The "waiting for my Mac Pro with 8800GT to ship" thread..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kingsly, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I'm stuck here on the only computer I have at the moment - my iPhone - and got bored. For my own sanities sake, I really hope apple's shipping estimate is wayyy liberal.

At least this way we can all wallow in sorrow together... :eek:

2. viltsu macrumors member

I´m Under Review, because they haven´t got my funds yet. I´ll update my Order Status here when it change. :)

3. dblester macrumors member

i have not ordered mine yet im waiting for my ADC status to get verified and for MWSF to see if i want to add anything to my order :)

4. Norco macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat, only 5 days left to wait, although its a killer!

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did you go for 4 or 8 cores?

6. viltsu macrumors member

We estimate your order to be shipped on or before 14 Feb, 2008.

How about others?

7. viltsu macrumors member

2.8 8-core, with 8800GT and AirPort.

8. fernmeister macrumors regular

9. Sergei macrumors newbie

Well, after waiting and waiting and waiting, I guess I have to wait some more. I too went for the 8800 GT.

Which is the sensible choice, I think, as it is the best card on the market. But the wait... is... killing me.

But here's why we wait:
    It's not a supply issue. It's a software issue. OSX 10.5.2 contains the drivers necessary to run the 8800, that's the cause of the delay. When OSX 10.5.2 is released, the Pros are unleashed.

So, it won't (or is unlikely to) be 3-5 weeks, but it won't be pre MWSF either.

Cheers.

10. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Hmm, the wheels in my head are still turning on this thought, but this makes sense... i first thought it was a supply issue or that the chip hadn't come out yet, and then I was thinking that the firmware (not the Apple drivers) were still be touched up. But I guess it makes sense that its depended on a 10.5.2 update simply because folks with older Mac Pros will want them immediately and apple won't have a driver released until after the MWSF.

I sure hope not. I too am waiting on this thing. Let's hope after Valentines there won't be any more holds on new Mac Pro purchases.

11. viltsu macrumors member

This sounds reasonable to me.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

For those waiting for the 8800 but not gamers or people who do 3D-modeling, I would suggest you will really be fine with the ATI. Wait if you want, but why bother if you aren't going to ever leverage the strengths of the card over the ATI?

13. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

I ordered mine the first day then realized I wanted different options. Canceled and reordered the next day. They wouldn't just make the changes keeping me in the que at the same place. Arghhh....Oh well. Shipping was delayed by one day. Which seems to mean the shipping time is fairly accurate. Or atleast based upon which day you order. Originally set to ship by Feb 13 then cancelled, reordered and now set to ship by Feb 14.

14. trollking macrumors member

trollking

Same boat as you guys. I do a lot of 3d work so the 8800 was a must... although i did spend about ten minutes clicking the ati button and then the 8800 button on the website watching the estimate shipping time change....:(

On my order status it does specifically say 'Ships Feb 13.... Delivered Feb 14'

As I recall though the estimates on delivery time tends to be on the high side. Which of course is good marketing, for one if something goes wrong and two if it only takes two and a half weeks you get the feeling of 'yay how great it got here early' which wouldn't be there if the estimated shipdate was 2 and a half weeks.

What can I say I am bitter lol.

I'm actually not freaking out too much as it gives me time to decide what I want to do about ram... oh and a new power back up.... and speakers.... oh and what software I need to update.... how to arrange my desk.... should I get the 30 inch display.... etc etc

:D

15. GarthAlgar macrumors member

GarthAlgar

It gave me a delivery date of Feb. 19th (I did free shipping).

I've never bought a computer from Apple, so I'm praying that the estimate is very liberal. Once Leopard gets updated, I hope the delivery time drops.

I know it's wishful thinking, but considering the power of this machine, the 8800GT should have been standard.

16. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Ordered today the card to a 06 MP from apple store.

First the delivery time was 7-10 days.
    When order was placed it stated that :
    estimated shipping time 22th of.jan
    estimated date of arrival 24th of jan.

Running Tiger atm so intresting to see if the leopard is mandatory.

Nice one from apples behalf that they didnt mention any other recuirements than MacPro..

17. timestamp macrumors 6502

Wow Sergei. You make a good point. I hope that is the case!

18. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

So does this mean you are officially waiting for the 8800GT? I am giving in. Going to pick mine up today. Don't need the 512 graphics yet, I will wait and purchase it later down the road. I need my MacPro now, and I'm going to get it.

19. timestamp macrumors 6502

I have the time to wait. Plus, I am pretty sure the ship dates will be much sooner.

It is more than 512MB, the thing is way faster and is worth it for me to wait for it. Rather than paying $350 for it later.

20. bigbird macrumors 6502

Just re-ordered. I cancelled a single quad 2.8, 8800GT, wi-fi and ordered a dual quad 2.8, 8800GT, and wi-fi. Add me to the official waiting list.

21. Just sayin... macrumors member

3.2, 8800, 2GB RAM, 1 TB HD:

MAC PRO CTO
    Custom configured
    Ships by: Feb 13
    Delivers by: Feb 19

That'll give Apple plenty of time to update the OS to 10.5.2, update the ACD's, and for the 3rd party vendors to stock up on 800 mhz memory.

22. Will G. macrumors member

It's been six years since my last desktop Mac - and I've wanted a new one for some time now - so for me, getting everything I wanted (8800gt graphics) was the obvious choice, even if it does increase the ship time.

I really hope it comes before 3-5 weeks though.

23. rcgrabbag macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac convert from the PC world. Just ordered my Penryn 3.2 dual quad. I went with the Radeon card but ordered the 8800 GT separately. I figure I'll just ebay the Radeon when the 8800 arrives. My delivery date for the computer is next week, but the card is early March.

24. absolution macrumors member

I ordered the 2.8 octo with the 8800, 2 GB of RAM and a 320 GB HDD. As for delivery, my invoice says: "Ships by: Feb 14, Delivers by: Feb 20." I hope to God it's sooner than that, although it makes some sense that they need to finalize the 10.5.2 release with the driver update for the 8800 before they can ship them.

25. ggk macrumors newbie

Also hoping for a faster shipping

I ordered today with the 8800GT. Ships by: Feb 15