value like a lower price. By doing what they did it gave people an unfair expectation and made people resent Exynos. It gave Exynos a worse reputation.

The second thing I will mention which is actually the first and biggest mistake in my opinion. Of course it is easy for me to sit back and judge when I don't have any skin in the game but this is my opinion. I think Samsung should have copied Apple this time and not only used Exynos but done so exclusively. They should have made a big switch to all of their product lines made with Exynos. This would have put a lot more pressure on Samsung to produce a good chip and they would not be able to fall back on the competition. They would either start to produce a comparable chip to Qualcomm or lose business. It is also not a good look when people can compare in real time between two exact same devices except for the processor and see what performs better in the real world.

Now Samsung is in a pickle. It has the ability to not only design a microchip but fabricate it as well. Not many other companies can do this. Even Apple and Google have outsourced fabrication. So Samsung is in a position to control the entire product stack. They can produce their own chips for probably half the cost of QC and probably less if you consider all the contractual obligations by using QC but they can't really use them without a lot of pushback and skepticism.

But Samsung wanted to play it safe. Produce an in house chip while still using SnapDragon. This way if they ever have a failure with Exynos they can fall back on QC. It makes perfect sense and seems like a smart move but it was by using Exynos along with Snapdragon in different markets without adjusting the price that led to so much ire amongst customers. It also kept them safe so they never felt if they failed they had anything to lose. If Samsung had taken a different approach and used their own chips early on and switched over they could have failed or they could have succeeded and we would have had a very different Exynos in my opinion.

There is no doubt in my mind that Samsung certainly has a long term goal of using their own silicon in their devices. I think they can absolutely reach that goal. How long it takes them depends on taking more risks. If Samsung were to really invest and push it's microchip design team, maybe get some talent from the competition, perfect it's foundry processes, then it will be a beast hard to match in terms of pure supply chain and product stack capabilities.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I agree it is obviously a cost cutting measure on Samsung part. But what a stupid thing to do to piss piss off the customers in the regions who get Exynos by not at least cutting the cost of their model?
Its actually to do with the USA's CDMA networks.

Qualcomm hold a lot of patents for 5G CDMA modems which Samsung would have to pay a lot of money to licence for the US market. Its actually cheaper for them to just build handsets using the Snapdragon than it is to pay them patent fees. This is also why Google have based their Tensor chip on Exynos for international standardisation.

Because other countries use GSM Samsung can save a few bob and use their own chips. But you won't ever see an Exynos phone in the USA. I can't imagine anyone actually wants them because, well they suck.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

Qualcomm hold a lot of patents for 5G CDMA modems which Samsung would have to pay a lot of money to licence for the US market. Its actually cheaper for them to just build handsets using the Snapdragon than it is to pay them patent fees. This is also why Google have based their Tensor chip on Exynos for international standardisation.

Because other countries use GSM Samsung can save a few bob and use their own chips. But you won't ever see an Exynos phone in the USA. I can't imagine anyone actually wants them because, well they suck.

That all makes sense. However, I have a Tensor based phone using a Samsung modem and I don't have a problem using Verizon CDMA or any GSM carrier? So even despite these patents they have managed to make something work. And Tensor is essentially Exynos in the US and you are probably right about it's popularity.

Apple is still working on a modem for their chips even though officially they have dropped out. 6g is around the corner so do those same patents apply?

The other thing is the majority of people in the US are on a GSM carrier either AT&T or T-Mobile and the rest are on Verizon.

Anyway I am no expert on this topic. I am sure you know more than I do. I am curious if the same patents Qualcomm has for 5g modems would apply to 6g? And how many versions of this mobile standard for modems are tied to Qualcomm?

Doesn't Mediatek have its own modem but I am not sure about CDMA. That is probably why most Chinese OEM phones are GSM only. Interesting.

skriefal

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Utah, USA

Qualcomm hold a lot of patents for 5G CDMA modems which Samsung would have to pay a lot of money to licence for the US market.

But CDMA is dead in the USA. Other than a few small regional networks - who are also shutting down CDMA. The same is true for GSM. Everything is LTE/4G now, or NR/5G. This might have been a factor in the past - but no longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't think this is entirely based/focused on cost cutting.

TSMC's 3NM fabrication allotment for 2023 into 2QTR 2024 was taken up 70% by Apple before October 2023 - news already shown a huge increased order from Apple confirming this (one just has to search). That means Qualcomm had to split their orders (remember they fulfill all orders of their licensees be it Oppo, ZTE's Nubia brand, Samsung, etc) - between TSMC and to Qualcomm.

Strange that Qualcomm is both a partner in terms of client and payee. Apparantly Samsung's fabs make 4nm versions of the SnapDragon 8 Gen 3 just like TSMC's. This is why early weeks news bytes that Qualcomm's 8 Gen 4 orders will be handled by TSMC exclusively. This isn't to satisfy sure quality of frabrication numbers (since its cheaper to have failed or marred SoC from 100% quality by Samsung than on TSMC) but also to keep Samsung from learning more about Qualcomm's SoC designs to bleed into Samsung's Exynos SoC brand/lineup.

Remember, TSMC only competes with their Fabs with other Fabs, not their clients. Samsung IS an SoC competitor - the better they get the more looks from Qualcomm's clients will goto them. AND the 8 Gen 4 will share core internals from Qualcomm's X Elite dekstop/laptop architecture - this is at least 2yrs ahead than anyone but Apple - but Apple is not a competitor for Windows or Linux really. AMD, NVidia will be competiros in 2025.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
But CDMA is dead in the USA. Other than a few small regional networks - who are also shutting down CDMA. The same is true for GSM. Everything is LTE/4G now, or NR/5G. This might have been a factor in the past - but no longer.
Yes, I too initially was going to say this, yet I also know ..

Qualcomm has patents for WCDMA, LTE and 5G along with the network hardware migration from CDMA to WCDMA to 4G (aka HSPA/HSDPA) and onward to 5G and soon 6G. Here in Canada both Telus Mobility (formerly MikeNET) and Bell Mobility were based on CDMA and migrated to WCDMA then onto WCDMA/4G. Network allocations have been closed and sold off for emergency services as both share their networks across Canada which I'm sure the USA did as well.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"Air vents moved to the top S Pen flat The buttons are thicker"
^ I don't see any 'air vents' on the top at all nor on the bottom. What on earth are 'Air Vents' this leaker is talking about, lol. translation failure?

The long body cross section seems to show either a screen protector (thick) onto the S24U or that the screen protrudes outwardly from the body of the S24U ... and I'm noping that is NOT the case because it makes no sense to do this.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I haven’t checked all pics but is it a strong rumour that the screen on the ultra will be flat this time?

Reactions: jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
There were benchmarks which showed the SD8 gen 2 performed better than the new Exynos. Big letdown.
Until Samsung starts using 3nm most likely next year then we should see improvement.

Of course Exynos is behind SD 8 gen 3. I don't buy that it is behind the 8 gen 2 since the Tensor G3 is close to 8 gen 2 so the next gen Exynos has to be better than the latest Tensor?

Everyone loves to hate Exynos or anything other than TSMC. I get it. You pay good money, you want the best. If Samsung would pass the savings of using Exynos over Snapdragon to the customer then maybe people wouldn't be so upset.

However at the same time I think Exynos chips are improving if Tensor G3 is anything to judge. Again we are not winning benchmarks with the Tensor but at least the G3 is a lot more efficient, doesn't thermally throttle when you look at it wrong and has better cell reception and battery life. All significant improvements along with much better performance over the previous generation.

Once Samsung moves to 3nm I feel like they might have much more competitive chips.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Rumours/leaks are saying SD for the S24 Ultra but Exynos for the S24 and S24+

Apparently if you’re in Europe you are definitely getting Exynos in your S24 unless you buy the Ultra. North America and parts of Asia get SD in all versions. Typical crappy treatment of the global market by Samsung.

Reactions: robvalentine

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Rumours/leaks are saying SD for the S24 Ultra but Exynos for the S24 and S24+

There were benchmarks which showed the SD8 gen 2 performed better than the new Exynos. Big letdown.

Apparently if you’re in Europe you are definitely getting Exynos in your S24 unless you buy the Ultra. North America and parts of Asia get SD in all versions. Typical crappy treatment of the global market by Samsung.

Lots of mixed rumours abound about which region will get Exynos 2400 vs SD 8gen 3 SoC's so cannot definitively state one or the other - again rumors are exactly that and only.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Lots of mixed rumours abound about which region will get Exynos 2400 vs SD 8gen 3 SoC's so cannot definitively state one or the other - again rumors are exactly that and only.

There is a large agreement that the S24 Ultra will get Snapdragon world wide, the S24 and S24+ are the ones that will get the Exynos. Nothing is 100% until Samsung announce it, but the leakers all seem to agree.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is a large agreement that the S24 Ultra will get Snapdragon world wide, the S24 and S24+ are the ones that will get the Exynos. Nothing is 100% until Samsung announce it, but the leakers all seem to agree.
Sorry but a few top leaders are saying the S24 and S24+ in some regions (N.America) are getting the SD 8gen 3 and eaten Europe and Korea getting the Exynos.

This is mostly driven on supply constraints for the SD as Samsung is also fabricating it alongside if tsmc.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Sorry but a few top leaders are saying the S24 and S24+ in some regions (N.America) are getting the SD 8gen 3 and eaten Europe and Korea getting the Exynos.

This is mostly driven on supply constraints for the SD as Samsung is also fabricating it alongside if tsmc.

Sorry, I didn’t explain that properly. What I meant was that all leakers are agreeing, the S24 Ultra will be getting the Snapdragon. The S24 and S24+ look to be mixed after some more recent reports.

Reactions: jamezr

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The S24 Ultra has the potential to be the best so far, with the tweaked design and all new AI features. I'm just hoping they keep the battery life the same or even better. The camera specs might not seem that much of an improvement on paper, but the new AI might make up for it. I do hope there are some improvements on the 200mp camera tho, in particular after taking the shot it does process for a good 20 seconds, hopefully Samsung have reduced that time.

Price wise leaks and rumours are saying that the S24 Ultra will be priced the same as the S23 Ultra, no price increase is always good news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.