The Walt Disney Company to Acquire 21st Century Fox Assets Resulting in Majority Control Over Hulu

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
That does not sound good for consumers. Disney will have tremendous negoitatiating powers and now will be able to charge enough licensing where no other streaming services will be willing to pay it, and thus Disney will only be available via their own service.

So now customers will have to signup for an additional service or in the case of people who can't afford that won't be able to enjoy Disney content any more. For many if it's not on Netflix people simply won't see the content any more and won't be willing to pay for another service.

Reactions: HMFIC03 and WWPD

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Disney hasn't acquired Fox assets. It's reached an agreement to acquire them. In order for the acquisition to happen, it needs approval from the shareholders of both companies and the relevant regulatory agencies and, assuming it gets those approvals, won't happen until late 2018 or 2019.
Thank you for clarifying. That means there's still hope to prevent even more consolidation of content in the hands of fewer people, which is bad for everyone in the long term except Disney.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
That does not sound good for consumers. Disney will have tremendous negoitatiating powers and now will be able to charge enough licensing where no other streaming services will be willing to pay it, and thus Disney will only be available via their own service.

So now customers will have to signup for an additional service or in the case of people who can't afford that won't be able to enjoy Disney content any more. For many if it's not on Netflix people simply won't see the content any more and won't be willing to pay for another service.
I agree it's horrible. Look at how they did not play ball with Apple on 4K HDR!!! I hate how these greed money corporations are buying as much as they can to please their shareholders. But hey, vote with your wallet!
Not good but hey look who owned it before - Murdoch - not sure which is more evil.
Interesting times but hey, we all have lives outside of silly things like TV etc so I guess that we should all move on. I guess these companies are all as truly as bad as each other. At the end of the day, they all want your money. It's how you play it!

Last edited by a moderator:

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Patiently awaiting a SILVER SURFER movie, make it happen!
I was young so I have nostalgia goggles, but I do think the Silver Surfer parts of FF2 were actually kinda cool. Minus Galactus cloud. But the idea of the Surfer in MCU is just insane!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
As just posted by Carnegie in previous post and in the news - this is a proposed deal. Some news reports think this could take a year to conclude.

FAKE NEWS TITLE.
No, not a fake new headline, just a poorly written one. Change the tense to future and it's 100% accurate. Fake news is when the gist of a story is based on inaccurate information.

Reactions: zapmymac

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
So, how long until Dr Strange sends the X-Men, Avengers and the Agents of Shield to a galaxy a long time ago far far away? To change the timeline and help the Jedi defeat the Sith, Clone Troopers and save the Republic.

Answering questions like can Wolverine defeat Darth Vader? Can the Hulk withstand a Deathstar blast?

I do wonder if Disney owns majority rights in Netflix Marvel series. If they do. That could mean they get pulled and put on Hulu. I wouldn't mind a Defenders crossover episode with Agents of Shield. Both shows are better written than the MCU/X-Men movies. Although I'd rather have the Defenders stay on Netflix. Netflix has some very talented writers. Disney would probably add some cute robot or 8 year old kid with fantastic powers. Ruining those series.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
As much as I like seeing the Marvel properties coming together, I fear this will lead to much more homogeneous films. Disney films tend to be “safe and unchallenging”. Fewer players in the market overall is bad for consumers.

Reactions: zapmymac

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Tim Cook's toe in the water is one toe lost.
Apple blew another chance to enter (let alone dominate) the content industry (ok, Eddu Cue will be playing caraoke...) which is better off being platform independant/separated from hardware anyway. There is no single UI, no iTV and there never will be one. Apple is great in iPhone/iPad and mediocre in anything beyond.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Based on what I have read so far this morning, Iger is shooting for three different VOD services. HULU, ESPN, and Disney. This would really suck.

This means I would be paying $12 for Netflix, $63 for HULU, probably $15-$20 for ESPN, and another $15-$20 for Disney. And let’s not forget the $80 for internet from Comcast. I could essentially be spending close to $200 a month for content. Comcast doesn’t seem so bad anymore.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Kind of a pricey acquisition just to add the Fox fanfare back to the Star Wars movies.
Netflix’s market cap is much more than that number. Now Disney has a far greater quantity of compelling content touching all market demos, they own BAMF for distribution (not to mention controlling Hulu). Seems like they have all the pieces for a product far more valuable than Netflix and they got them for a steal.

neliason

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Disney hasn't acquired Fox assets. It's reached an agreement to acquire them. In order for the acquisition to happen, it needs approval from the shareholders of both companies and the relevant regulatory agencies and, assuming it gets those approvals, won't happen until late 2018 or 2019.
I agree it is only an agreement. But the shareholders will approve. If they don’t then the executives will get the law changed so it goes through anyway. That is what happened when shareholders of Wachovia bank didn’t go along with the the First Union merger. As for the regulatory agencies they exist to live off the largesse of taxpayers and rubber stamp everything.

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Man they keep just getting bigger and bigger. And Disney owning star wars, you just know its going to affect every movie. That Porg thing? Merchandise. Pure stuffy toys and lunchbox fodder.