Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Bulky, ugly and overpriced
I just looked up the reviews for this case on Amazon and they are not good either.

Here's link to the reviews for this case.
Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 8.43.10 PM.png

https://www.amazon.com/Speck-Produc...698&sr=1-11&keywords=speck+iphone+7+plus+case

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Sam's Club is selling Speck CandyShell for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus in the same colors as the Presidio for about $20 dollars. looks the same to me?

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
To be clear, I'm not a fan of Speck cases, but those reviews are idiotic.

I've never read so many dumb and baseless reviews in one place. Props to Speck customer service for keeping their cool.
I understand your point of your. But I was able to see the new updated clear iphone 7 plus clear case at Bestbuy and it felt just as good as the one that Speak made for Iphone 6s. In addition, I also was able to see the Presidio case and I'm not a fan of it either. But I'm a big fan of the candyshell grip cases, I have about 4 of their cases right now for my Iphone 6.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
To be clear, I'm not a fan of Speck cases, but those reviews are idiotic.

I've never read so many dumb and baseless reviews in one place. Props to Speck customer service for keeping their cool.

What's wrong with the reviews?

1) not grippy
2) looks/feels cheap
3) poor quality/fit
4) overpriced

Seems like legit concerns to me.

Shame on Speck for selling some China Commie made garbage for a less than a buck for $40. Only in America!

Last edited:
Reactions: determined09

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009

1) not grippy
2) looks/feels cheap
3) poor quality/fit
4) overpriced

Shame on Speck for selling some China Commie made garbage for a less than a buck for $40. Only in America!
I agree 100%!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

1) not grippy
2) looks/feels cheap
3) poor quality/fit
4) overpriced

1.) grip - legit gripe
2.) looks/feels _____ - subjective
3.) poor quality - how so? Why? No one said. They just complained it was different.
4.) All Speck cases are for what you get. Shame on them for buying it to begin with.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
1.) grip - legit gripe
2.) looks/feels _____ - subjective
3.) poor quality - how so? Why? No one said. They just complained it was different.
4.) All Speck cases are for what you get. Shame on them for buying it to begin with.

It's one of the highest quality cases available right now that is made out of plastic. It's also actually an improvement over the original Grip case with that glossy plastic that easily scratches and collected fingerprints. People need to see what a case that costs $5 on eBay feels like in comparison. Of course it's overpriced.

Reactions: miss.manson

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It's one of the highest quality cases available right now that is made out of plastic. It's also actually an improvement over the original Grip case with that glossy plastic that easily scratches and collected fingerprints. People need to see what a case that costs $5 on eBay feels like in comparison. Of course it's overpriced.
One of the best? If you say so. :-/

I can't compare this Speck to others because I don't buy them. They always seem like cheap quality, over-priced cases pushed on soccer moms by cellular store reps working on commission.

That being said, so many idiots claiming this case sucks because it isn't as glossy and doesn't feel the same is beyond stupid.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
they are over priced and the colors are boring. but I buy them for the grip most of all and that part has improved every generation. I remember I think it was the 6 where the ribs peeled off the first week. If I found better colors with the same grip I would go for it. I used to use silicone cases but they never held up. I need super grippy or I drop my phone.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
One of the best? If you say so. :-/

I can't compare this Speck to others because I don't buy them. They always seem like cheap quality, over-priced cases pushed on soccer moms by cellular store reps working on commission.

That being said, so many idiots claiming this case sucks because it isn't as glossy and doesn't feel the same is beyond stupid.
Compared to the vast amounts of cases out there for the same price, yes it's one of the better ones you can get. Of course pricing will drop significantly in the coming weeks/months. A Rolex is also an overpriced retail item.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Overpriced? iOS accessories are all overpriced, some to a much greater extent than others. Even with Apple's MFi cut, Lightning cables don't warrant $10-20 price tags. The $50 glass screen protectors many here happily buy? Nuts. They probably have a healthy margin even selling at $10.

But that's why, despite the gazillion products out there, many of which are practically indistinguishable from one another, there are still companies jumping in. The business can be good, and there is money to be made.

I took at a look at the Presidio Grip while at BB, though I didn't pull it out of the package. It appears to meet, and improves upon Speck's standards. The moldings are clean, and sharp, with no leftover flashing. The switch from the scratch prone, smooth glossy plastic to a slightly textured satin finish is a step up. They're among the better made cases, and unless things have suddenly changed, Taiwan, where much of their product is made, is not a Communist country. They also have US-based support that actually provides support.

Samsonite didn't buy Speck for $85 million because they are, or make crap.

That said, would I pay $45 for one? No, when Speck cases end up along with others at discount department stores like TJ Maxx and Ross selling for $10. That's where I've bought my Grips.

Reactions: miss.manson

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Compared to the vast amounts of cases out there for the same price, yes it's one of the better ones you can get. Of course pricing will drop significantly in the coming weeks/months. A Rolex is also an overpriced retail item.
Agreed on pricing.

Though, that may just be the worst comparison I've ever seen on MRF. Speck to Rolex? o_O I understand that you want to defend the views of your website, but, no.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
this case feels cheap? the colors are "boring"?

first of all, there's no way this feels cheap if you're comparing it to other cases. It's a premium feel. and as for boring colors, this black/black design is all i've ever wanted from a speck case and they always had to have some goofy off color on the grip for their cases. bugged the hell out of me.

My 6 Plus spent most of its days in a (now beat to hell) Candyshell Grip that proved to be worth its price. I just got this 7 Plus and i wanted a case that made the phone feel secure. 45 bucks for peace of mind is pretty damned cheap.

Srbell67

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2010
Long time Speck user and bought BOTH the grip and clear presidio cases for my 7 plus at BB.

The cases are improved from speck's previous versions. The cases are noticeably slimmer, lighter and the grip part on the grip version is not as "sticky" as it was w the candyshell as to not make it catch the fabric in one's pocket.

Speck's cases have always been pricey, but get cheaper on Amazon over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.