The Walking Dead Comic (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Huntn, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm starting to talk alot about the comic in the TV Show thread so I broke this off for a separate thread dedicated to what is happening in the comic... For those new to the conversation there is a dedicated Walking Dead TV Show thread here.

I've always detested DRM. I just looked at those comixology links. I see references to downloading, but people asking about backing up their files. If I sign up for comics at comixology on my Mac, (not the comixology ipad app) and purchase a comic for download, in what form does it appear on my Mac? Based on the discussion on those links, I assume it is not a file that I can backup such as a .cbr file? And/or am I expected to view it online? Thanks!

Looks like Image Comics is the place... :)
    Walking Dead Series at Image Comics.

Spoilers!

I'm at Issue 112 and just saw the first thing I questioned- when Rick and his group all get their guns shot out of their hands by Negan's forces. Had a hard time buying it, maybe it's possible, but I'd think if Rick had his gun on Negan, they'd just shoot Rick, not try to shoot the gun out of his hands, unless they had specific orders not to kill him....

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

yup.... I couldn't agree more with this. I was like "come on".........

Image comics does seem like the way to go if you like image comics! Which I happen to love! The inability to download my comics and have them backed up etc, is one thing that steered me away from comixology.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That Black Kiss 2 Holiday Edition image caught my eye at Image Comics, woah! :D

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I reread it and think it made sense with Negan's business model. He wants Rick in place.

Same reason he killed Spencer outright for trying to subvert Rick in 111 and didn't touch Carl.

JMO.

B

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Oh it does, but for some reason all I could think of was the Western movie with Kevin Costner where he practices shooting the guns out of peoples hands.

Oh I know he wants Rick alive and Rick knows this too!

So what do both of you think of the comic book art in the latest editions?

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I understand that. But I still find it far fetched that 3 people would get their guns shot out of their hands simo. And what it really means is that Negan is willing to forfeit his life to keep Rick in place. It's like "if Rick is about to kill me, instead of shooting him, be sure to shoot the gun out of his hands." I don't buy that, but it has not ruined the series for me. When Rick momentarily got the upper hand on Negan, I was disappointed, like this was too easy, but of course, the tide turned as guns were being shot out of people's hands. :p

I've read the series in a compresses period and I can't say the art has changed in a significant manner since the start. It might not be the most polished comic art out there, but I like it. :)

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

These last few issues have seemed to be very rushed and the art to me is not as good. Now granted the art has not been the best but then again it really didn't need to be. I don't know, it really struck me on this last issue (116).

From what I am hearing this arc is an eleven issue arc. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

So the big fight is going to take a year to complete... things happen slowly in the comic world of TWD. :)

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I know the last three have been released within weeks of each other. So I am hoping they will not take all year to finish this one.

Update:

Looks like it is 12 issues:

Found the schedule here:

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Walking_Dead_Issues

115: October 9th, 2013
    116: November 13th, 2013
    117: November 27th, 2013
    118: December 11th, 2013
    119: January 8, 2014
    120: January 22, 2014
    121: February 12, 2014
    122: February 26, 2014
    123: March 12, 2014
    124: March 26, 2014
    125: April 9, 2014
    126: Finale April 23, 2014

Of course the dates are subject to change... :D

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Hmm, I was under the misimpression it was a monthly release...

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This might explain why it feels rushed in some of the art, because I was always under the impression it was too.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Remember that Eugene, the scientist had to get to DC to talk to authorities? That seems to have been set aside. I mean they were there for a while before this Negan issue arose...?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The acceleration was announced in September.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47867

B

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Issue 116: Rick's Plan- "Give up, we'll spare your families and kill only you and your thugs!"

I'd buy that, lol. :p The thing is that Rick's group would never kill the families any way. Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the series...

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Tartar sauce. The show is on break and #116 is only $1.99 on comiXology so far. Sigh maybe the next one will be my experiment with buying direct from image.

B

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Image Comics for me. I want my own indestructible copy , not some stink'n license. :)

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My favorite frame in #116. "I thought it was more."

B

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Just picked up #116 for my months pull........... I agree about Image app, I want my own copy also.

20. Huntn, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm at Issue 127, listed at TWD Wiki as 2 years later. Maybe I'm impatient, but what about Eugene and his mission? Is that still in the works or is it just laying there? I've not finished 127 yet. Jumping ahead 2 years is brilliant. I wonder what this portends for the show? :)

I'm pretty good at suspension of disbelief, but still i have to wonder 3 years after the apolacylpse how the environment could support huge herds of zombies? It does not appear that these things can starve to death, which they surely would in a realistic setting, unless we are talking of dark magic? ;) They don't appear to eat each other which I believe would be a necessity

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I can't remember if is is 127 or 128, but the last pane of the comic, was there something about "they can talk"....?

I believe this is the start of the next arc...

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Do they say "feed me...."? ;) It was not in 127. I'm on 128, I'll see. I'm completely certain that Negan will become an issue with the new suspicious group, but don't you dare tell me. :p

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Or.... "they talked!".... Don't worry won't say anything else..

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm up to episode 130 in the comics and Eugene's confession caught me by surprise in the show. I was wondering why in the comic, it was 2 years later after all out war and and no talk of Eugene saving the world? I assume he comes clean sometime after this point, if I did not overlook it...

25. Svend macrumors member

Eugene was found out as not being a scientist in the comics. It was like 60 or 70 comics in from what I remember.