The unofficial "I'm NOT waiting for arrandale!" thread...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Druean, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Druean macrumors member

Druean

Something to fight the storm. For all those people who have enough of a life to go without the 20% cpu upgrade! But still have purchased one of the best laptops to date! The 'Current Macbook Pro' !

2. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

i'm waiting.

i plan to future-proof my investment with a 17" i7 Badboy Pro.

3. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

Yea.. your in the wrong thread then.

4. umiwangu macrumors 6502

There are two groups of people who buy these laptops: those who are waiting for the next upgrade in order to purchase (no matter how small the upgrade) and those who don't really care and will be content with whatever they get (read = content with current Mac hardware).

Thankfully I'm forced into the latter category and don't have much of a choice (living overseas). I just got a refurb MBP 13" and I'm very happy with it. A huge upgrade over my 3 year-old MB.

5. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

I don't think its completely true that the latter group are happy with whatever they get :rolleyes: I mean I wouldn't consider HP or Dell in any which way! People who buy mbps are most definately not the ones who are happy with anything.

6. smc333 macrumors regular

I want/need one now, so I plan to buy one tomorrow. I can live without the newest tech, these are solid, and god knows if quad core laptops may have a buggy first round.

A Mac is more than having the most raw power

7. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I meant happy with whatever Mac they got. Basically being content with what Mac hardware is current, and not thinking they have to wait for another 6 months to get the newest tech (and then waiting another 6 months because more new tech comes out).

8. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Exactly.

9. masterpace macrumors regular

Raw power matters too

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I'm keeping my 13" MBP. It's nice for what it is. For the rest, I've just bought a Alienware M15x. Blows any Mac out of the water, specs and design wise.

10. DavidG328 macrumors regular

I got the futurest proof 13" BadBoy Pro a few weeks ago.

11. umiwangu macrumors 6502

M15x? How much did you pay for that thing?

12. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

< Quality

Ah I see, sorry to misinterpret. :p

13. JajoPGH macrumors regular

I currently have a 2.53 15 inch.

I would love to get the anticipated model, but know I really have no use for the upgrade power, do I? According to iStatPro, never is my idle CPU usage less than 80%, and my RAM usage is never more than 2Gigs.

Now, I would love to get the new one, especially if they change the design, but I don't think I need it now.

14. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

I wouldn't worry about a design change, it may be a year or 2 before we see that. But your comment on the fact your cpu usage is less than 80% speaks volumes and its right that you acknowledge that rather than run with the best of best, newest of the newest crowd! :)

15. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I laughed at the waiting for arrandale thread 2 months ago when I bought my 13".

16. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

:cool: I like your style.

17. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Great thread !!!
    Why would you do without? Who needs all those cores when you use an average of 2-3 programs at a time. Get one NOW and enjoy!!!:cool:

18. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

Cheers bud :D

This thread will hopefully turn into a big reality check for its evil twin!

19. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Hilarious.

20. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

Exactly I am gonna future proof too, plan on going 64 gigs of shambo-ram! you might want to call it...shambo-rambo! that'll last me what like 10-20,000 years? hell yeah! its future proofed to the max.

21. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

Maybe he's beginning to get the picture now lol.

22. fs454 macrumors 65816

The point is that Apple's competitors have better performing laptops for almost half the price as what is being offered.

I can't buy now because it's a simple pissing away of money. Buying old tech for new tech price.

23. Druean thread starter macrumors member

Druean

I disagree, apple's competitors have better hardware specs! However Windows lets all that go to waste with laggy anti-virus software, etc that destroys the performance. OSX is essentially the reason for buying a mac, and apple provides the best hardware to run it, simple. As for buying old tech for new prices, if you want apple and you want it now you have to pay, in my opinion its clearly worth it.

24. fs454 macrumors 65816

It's an illogical buy, through and through. Yeah, Windows sucks, but if you know what you're doing you don't exactly need to run heavy anti-virus crap and even when you do, an i7 620QM quad core and a new video card will still kick the living crap out of a C2D and 9400+9600GT setup, for less money.

I am 100% Apple, but what strikes me as odd is that in general the users go against all buying logic that makes any sense. What you're saying makes sense up to a point. Right now, there's a biiig generational gap, which would be fine if Apple wasn't charging the same price they were 8 months ago.

I'm not sure how it doesn't bother you to drop two and a half thousand dollars on something that will be updated within the month, and will be updated to significantly outperform your purchase for the same price. You are getting no value out of the buy. I'm curious what you not-waiting folks are using your computers for, where a speed and value increase does not matter.

It's illogical and foolish to buy right now.

:edit: Where I'm coming from: I need a new MBP, I have a 2007 Santa Rosa 15" MBP with a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo. This machine has been used very very heavily over its life and is now in "well used" physical condition. I also need a higher resolution display for my HD video work. I'd also like a speed increase, because I really suffer when rendering video compared to my Mac Pro.

If I bought now, the performance increase would not exist. A Penryn C2D gives me what, 5% increase clock for clock? The 9600M GT video card is a die shrink of what I already have. The only thing I gain is my increased resolution and new, delicious build quality. For $2700. If I wait, I get a 30%+ increase, better, and hopefully more reliable video card, and whatever else they decide to add.

To each his own I guess.

25. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I'm with you guys! Who likes progress and development, people must be crazy!? Please let this current technology remain stagnant for as long as possible