The Walt Disney Company to Acquire 21st Century Fox Assets Resulting in Majority Control Over Hulu

TheColtr

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
California
This feels like it should be illegal? I don't know.

Disney will benefit greatly from this for their streaming service to compete with Netflix I guess.
I’m not a lawyer, but this feels a little anticompetitive if you ask me.
[doublepost=1513282309][/doublepost]I’m unsure of this, but does this include fox tv show properties? It would destroy my life if Disney messed with Simpson’s, familyguy and bobs burgers, or the Orville.

Edit: just read the article again ... they did :(

Last edited:
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Just to reiterate, Bob Iger said there is a future in R-rated movies in the MCU (including more Deadpool sequels), so calm down guys.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/14/disney-r-rated-marvel-movies-fox-deadpool-x-men/

Edit: Not going to lie, I wanna see Deadpool show up in like Avengers 4 and be like "okay... I'm in a PG-13 movie... have to be careful of what I say, as we only get 2 ****s... ****!... MOTHERF-- scenechange"

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"My Own Private Idaho”
Just to reiterate, Bob Iger said there is a future in R-rated movies in the MCU (including more Deadpool sequels), so calm down guys.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/14/disney-r-rated-marvel-movies-fox-deadpool-x-men/

Edit: Not going to lie, I wanna see Deadpool show up in like Avengers 4 and be like "okay... I'm in a PG-13 movie... have to be careful of what I say, as we only get 2 ****s... ****!... MOTHERF-- scenechange"
Widely known - R rated films/franchises will continue to be made under 20th Century Fox Studios...

Such panic and hate on the Internet.

A "Green Up-Arrow" on this deal ("The Orville", S1E7, "Majority Rule")... ;)

Seth McFarlane wouldn't want any of his shows behind a Disney paywall, like what CBS did with ST: Disco...

Though Disney did say that the live action Star Wars TV series will be on their subscription service.

This is great for Fox shows (Gotham I heard) that viewership is not that high so Disney can keep it going by letting Fans pay for it through subscriptions. It is not like CBS All Access where there's only really 1 show (ST: D) to subscribe to...

Disney just bought a library of movies and shows from essentially the dawn of Moving Pictures and the dawn of Television - just fathom that... :eek:

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
As a heavy user of Hulu this makes me a bit nervous. I was okay with them acquiring all that other stuff, but didn't realize they would control Hulu now too. I hope they don't mess it up.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Does this mean Netflix will lose all Fox movies too?

Now we are talking about a Netflix killer.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
I hope the Feds push back but they probably won't.

Is Laurene Powell Jobs still the largest shareholder of Disney stock?
Hope the Feds push back? It seems like they're too busy playing whack a mole with the whiny public that seem to be complaining about getting screwed.
I'd forgotten about Mrs P-Jobs, but did Disney reject the other parts involving Fox"News" or is Count Rupert coveting them?
[doublepost=1513348624][/doublepost]
Does this mean Netflix will lose all Fox movies too?

Now we are talking about a Netflix killer.
Probably after the current agreements expire. Ouch.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Asking seriously...why?
Because, for those old enough to remember a 'kinder gentler Disney', this isn't a kinder gentler Disney.

This Disney has Mickey's teeth bared in the semidarkness and he's gone rabid... Consolidation of this type is rarely good for anyone concerned. Time will tell, but this is not smelling good. How long until this all collapses under the immense weight of it all.

And isn't it petty that the DOJ is greasing the skids for this merger, and trying everything to stop the AT&T merger.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hope the Feds push back? It seems like they're too busy playing whack a mole with the whiny public that seem to be complaining about getting screwed.
I'd forgotten about Mrs P-Jobs, but did Disney reject the other parts involving Fox"News" or is Count Rupert coveting them?
Netflix has seen the writing on the wall for awhile, which is why their movie library now consists of stuff they produce themselves, and stuff that you would have found left over at Blockbuster when you arrived too late on a Friday night before a long holiday weekend.

No reason for content producers to let netflix profit from their content when the producers can distribute it themselves.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Ruppert will retain Fox News. Probably for a sale to Sinclair Broadcasting Group, and there goes the idea of 'free and fair' news and journalism.
[doublepost=1513350285][/doublepost]
Netflix has seen the writing on the wall for awhile, which is why their movie library now consists of stuff they produce themselves, and stuff that you would have found left over at Blockbuster when you arrived too late on a Friday night before a long holiday weekend.

No reason for content producers to let netflix profit from their content when the producers can distribute it themselves.
And with Net Neutrality dead, it's very clear that the writing on the wall for stand alone content providers is that their days are numbered.

Wired has a great article (one of many) detailing the changes in the Internet post Net Neutrality. Expect less innovation, less services, and MORE FEES!!! And will Netflix, and other providers be able to survive? Stay tuned...

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Probably not. Lots of competitive streaming services.
Owner of content and owner of closed service should be separate, IMHO, as similar regulatory provisions exist in some places.

Last edited:

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
You just threw in a lot of political discourse / conjecture for a simply post of mine about Anti-Trust & Shareholders. I don't think any of it was necessary. Surprised you didn't put in a few points about "lib-tards" and "cucks" in there just for extra wow factor.

Reactions: adnbek

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Ruppert will retain Fox News. Probably for a sale to Sinclair Broadcasting Group, and there goes the idea of 'free and fair' news and journalism.
[doublepost=1513350285][/doublepost]

And with Net Neutrality dead, it's very clear that the writing on the wall for stand alone content providers is that their days are numbered.

Wired has a great article (one of many) detailing the changes in the Internet post Net Neutrality. Expect less innovation, less services, and MORE FEES!!! And will Netflix, and other providers be able to survive? Stay tuned...
The whole reason for this repeal is that Don's mates and/or controllers have plans for screwing more money out of everything, now that the internet is almost as important as electricity and oil, but more importantly they can shut down dissent simply by pricing it out of the market and throttling it.
You think Comcast and friends are hurting you now? You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The whole reason for this repeal is that Don's mates and/or controllers have plans for screwing more money out of everything, now that the internet is almost as important as electricity and oil, but more importantly they can shut down dissent simply by pricing it out of the market and throttling it.
You think Comcast and friends are hurting you now? You ain't seen nothin' yet.
I fear that you are right. Soon, 'choice' will be driven by who provides your internet service, and what you can afford.

And they think that 'regulation' kills things. No, it's often the LACK of regulation that actually kills things. Both literally and figuratively.

jlc1978

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2009
The problem I have with comparisons to electricity is that the moves by the FCC move the internet closer to the electrical system model. In it you have generation (content providers) and transmission/distribution (ISPs). All are paid on a consumption basis. Even T/D is not neutral, you can pay for a higher level of assured service (fast lane), such as being last to interrupt (throttle) if you want. Most regulated utilities are on a demand pricing model, with preference given to supplying certain users over others.

The fundamental underlying issues is ISPs are often suppliers of content over cable and see that revenue diminish as cord cutting grows; they want to protect their revenue streams and the broadband pipe is the next logical place to raise revenue. The real bloodbath will occur when wireless / cellular becomes a viable option for delivering content; then land line ISPs will no longer be able to rely on monopoly or duopoly protections to keep out competitors as OTA transmission bypasses them entirely. Power line broadband has potential as well but requires T/D companies to think different about what business they are in and as regulated utilities they face other hurdles as well in getting into the ISP business; whereas cellular companies already are ISPs.

The mouse's next meal could be a major cellular carrier so they can control the entire value chain end to end from content development to end user delivery; cutting out any middlemen entirely.