Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I'm about ready to order a 2.8 dual quad and a 30" Apple display. My primary use is Photoshop CS3. Will be adding non-Apple memory to 8MB and additional drives. Is it worth the $ and wait for the 8800 video card if purchasing the 30" monitor?

No, it wouldn't give you any better performance. Get the ATI and get your machine now.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Fingers crossed that some major changes occur this Tuesday. i.e. 10.5.2. :rolleyes:

Having just an iPhone is getting really annoying. All I need to do now is decide whether I want to save money and get a 20" ACD or take out a loan against myself and get a 30" ACD. :D

clonewar

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
I'm in the club too.. ordered yesterday, my 'Ship By' date is 2/20. This is going to be painful.. maybe we'll get a suprise at Macworld.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
If you're interested in comparing the ATI HD2600XT, nVidia 8800GT, and a bunch of other video cards, Tom's Hardware offers a comprehensive table consisting of various benchmarks (all gaming benchmarks on PC though).

Here's the overall frames per second score. The two bars in blue are the 2600XT and 8800GT -- the closest ones to what's in the new Mac Pro.

pfleischman

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
I placed my order, seems good?

I ordered my macpro on the 10th and here is what they said:

Not yet shipped Product / Part No. Qty
MAC PRO CTO
Z0EM 1
Custom configuration| Show Hide
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
2GB (2x1GB)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb
One 16x SuperDrive
APPLE WIRELESS MIGHTY MOUSE
WIRELESS KEYBD/ OS X
Country Kit

Ships by: Feb 15
Delivers by: Feb 21

Are they telling the truth?

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada

Are you implying that Apple is lying to you for some reason? Do you think Apple would just arbitrarily make up a ship date out of the blue?

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Are you implying that Apple is lying to you for some reason? Do you think Apple would just arbitrarily make up a ship date out of the blue?

Well quite often they ship sooner. I think the key is 10.5.2, after that all systems go.

GarthAlgar

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
Here and There

Not yet shipped Product / Part No. Qty
MAC PRO CTO
Z0EM 1
Custom configuration| Show Hide
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
2GB (2x1GB)
One 16x SuperDrive
WIRELESS KEYBD/ OS X
Country Kit

I hope not. Basically, it seems that upgrading to the 8800 GT automatically puts your shipping date five weeks after your ordering date. I ordered on the day of the new MacPro's release, and I got a delivery date of Feb. 19th.

My hope is that after MacWorld, it's revealed that the 8800GT will start shipping much faster, because frankly I can't wait until the middle of February.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
I hope not. Basically, it seems that upgrading to the 8800 GT automatically puts your shipping date five weeks after your ordering date. I ordered on the day of the new MacPro's release, and I got a delivery date of Feb. 19th.

My hope is that after MacWorld, it's revealed that the 8800GT will start shipping much faster, because frankly I can't wait until the middle of February.

When I ordered my MBP we had a 3-5 week shipping delay due to the 7200RPM drive, it did come early. However, it did still take a while.

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I hope you're right. We've been waiting long enough.

It doesn't make sense otherwise. I mean, it seems they had no issue getting the CPUs even though those were supposedly having a shortage.

I hope I am right too, as I don't want to wait until next month. I haven't even ordered mine yet because I am waiting for displays. I will be ordering Tuesday though.

Jupeman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
I ordered a machine on 1/8 (when the new ones were announced) with the 8800GT. I decided ~$120 was worth getting the machine a month earlier (I, too, have been waiting a long time), so today I cancelled my order and re-ordered with the ATI. I put in an order for the 8800GT upgrade kit, so we'll see the card in March - about two months after I start using my new Mac Pro!

Still, I'll be waiting another 2 weeks for this machine (the RAID card seems to drive a bit of a delay).

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
My hope is that after MacWorld, it's revealed that the 8800GT will start shipping much faster

I can't understand why, if Apple gives a ship date of mid-February, that many people think it will ship much sooner. What are they basing this premonition on? Am I missing something here?

exspes

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
I can't understand why, if Apple gives a ship date of mid-February, that many people think it will ship much sooner. What are they basing this premonition on? Am I missing something here?

Well, the order estimate is 3-5 weeks, which seems like a generic "later" estimate.

The shipping dates given are exactly 5 weeks from the order date. Which implies they're no accurate indication, simply a rough guess.

People also expect that 10.5.2 is required to ship 8800 loaded macs due to drivers.

People also expect 10.5.2 to be released as MWSF because releasing it early would allow people perusing system files to find references to brand new hardware announcing at MW, thus spoiling the surprise.

Regardless, in less than 2 days, we find out for sure, eh?

TripleCore

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
I ordered an octo today Jan 18:

Ships by: Feb 26
Delivers by: Mar 3

This puts fulfillment at over 5 weeks! NVidia is really lagging here!

An Apple person at the MacWorld booth said NVidia are going as fast as they can producing these. I hope they are getting more than 20 new cards out in a day..

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
I'm in the club, waiting for a 3ghz with 8800, ram and HD already waiting at home..

Anyway, people need to understand that it's not only gamers that need a good gfx-card, Motion, Aperture etc. also uses the graphic-card, Motion being the main reason I'm getting it.

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007

When I was in highschool, my parents ordered the the Dual 500MHz G4 Tower the week it came out and the Titanium 500MHz G4 PowerBook sometime during the first few weeks. Both had long shipping times because new G4 chips from Motorola were always produced in low supply because they wouldn't make many more than were ordered by Apple (I think I remember something about an earthquake wherever the G4 plant was when the tower came out too). In both cases ship times were estimated at about a month, and both computers were shipped earlier. This leads me (and others who have experienced this) to believe that Apple is overly conservative with their shipping estimates so that costumers are relieved when it comes early instead of disapointed when in comes late.

Jonny427

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Orange County, CA
Its always better to underpromise and overdeliver than overpromise and underdeliver...

Look at newegg, their conservative shipping dates usually mean their stuff arrives a day early, much to the delight of its customers.

Vampiresoup

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Toronto
ship

I ordered mine through a 3rd party vendor cause I wanted to give my buddy a sale. Says it's shipping on Feb 13th. Boourns.

ComeOnDieYoung

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
All In

Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
2GB (2x1GB)
One 16x SuperDrive
WIRELESS KEYBD/ OS X
Country Kit

Ships by: Feb 26
Delivers by: Mar 3

yikes

it would be nice to enjoy some instant gratification for a purchase that will put me in financial misery... but alas... what can you do.

Could really use it for this animation project I have due in May, sooner better than later.

Purchased some 8gb of Netlist RAM... could've waited... should have probably.

Still looking at monitors... need something at least 1920x1080, it's so hard to trust reviews because people are so black and white about them, Love the Hate them.

That is all.:apple:

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
The only reason I think it may ship earlier than the ship date listed is that we were all quoted "3-5 weeks" until shipment. The date they put down was 5 weeks. So, that still leaves them the option of shipping up to 2 weeks earlier if they get the components. That would put mine shipping Feb. 1 instead of Feb. 14, though I doubt it will ship before Feb. 1, but hoping it will ship before the 14th.

LOZER

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
The only reason i want it is for photography, I dont care about games. Aperture is slow enough and when 2.0 hits that would suck without a better GFX card. I guess i'd have to go to lightroom more cpu less gpu.

alesse

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Ordered: Jan 15
Ships By: Feb 21
Delivers By: Feb 27

Man, a month to wait. It's really hard when you're a person used to instant gratification. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.